Bbc ADHD documentary

Keith Houchen

5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

So it’s just a generalisation then with an assumption but no evidence. Whilst I’m not saying some people won’t try it, the majority don’t. This guy has purposefully cheated AND jumped the NHS queue for a bbc documentary. As someone whose partner is Autistic I expected your response to not be so Tory.

It’s not a generalisation, I’ve literally told you what to do to find it. Would you like screenshots from the groups? Do you remember Ralphy leaving the forum because he got rightly taken to task for not accepting the NHS saying he wasn’t autistic and asking for ways to get diagnosed? I think you may have been pulled him up on it too

I’ve never said the “majority” try it. Time and again I’ve said the problem is people seeing a disability as a cool label and self diagnosing or paying to have it. Not once have I said most people on the waiting list are faking it. Thankfully we are in a time where there is more understanding of symptoms so of course the amount of people, women in particular, trying to find out what is wrong will increase waiting times. 

Im guessing comprehension isn’t your strong suit so I’ll try again. My issue isn’t people finding out what wrong, I’d encourage anyone to do that. It’s people reverse engineering it. Theyve decided they have a condition and won’t be happy until they are told they have that condition. This journalist has shown how easy and profitable that is to do. That’s my issue. It’s sickening. 

Also I said the biggest problem is years of underfunding from successive governments so you can shove that Tory slander right up your shitpipe. And using my partner as an emotive argument? Fuck off. Not as bad as you using your sons autism as a reason you posted like a roaring cunt but it’s still a cunt thing to do. Fuck you. 

But now you’ve brought her up in this, it’s actually her who is in these groups and is pissed off with the constant fakers and chasers. She is the one pointing them all out to me. She is the one being told she is gatekeeping because she is actually diagnosed. She is the one fed up of seeing people who want the label but not the condition. She’s the one seeing self diagnosed people kicking diagnosed people out of groups because they suggest to people who have been told multiple times they don’t have a condition that they might not actually have it. 

If you’re fine with companies accepting money to tell people they have a disability after being told by the leading authorities on the subject that they don’t, good for you. I find the practice disgusting. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

It’s not a generalisation, I’ve literally told you what to do to find it. Would you like screenshots from the groups? Do you remember Ralphy leaving the forum because he got rightly taken to task for not accepting the NHS saying he wasn’t autistic and asking for ways to get diagnosed? I think you may have been pulled him up on it too

What’s the group called? Why are you in the group? How many people are in the group that are not trying to cheat? I mean if you’re not in there to cheat, how many are like you?  Also didn’t Ralph’s get turned down for a diagnosis not got one and didn’t like the result (he was a self diagnoser though)

I’ve never said the “majority” try it. Time and again I’ve said the problem is people seeing a disability as a cool label and self diagnosing or paying to have it. Not once have I said most people on the waiting list are faking it. Thankfully we are in a time where there is more understanding of symptoms so of course the amount of people, women in particular, trying to find out what is wrong will increase waiting times. 

How many people do you actually think this applies to? 10%? 50%? More, less?

Im guessing comprehension isn’t your strong suit so I’ll try again. My issue isn’t people finding out what wrong, I’d encourage anyone to do that. It’s people reverse engineering it. Theyve decided they have a condition and won’t be happy until they are told they have that condition. This journalist has shown how easy and profitable that is to do. That’s my issue. It’s sickening. 

Has he? What he’s done is figured out the answers he needs, got people to lie on reports and then used that as his evidence. How else is a diagnosis meant to happen if it can’t be determined by a blood test or similar. So he’s lied and a psychiatrist believed him. He didn’t bung him a few quid and said can you just pretend I’m ADHD.

Also I said the biggest problem is years of underfunding from successive governments so you can shove that Tory slander right up your shitpipe. And using my partner as an emotive argument? Fuck off. Not as bad as you using your sons autism as a reason you posted like a roaring cunt but it’s still a cunt thing to do. Fuck you. 

