• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

I know you've got your deluded little fantasies about me and keep preserving with your pet name for me. I'd keep workshopping that by the way its not catching on. Keith Houchen at least has it down to a fine art 

I call lots of people by pet names Infinitony, not just you. It's for me, not for you, it's something I do in real life as well. I generally do it to people I like, hence Scorchers/Scorchinio, Dazzler, and  Rashers to name but three. That's why unlike Kool Keith I'm not trying to be insulting. If it comes off like that, my apologies. 

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

This is quite a good promo.

He's obviously not TK then 

24 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I call lots of people by pet names Infinitony, not just you. It's for me, not for you, it's something I do in real life as well. I generally do it to people I like, hence Scorchers/Scorchinio, Dazzler, and  Rashers to name but three. That's why unlike Kool Keith I'm not trying to be insulting. If it comes off like that, my apologies.

Okay. Sorry if there has been an offence anywhere. Over the years of posting here I don't think we've ever had much of an interaction. So the other week when you replied to something with a play on my username. I figured it was meant as a dig. As is the way of the internet.

Basic point here. I wasn't trying to cherrypick my stats, I just went with the most recent example that met the criteria. Q1-Q2 is a known point of significant drop-offs ratings wise. Q1 can skew high for a variety of reasons. Changeover between one show starting and ending. DVR recordings start from the beginning/joining in progress but go back to the beginning but can then fast forward or skip chunks entirely.

472k-383k doesn't seem as significant as some of the coverage would suggest since it does cover quarter to quarter. I would be curious to see the minute by minutes. As to get to that Q1 average of 472k, how high was the turnout for the first couple of minutes? Was it reasonably steady throughout the quarter or did it start at say 600k-700k with the dramatic drop-off after the announcement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I don't know if ticket sales would fall under the remit of this thread, but very happy to hear AEW have sold 10,000 for Revolution on day one. Sting's retirement in an area where it means a lot to the people was always going to draw a healthy number, but still pleasantly surprised. Wrestling's always a better watch with a big, noisy crowd and AEW haven't had enough of those lately. Also Sting's AEW run has been such a joyous ride, so I'm glad they'll be able to give him a proper send off. 

Edited by JLM

10 hours ago, JLM said:

I don't know if ticket sales would fall under the remit of this thread, but very happy to hear AEW have sold 10,000 for Revolution on day one. Sting's retirement in an area where it means a lot to the people was always going to draw a healthy number, but still pleasantly surprised. Wrestling's always a better watch with a big, noisy crowd and AEW haven't had enough of those lately. Also Sting's AEW run has been such a joyous ride, so I'm glad they'll be able to give him a proper send off. 

I'm legit considering flying into NC for a couple of days for this show, because I think they will end up opening up the whole arena. Just need to work out how much of a financial hit it'll be, plus not sure how good or bad public transport is in that area (since it's been pretty shit every other place in the US I've been). Been thinking maybe 3 nights in a shitty hotel, a cheap return flight (if such a thing exists) and tickets to the PPV, plus maybe Collision prior, wouldn't break the bank entirely?

In regards to the ticket sales, it seems AEW's audience still sees the PPV as a ticket worth buying (and given the quality of AEW PPVs, why not?) but the issue for TV has been:

- a real lack of promotion in the market

- starting with high prices, and then cutting the prices a week or two out

- running too large arenas for TV

Edited by 69MeDon

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

running too large arenas for TV

I think this is the key thing. AEW are getting between 3-5,000 fans on average for most of their shows which is a perfectly acceptable and realistic number for a wrestling promotion of their size. However when you book 12,000 seater arenas every week it's always going to look and sound like shit. I'm assuming it's for production reasons but obviously a properly lit fully packed 4,000 seat building would look and sound way better.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I think this is the key thing. AEW are getting between 3-5,000 fans on average for most of their shows which is a perfectly acceptable and realistic number for a wrestling promotion of their size. However when you book 12,000 seater arenas every week it's always going to look and sound like shit. I'm assuming it's for production reasons but obviously a properly lit fully packed 4,000 seat building would look and sound way better.

While you are not wrong, WWE do the same and they are only pulling in 6-8000 on average in similar sized venues for TV, and yet not as noticeable.

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

While you are not wrong, WWE do the same and they are only pulling in 6-8000 on average in similar sized venues for TV, and yet not as noticeable.

Really? I was under the impression Smackdown was pulling 10-11,000 a week? But yeah, WWE has superior production capabilities, bigger crowds and fake crowd noise so yeah, it's always going to look better than what it is.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Are we saying that the main difference between the way WWE is presented on TV and the way AEW is presented is down to the silky skills of the much maligned Kevin Dunne? Perhaps instead of signing Ospreay they should have gone for a ground based animal and signed The Beaver? Perhaps he is the most vital cog in the wheel. As Gooshmeister pointed out in the Dynamite thread, AEW has had a stellar week of matches, Perhaps they would have been even better sprinkled with that Dynamic Dunne Dust. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Are we saying that the main difference between the way WWE is presented on TV and the way AEW is presented is down to the silky skills of the much maligned Kevin Dunne? Perhaps instead of signing Ospreay they should have gone for a ground based animal and signed The Beaver? Perhaps he is the most vital cog in the wheel. As Gooshmeister pointed out in the Dynamite thread, AEW has had a stellar week of matches, Perhaps they would have been even better sprinkled with that Dynamic Dunne Dust. 

Kingston vs Garcia definitely didn't have enough camera cuts for my liking. One every 2 seconds would have turned that 5-star dud into a 6-star epic for sure.

1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think WWE have had a higher ceiling than that. 

Even then 3-5000 compared to 6-8000 is going to be half what WWE are working with. There should be a difference. 

• Paid Members
50 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Really? I was under the impression Smackdown was pulling 10-11,000 a week? But yeah, WWE has superior production capabilities, bigger crowds and fake crowd noise so yeah, it's always going to look better than what it is.

Some weeks, for sure. There’s one in Canada next year which is over 12k. But Raw is selling less on average, did smidge under 7k last night according to Wrestle Tix. And when AEW was in the Yum Arena they had about 4k and it was one of the ones picked up as being empty, but the last WWE TV taping a year earlier only did 6k and that’s a 20k arena.