AEW Saturday Collision

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

452 / .13

Rampage was 450 / .13

So just pipped Rampage.

Everyone knew the starting point and it was only going to be a struggle from there.

It’s on a Saturday Night. Ratings matter to only 2 people, TK and whoever is in charge at TNT. They appear to be doing fine for the Network 9EAE0363-F82B-47BA-8697-1D1FD9B0EF43.thumb.jpeg.6513f2b2c277823c5ab42cecf59bae01.jpeg

Just now, Daddymagic said:

432.000 viewers this week - half of the audience of week one and less than Rampage drew. 

I absolutely have zero clue how these TV ratings are calculated, so apologies if this question seems daft. Basically, isn't this an outmoded way of telling who's watching what? Does it account for streaming? I know in Canada, for example, Collision isn't available on television. Only on the streaming service. I assume these numbers given are US-only?

I've personally never watched something live on my television via the traditional set-up in god-knows how many years. 

Just now, Louch said:

It’s not the total, it’s the demo that’s poor. @David it’s US only and includes streamers watching in first 24hrs I believe 

Ah, okay. As @Hannibal Scorch says, those ratings only really matter to the network and Tony Khan. If they're both happy with what they're getting, then fair play.

From a fans point of view, and someone who doesn't really know the ins & outs of television rating systems, I figured the ratings would bounce around between being lower than Dynamite, which is the flagship show, but slightly above Rampage. It's the same fanbase after all, isn't it? 

I've seen a few people on socials using this rating to bash Punk, and on the other side of the coin I've seen people use the first weeks rating to "big up" the guy. But can a wrestling show really draw based on one name anymore? I don't know if there's an active full-time wrestler who you could stick on a two hour show on a Saturday night on TNT and expect to draw tons of eyes based on their name alone?

Edited by David

4 minutes ago, David said:

I absolutely have zero clue how these TV ratings are calculated, so apologies if this question seems daft. Basically, isn't this an outmoded way of telling who's watching what? Does it account for streaming? I know in Canada, for example, Collision isn't available on television. Only on the streaming service. I assume these numbers given are US-only?

I've personally never watched something live on my television via the traditional set-up in god-knows how many years. 

The live/same day (cut off is 3am EST) ratings are done in the old school fashion of around 40,000+ households are tracked by Nielsen and they use their magical formula to extrapolate out into what the US is watching.

The Live+3 and Live+7 start to include some streaming/DVR data with the providers that give them that information, but not everyone gives that information.

Most of the major media companies are trying to come up with their own system and Nielsen is trying to stay as the indepedent source of ratings.

Just now, Infinity Land said:

The live/same day (cut off is 3am EST) ratings are done in the old school fashion of around 40,000+ households are tracked by Nielsen and they use their magical formula to extrapolate out into what the US is watching.

The Live+3 and Live+7 start to include some streaming/DVR data with the providers that give them that information, but not everyone gives that information.

Most of the major media companies are trying to come up with their own system and Nielsen is trying to stay as the indepedent source of ratings.

Ah, okay. Well, that all seems terribly outdated to me. It's 2023, people are consuming content in all manner of ways these days. I wouldn't be putting too much stock into these ratings, especially not on a week by week basis when a show is less than a month old.

I'd imagine the network will be looking more at the advertising slots it's managing to sell during the show, and how much they're drawing financially as a better baromoter of success? Maybe not. I dunno.

27 minutes ago, David said:

Ah, okay. Well, that all seems terribly outdated to me. It's 2023, people are consuming content in all manner of ways these days. I wouldn't be putting too much stock into these ratings, especially not on a week by week basis when a show is less than a month old.

I'd imagine the network will be looking more at the advertising slots it's managing to sell during the show, and how much they're drawing financially as a better baromoter of success? Maybe not. I dunno.

It's very outdated! Even in the past when cordcutting wasn't a thing and there were fewer channels. The accepted standard on the margin of error was +/- 10%

I think it's safe to say that Collision coming into existence, and even continuing with Rampage/BOTB, that the network is happy enough with what they get from AEW. That doesn't mean the network won't be putting the pressure on to see things improve. TNT in primetime Saturdays only has 10-12 Sporting events in a year. The rest of the year are typically films which fall under a 0.10 in the 18-49 demo. Which has diminishing returns since if you're going to watch a movie, why not on a streamer?

Edited by Infinity Land

• Paid Members

In respect to what you're saying David, the ratings are what they use to price advertising for those slots. More eyeballs watching on TNT is more they can charge to put your ad inside it. It's obviously more complex than that - advertisers looking for specific demos, or types of content they want/don't want to be put next to, cost of content vs rating (not worth spending twice as much for content in that slot if you only get a boost of 30% to your ad sales etc).

Then in defence of what David is saying - they are a terrible metric for judging anything's popularity, or even as an outsider trying to judge what the ratings mean to the studio given so much else that falls into that we have no way of knowing about. Generally, if they're still giving them money and keeping the same amount of content or asking for more it seems like things are going good. Staring at the ratings and trying to figure out what that means to Warner Bros without any additional insider information is about as useful as getting your divining rod out.

Biggest problem with collision so far is I don’t get the impression from anyone on it that they are desperate for it to do well. Feels the home of the wwe castoffs that are happy to get paid and go home. Doesn’t have an alternative feel to it that Dynamite that everyone didn’t look like a create a wrestler template. It was easy to watch and pass the bad things for as they felt like they where trying. Give us stories and chaos and must see TV. Not pedestrian dad rock 

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

To be fair, "wrestling shows have never worked on Saturdays" is an idiotic statement.

Especially idiotic when we have no idea how TNT will be measuring it as a success or not. The ratings might not look good to us but to TNT they might actually be exactly what they were expecting and hoping for.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Especially idiotic when we have no idea how TNT will be measuring it as a success or not. The ratings might not look good to us but to TNT they might actually be exactly what they were expecting and hoping for.

Like I showed earlier, currently the highest rated show on TNT. Now, during sports season, it will obviously be over taken, but if that is still in the top 5, its probably all they are looking for. And as we know wrestling programming costs a hell of a lot less than other sports or scripted shows. Ratings for wrestling shows are mainly used by rival fans to use to explain why their preferred promotion is better. Or in this instance, that Tony Khan has bought a load of tickets which is why Wembley has sold 75k tickets.