Jump to content

Bbc ADHD documentary


Keith Houchen

Recommended Posts

Whilst not autism, I see a lot of parallels with this. 

People, usually young, with anxiety and trauma seeing a social media post, finding it relatable, having long thorough assessments on the NHS and those experts telling them they don’t have it, then going private to get the diagnosis they want, or just self diagnosing anyway. 
 

The most telling line in this article is “If you’re willing to pay for an assessment, you’ll get a diagnosis”. It’s on the iplayer and is on Panorama tonight at 8 on BBC1

Edited by Chest Rockwell
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Whilst not autism, I see a lot of parallels with this. 

People, usually young, with anxiety and trauma seeing a social media post, finding it relatable, having long thorough assessments on the NHS and those experts telling them they don’t have it, then going private to get the diagnosis they want, or just self diagnosing anyway. 
 

Big issues with this. Where is the basis for this? Waiting lists can be for years. I am looking to go private to get my full assessment as I have been told it will be a minimum of 3 years waiting on the NHS. I went private for an assessment because the Dr initially dismissed me as I was too high functioning to get a positive Autism diagnosis. When I spoke to my assessor before my assessment I asked her what the rates were, and she said the majority of people she sees do get a diagnosis, but there were of course people who didn't get them. If you are reputable, you're not going to just give a diagnosis because someone paid for it. And what this guy has done anyway is lied. He could have instead decided to do the same whilst faking heart attack symptoms to prove the NHS or private doctors are able to misdiagnose as well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

I've seen quite a few people angry at that article. This thread does a decent job of explaining why.

 

I see a lot of the increase of people being diagnosed being, in large part, about increased understanding of things like ADHD - particularly with regards to women - and a (long-overdue) reduction in stigma.

At 68, my mother's recently been diagnosed with ADHD. While she's been an incredibly high-achiever, she would have likely benefited a lot from a greater understanding of this when she was younger. Someone else close to me has been considering a diagnosis, realising that ADHD could be a better explanation for a lot of her issues than the depression it was assumed to be for a long time. This understanding could have been literally life-changing - but her biggest hesitation is around her behaviour as a child.

It's difficult, complicated stuff, and it's difficult not to feel defensive and see this kind of thing as being people looking to write off people I care about as trend-chasers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

. If you are reputable, you're not going to just give a diagnosis because someone paid for it.

But that’s the issue. Who is reputable and who isn’t? Add on that medication is then accessible with a diagnosis, it’s profitable for medication providers. That’s a red flag. 
 

 

10 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

And what this guy has done anyway is lied

Has he? It sounds like he gave exactly the same information about himself and his life to four assessors and the paid ones all reached the same conclusion that someone with more expertise dismissed? I’m not sure what it was he lied about? It’s a long article so I may have missed it (This of course adds to my partners theory that I have ADHD!)

13 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

could have instead decided to do the same whilst faking heart attack symptoms to prove the NHS or private doctors are able to misdiagnose as well. 

But then it would’ve been spotted he was faking, or that it wasn’t a heart attack as there is indisputable evidence of heart attacks. With neuro conditions, it’s more complicated. Plus if charlatans say he had a heart attack when he didn’t, he’s exposed charlatans. 
 

9 minutes ago, Chris B said:

It's difficult, complicated stuff,

Indeed. That’s what concerns me about these diagnoses without the thorough and rigorous assessment and criteria. As you say, neurodevelopmental issues don’t cause depression or mental health issues, but undiagnosed issues can, and often do lead to depression and other mental health issues. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Has he? It sounds like he gave exactly the same information about himself and his life to four assessors and the paid ones all reached the same conclusion that someone with more expertise dismissed? I’m not sure what it was he lied about? It’s a long article so I may have missed it (This of course adds to my partners theory that I have ADHD!)

It seems kind of bullshit to go 'undercover' with private clinics, while being upfront about what he's investigating to the NHS clinician - that's introducing an incentive (proving the NHS is better) to one clinician that the others didn't have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Chris B said:

It seems kind of bullshit to go 'undercover' with private clinics, while being upfront about what he's investigating to the NHS clinician - that's introducing an incentive (proving the NHS is better) to one clinician that the others didn't have.

True but he wasn’t lying as he still could’ve had ADHD (which if we choose to believe the private clinics, he does) As a journalist he was following up concerns of how easily diagnoses of a serious condition are handed out to those who pay for them. 
 

It does seem that there is more scrutiny the more you pay, but it’s a massive concern to me that the lower end of the market can dish them out willy nilly. It’s akin to those assessments you have to do when buying painkillers online. They’re concern is money and not healthcare. 
 

The issue for me isn’t people being diagnosed with ADHD, it’s who is doing the diagnosing and how little scrutiny they use. It’s dangerous. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

True but he wasn’t lying as he still could’ve had ADHD (which if we choose to believe the private clinics, he does) As a journalist he was following up concerns of how easily diagnoses of a serious condition are handed out to those who pay for them. 
 

It does seem that there is more scrutiny the more you pay, but it’s a massive concern to me that the lower end of the market can dish them out willy nilly. It’s akin to those assessments you have to do when buying painkillers online. They’re concern is money and not healthcare. 
 