Go fuck yourself you 2 joke  twat. My son had just been recently diagnosed, I was going through what was later diagnosed as depression and mentioned him being up at 2am and me being up with him as a fact. I didn’t blame Autism, but I didn’t explain it well because it’s something I don’t always find easy to do. If I’d have just said “yeah I regret posting what I did, I was over tired because I was up all night with my kid”, that wouldn’t give me a free pass, I shouldn’t have reacted as I did, but I went into too much detail about a situation I was in with unnecessary details (Something very common with ADHD if you didn’t know). So fuck off and find something new to pick me up on that happened within the last 5 years instead.

Mentioning your girlfriend, well you live with someone Autistic, rowing with someone Autistic about a documentary. I would have thought you would recognise the ableism surrounding this whole thing, instead you’re basically agreeing. So fuck you, you Daily Mail Twat.

But now you’ve brought her up in this, it’s actually her who is in these groups and is pissed off with the constant fakers and chasers. She is the one pointing them all out to me. She is the one being told she is gatekeeping because she is actually diagnosed. She is the one fed up of seeing people who want the label but not the condition. She’s the one seeing self diagnosed people kicking diagnosed people out of groups because they suggest to people who have been told multiple times they don’t have a condition that they might not actually have it. 

Oh so it’s not you after all.

If you’re fine with companies accepting money to tell people they have a disability after being told by the leading authorities on the subject that they don’t, good for you. I find the practice disgusting. 

That isn’t happening though is it. You keep saying it, doesn’t make it true.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

Well that was pretty scary. The way they’re blatantly cashing in on a rise of awareness of ADHD is perverse. Pay for a quick diagnosis and then monthly prescriptions (in one case a hundred quid). Disability chasers are just dickheads obviously but these clinics are fucking monsters. 

Tin foil time but I don’t see it changing. The obvious solution is to fund proper NHS services so these profiteers aren’t in such demand, but with how embedded tories and to a degree Labour are with the private healthcare sector, they aren’t going to turn off their money printing machine. Absolutely obscene. 

• Paid Members

That it can be this easy to obtain a diagnosis is awful. It took me years to get my autism diagnosis, they interviewed my mum, I had forms to fill out, I got referred to a private place by the NHS, but they gave me a full report and everything. There was so much imposter syndrome and "what if it isn't this and I'm back at square 1?" in the time leading up to my assessment and diagnosis. 

So many neurodivergent people and organisations I follow on Instagram are up in arms at this because it undermines a whole section of people, and throws them all into doubt. I've seen people who've been diagnosed by the places in the documentary asking themselves whether they really have ADHD or whether it was because they paid the money to the clinic. There are going to be a LOT of complaints to the BBC about this. 

I was contemplating asking my doctor about a possible adhd assessment as I worry that it's a conorbid condition I have alongside my being autistic, but the length of time it took to get my autism assessment and things like that make me really unsure about it. 

On an unrelated note I got a letter from the NAS with information about The Autism Show at Manchester Central in July. I'm wondering whether I can stay at a friend's on the Friday night and go to both days of it as it looks interesting. 

https://manchester.autismshow.co.uk/

I think there's one in Birmingham as well? 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

That it can be this easy to obtain a diagnosis is awful. It took me years to get my autism diagnosis, they interviewed my mum, I had forms to fill out, I got referred to a private place by the NHS, but they gave me a full report and everything. There was so much imposter syndrome and "what if it isn't this and I'm back at square 1?" in the time leading up to my assessment and diagnosis. 

So many neurodivergent people and organisations I follow on Instagram are up in arms at this because it undermines a whole section of people, and throws them all into doubt. I've seen people who've been diagnosed by the places in the documentary asking themselves whether they really have ADHD or whether it was because they paid the money to the clinic. There are going to be a LOT of complaints to the BBC about this.

And there should be. The response you've had to it is *exactly* the response that dozens of experts on the subject I've read in passing online predicted among those who have been diagnosed to have, and I'm sorry that it's had a destabilising effect on you. But I would implore you to completely disregard everything that you saw on it and stick with what you have been told, and avoid the kinds of autism groups who have been applauding this documentary. 

My experience with them, and those of my 16 year old, are that they're filled with symptom shaming. They're not interested in helping each other or those who are approaching a probable diagnosis. All they're interested in is weeding out people who they think are faking a diagnosis or, in some extreme cases, 'aren't autistic enough'. My kid has seen some horror stories from the sorts of groups who have endorsed this programme and that should tell you everything you need to know.

