Bbc ADHD documentary

Keith Houchen

9 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Hopefully it will put to rest some of the tedious back and forth in the thread over the last few days.

Bill Murray Good Luck GIF by reactionseditor

That was an interesting read thanks.

This was also interesting from the most recent issue from Private Eye (yeah I still buy it sometimes) about how over reliance on the private sector takes doctors and nurses out of the NHS (often permanently) as they are basically recruiting from the same pool.

spacer.png

When even Jeremy Hunt is against privatisation, you know it's probably shit.

(Sorry to derail slightly. Also note my lovely blue jogging bottoms) 

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Here's a follow up piece to the Panorama documentary, by the NHS psychiatrist featured on the programme. Hopefully it will put to rest some of the tedious back and forth in the thread over the last few days.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/may/17/nhs-psychiatrist-adhd-underdiagnosis?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Hopefully, thanks for the article, it was a good read and pretty much said what the documentary said. Not enough resources can and does lead to dodgy fuckers exploiting a waiting list by not being robust. 

• Paid Members

The ADHD Adults podcast have done an episode about the Panorama documentary and it’s fascinating stuff. 

On 5/17/2023 at 1:20 PM, Arch Stanton said:

Here's a follow up piece to the Panorama documentary, by the NHS psychiatrist featured on the programme. Hopefully it will put to rest some of the tedious back and forth in the thread over the last few days.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/may/17/nhs-psychiatrist-adhd-underdiagnosis?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Give this a whirl. They make some great points The ADHD Adults podcast also available wherever you get your podcasts.

The king don’t miss 

And while this changes nothing about the what the documentary exposed, this, if true, is a shitty thing to do. It’s one thing posing as a Nazi to infiltrate them for instance, but infiltrating a private safe space for women is rank rotten in my opinion. 

• Paid Members

So a few highlights from that podcast

- He started working on this at the beginning of the year.

- All the main ADHD organisations reached out to the production team to offer support/guidance and were ignored

-NHS appointments for an ADHD diagnosis are never 3 1/2 hours (can confirm my daughter’s was just over 1 hour for her Autism diagnosis).

- The NHS doctor he saw was told in advance he didn’t think he had ADHD and he was making a documentary. The private clinics were not given this. As an assessment takes into account your personal experience they tend not to question certain things (same with any assessment really). But as you're going for an appointment I believe the assumption is your doing so because you believe you do have ADHD, rather than trying to prove you don’t.

There is more (and a freedom of information request has been asked of the journalist and what he was doing for the investigation). It’s a really good listen and they explain it better then even I can.

And none of that changes the fact that some companies are, by your own admission, dishing out diagnoses after too short a process. 

8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

can confirm my daughter’s was just over 1 hour for her Autism diagnosis).

That’s not ADHD. And again, I’m sure that one hour appointment was not the whole process. 

9 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The NHS doctor he saw was told in advance he didn’t think he had ADHD and he was making a documentary

But that’s because the NHS doctor wasn’t diagnosing him, he wanted to expose the fraudulent and potentially dangerous practices so that why he wanted to be involved in the documentary. He said all this in the article Arch posted. 

Thanks for the synopsis. I struggle with podcasts so that’s much appreciated.