The issue for me isn’t people being diagnosed with ADHD, it’s who is doing the diagnosing and how little scrutiny they use. It’s dangerous. 

He said that he researched the condition so knew what they were looking for in their questions. So yeah he may have given the same answers to different people, but he’s made it up based on genuine issues he doesn’t have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

He said that he researched the condition so knew what they were looking for in their questions. So yeah he may have given the same answers to different people, but he’s made it up based on genuine issues he doesn’t have.

Ah, he did exactly what those hunting an ND condition when they’ve been told they don’t have one, or have been diagnosed with one they weren’t hoping for? The ones who ask in groups what to do or say to get the diagnosis they’re chasing?

Its very worrying that after the proper scrutiny and assessment, you can just pay someone to say you have a condition that experts have told you you don’t have. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Ah, he did exactly what those hunting an ND condition when they’ve been told they don’t have one, or have been diagnosed with one they weren’t hoping for? The ones who ask in groups what to do or say to get the diagnosis they’re chasing?

Its very worrying that after the proper scrutiny and assessment, you can just pay someone to say you have a condition that experts have told you you don’t have. 

People cheat a lots of things in life. Not really sure what the point is you’re making. As Chris said earlier ADHD is getting diagnosed more now because of better understanding. I had no idea I could have had ADHD. Autism seemed highly likely and that’s what I was booked in for. The ADHD was recognised at the same time. But all this does is suggest if you lie and you’re willing to pay, you can get a diagnosis. Meanwhile tens of thousands who are waiting for an appointment, nearly all with genuine concerns, are made to feel it’s a fad or craze because the system can be cheated, making it harder for all to get correct diagnoses and the help required. It also allows the right wing press to push it as not a real thing and make people who already are worrying about it feel they either won’t get a diagnosis because the lines will change or maybe question themselves.

For example everyday since that diagnosis I’ve question myself and what ADHD is. Do I play up to it too much, have they got it wrong? Rather than what I should be which is relieved I finally got some answers about myself and working on acceptance and how I can try and make my life better. This is going to push things back for people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Not really sure what the point is you’re making

This. 

 

26 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

if you lie and you’re willing to pay, you can get a diagnosis. Meanwhile tens of thousands who are waiting for an appointment, nearly all with genuine concerns, are made to feel it’s a fad or craze because the system can be cheated, making it harder for all to get correct diagnoses and the help required.

The biggest problem is of course years of underfunding by uncaring governments.  My point is I can’t understand why people want to opt into a disability when they don’t have it, and see it as a quirky must have character trait. And how easy it is to obtain something they don’t have just by paying for it. Especially when there is medication involved. It’s something @BomberPat has touched upon with his “TikTok generation”. A few years ago it was Tourette’s, now it’s autism or ADHD. I’ve even started seeing people who pretend they need a wheelchair or crutches, or a white cane.  It’s very troubling and damaging to those who actually suffer or live with the disability. 
 

I find these companies profiting from disability, especially when it’s faked, completely abhorrent and morally bankrupt. I don’t know why that would be contentious. This journalist has shown how simple it is to fake it and line their pockets. 
 

It’s not about getting diagnosed, I know how long the waiting lists are so I can see why people who can would go private. My issue is with those who have been told by experts they don’t have a disability but then go off and pay someone to enable them. it’s about immoral practices and disability chasers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:


 

I find these companies profiting from disability, especially when it’s faked, completely abhorrent and morally bankrupt. I don’t know why that would be contentious. This journalist has shown how simple it is to fake it and line their pockets. 
 

It’s not about getting diagnosed, I know how long the waiting lists are so I can see why people who can would go private. My issue is with those who have been told by experts they don’t have a disability but then go off and pay someone to enable them. it’s about immoral practices and disability chasers. 

I’d look at my last post with the twitter comment in. I also am still waiting for you to tell me who these people are. Do they exist outside of the pages of the Daily Mail?

@SuperBacon Can be. But there are private doctors, psychologists etc. Some will say they work to NHS standards for diagnosis. That would mean with a diagnosis you could get that put on your NHS file and should be able to get medication that way as well. When looking at companies like this it’s worth looking at their record and what their diagnosis system is based upon. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’d look at my last post with the twitter comment in. I also am still waiting for you to tell me who these people are. Do they exist outside of the pages of the Daily Mail?

Join any autism Facebook page and you’ll see them multiple times a day. Search on TikTok for tips on how to pass an assessment. They’re mainly young people so you won’t find them in the Daily Mail. 
 

We have even seen it in this very thread. 
 

EDIT - @SuperBacon Three of these places are named in the article. As I said, the more you pay, the more reputable they seem. There are indeed private companies that the NHS sub out to but they tend to be more thorough than the Nick Riviera’s that the NHS don’t use. 

Edited by Keith Houchen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Join any autism Facebook page and you’ll see them multiple times a day. Search on TikTok for tips on how to pass an assessment. They’re mainly young people so you won’t find them in the Daily Mail. 
 

We have even seen it in this very thread. 

So it’s just a generalisation then with an assumption but no evidence. Whilst I’m not saying some people won’t try it, the majority don’t. This guy has purposefully cheated AND jumped the NHS queue for a bbc documentary. As someone whose partner is Autistic I expected you’re response to not be so Tory.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...