My friend went privately for the diagnosis process and found it every bit as exhaustive and in-depth a run of assessments as he partner did on the NHS. This documentary was one of those made with a specific result and this journalist got what he was looking for. It's going to be hugely damaging for so many people and the one time the BBC gives a prime-time TV slot to the subject of autism, this is what they come up with. Fuck 'em.

• Paid Members

It's especially bad after the Chris Packham and Christine McGuinness documentaries, which were both really good.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It's especially bad after the Chris Packham and Christine McGuinness documentaries, which were both really good.

Yeah, but there's an audience there for it, who are desperate to have it confirmed that, actually, it's all gone too far. It's the benefit scroungers narrative aimed at a different group of people.

I’m not sure what the point is other than confirmation bias. A woman I work with lies about still having a bad back so she can keep getting her Zapain’s prescribed, my uncle used to sell his prescription tramadol down the pub. Should it be harder for people to get prescription medicines and diagnosis? No should it fuck but it should be easier to get better more thorough examinations through more reputable medical facilities. Same applies to autism. I’ve seen and known the people Kieth is referring to, they’re a tiny vocal minority who don’t need the light shining on them as much as the real issues do.

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The one time the BBC gives a prime-time TV slot to the subject of autism, this is what they come up

This was about ADHD, not autism. 

55 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Yeah, but there's an audience there for it, who are desperate to have it confirmed that, actually, it's all gone too far. It's the benefit scroungers narrative aimed at a different group of people.

The narrative of this documentary was highlighting dodgy medical practices, and the companies making a healthy profit from said dodgy medical practices. 

37 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

who don’t need the light shining on them as much as the real issues do.

Yep. And as I said earlier, the real issues are an underfunded and (probably deliberately) neglected NHS neuro services, and if those services WERE up to scratch, there wouldn’t be these profiteering ghouls like the sort featured in the documentary.  

In the grand scheme of things, I suppose it makes not the slightest bit of difference, but after reading responses from people who this hits close to home to you, including Devon and Jazzy, I'm not gonna watch this documentary. 

I was interested, but I can see how much its upset people and I suppose one viewer less means nothing given the publicity that has surrounded it, but I'd feel better.

Citizen Smith over here.

52 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

In the grand scheme of things, I suppose it makes not the slightest bit of difference, but after reading responses from people who this hits close to home to you, including Devon and Jazzy, I'm not gonna watch this documentary. 

I was interested, but I can see how much its upset people and I suppose one viewer less means nothing given the publicity that has surrounded it, but I'd feel better.

Citizen Smith over here.

As someone who did watch it, the most upsetting thing for me was them saying the waiting list was over 5 years long. It should be noted that when the medical experts interviewed for the documentary talked about the meteoric rise in referrals, they saw it as a good thing and encouraged everyone who thinks they may have ADHD to seek a diagnosis. If this was a hit piece, the target wasn’t people with ADHD, or those seeking a diagnosis, as I say they were encouraged to carry on, the target was dodgy clinics cashing in on people suffering with having to wait on that waiting list. 

As Jazzy said 

8 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

That it can be this easy to obtain a diagnosis is awful

In one of the clinics, the journalist was diagnosed by a psychologist, and in another by a pharmacist! And of course, drugs were then pushed. It was like a sales task on the Apprentice where they upsold at the till. Utterly vile. 

As the NHS staff said, they understand people going private, indeed there are many private clinics that work in partnership with the NHS. Just be careful and carry out due diligence. In my opinion this was more like an episode of Rogue Traders than an attack on potentially disabled people. 

• Paid Members

This thread reads like a lot of people moaning about some TV that they didn't actually watch, just read about. Sounds about right for a wrestling forum. I watched it and thought it was both fascinating and alarming. It was absolutely not a 'Super-Size Me for ADHD' piece.

4 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

This thread reads like a lot of people moaning about some TV that they didn't actually watch, just read about. Sounds about right for a wrestling forum. I watched it and thought it was both fascinating and alarming. It was absolutely not a 'Super-Size Me for ADHD' piece.

Yep. “Super-Size Me for autism” was the claim, for some reason.