Ruud Gullit’s Sexy Football 2023/2024 Domestic Only Thread

Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, King Mal the Glorious said:

Pretty sure you don't get the second best goal tally in the league (boo City) without playing some alright football.

You can still score goals playing turgid football. 

It's getting embarrassing now mate, you lost, get over it.

This all goes back to last Christmas when we had the audacity to come to the Emirates, and, rather than play open expansive football and get battered we decided to play defensive and utilise some time wasting tactics, you might not like it but you were a lot better than us so to get a result we had to play differently. I find the arrogance that we shouldn't play like that embarrassing, like little old Newcastle should just come to Arsenal and roll over, how dare they play to their strengths to try and get a result (which we got) there is only one way to play football etc etc.

That was one match, we don't play like that against Crystal Palace and Bournemouth. You don't score as many goals as we do by playing turgid shut up shop football, we can play when we want to and need to, on the other hand we can also adapt to try and get a result against better teams if we have to as well. We're not Man City, can't play lovely football every week, we're not good enough. You do what you do to get a result.

Take it as a compliment we played like that at the Emirates, anyone who watches us regularly will know we don't always play like that. Look at PSG, Man Utd last week, Palace the other week, Villa opening weekend to name a few this season where we've played some good stuff and gave teams a hiding.

The narrative about us being like a Stoke or Burnley are way off the mark and stinks of sour grapes because like I say we didn't roll over and actually try and compete now.

I should also add, the all conquering, total elite football playing Arsenal had just one shot on target against us last Saturday. Can't always play like Brazil in the 70s.

Edited by Doog

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Doog said:

I think so yeah - to qualify this year will arguably be harder/a bigger achievement than last year in some ways (though 5th place getting in will help) but there's no doubt we're on an upwards trajectory and I'd be mildly confident over the next ten years we make it more times than we don't.

Won't be easy of course but the squad is only going to get better and we've been playing very well for 2 years now so it's not some fluke.

I think being regulars in the CL is just too hard for any team to claim at the moment, other than City. I'd say they are the only team that can lay that claim with confidence. You effectively have a 'big 7' at the moment (well, a big 1+6, and yes I'm still including Chelsea), potentially more if the likes of Brighton and Villa can improve further. All 7 of these teams have played Champions League football over the past 12 months, which is mad. But I would say Newcastle will be regulars in Europe now, but not necessarily CL- not every season anyway.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Doog said:

This all goes back to last Christmas when we had the audacity to come to the Emirates, and, rather than play open expansive football and get battered we decided to play defensive and utilise some time wasting tactics, you might not like it but you were a lot better than us so to get a result we had to play differently. I find the arrogance that we shouldn't play like that embarrassing, like little old Newcastle should just come to Arsenal and roll over, how dare they play to their strengths to try and get a result (which we got) there is only one way to play football etc etc.

That was one match, we don't play like that against Crystal Palace and Bournemouth. You don't score as many goals as we do by playing turgid shut up shop football, we can play when we want to and need to, on the other hand we can also adapt to try and get a result against better teams if we have to as well. We're not Man City, can't play lovely football every week, we're not good enough. You do what you do to get a result.

Take it as a compliment we played like that at the Emirates, anyone who watches us regularly will know we don't always play like that. Look at PSG, Man Utd last week, Palace the other week, Villa opening weekend to name a few this season where we've played some good stuff and gave teams a hiding.

You've given this far more thought than it warrants. I have only watched Newcastle when they play Arsenal and there's been a whole lot of turgid football. I can't speak to what you do against other clubs, because it's not wildly relevant to me. 

1 hour ago, Doog said:

It's getting embarrassing now mate, you lost, get over it.

I don't massively care about the loss to Newcastle, it's more the sportswashing and the less-than-stellar behaviour of your owners that I'm uneasy about. 

Edited by mim731

• Paid Members

I put it on for a bit in the second half while I was waiting for my son to emerge from under his igloo of pillows so we could watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine and I'm not sure, at this level, I've ever seen a more spineless team. It spreads through to new players like cancer as well. What the fuck do they do in training all week? Pound for pound it's probably the worst squad ever assembled.

Hundreds and hundreds of millions of pounds spent on the wrong players at the wrong time (Lindelof, Antony) , players they don't need (Mount, van der Beek), wingers that have no pace and one trick (Antony), strikers who have one half-decent Serie A season under their belt (Hojlund), flat track bully referee stalking frauds (Fernandes), players who are too old for their fee (Casemiro), stop-gap loan or short term deal players who are overrated or old or shit (Amrabat, Evans, Reguilon, Eriksen), and players who are just shit (Onana, Maguire, Lindelof, Dalot). The only really good signing they've made for years is Martinez but he'll probably be shit when he comes back as well.

Sancho would rather play FIFA, Rashford's moping because Sancho's been sent away from the dinner table like Regina in Mean Girls, Garnacho is the new Adnan Januzaj and Antony Martial has been there a decade and still hasn't scored 100 goals for them.

Just a miserable, joyless club destroying itself from within. Imagine paying to watch these cunts.

Edited by Devon Malcolm