Signings, exits, returns etc

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I'm stunned that Lewis didn't at the very least be seen about town with a new bit of eye candy, to try and raise the jealousy of the ex. Even if PFL offered him three fights, one for 2M and the other for some drastically reduced amount, like 100k each or something, he would still be better off than this deal. If he has to fight 8 times on this deal (not likely, but who knows) that's 8 fight camps, all the costs involved and the wear and tear of the camps and the fights themselves. Like you guys are saying, fight Francis and then maybe once or twice more for the sponsorship money etc and then go and out the feet up.

Madness that he didn't go that route, as it'd be even more shocking if they weren't interested. At the end of the day, he's as big a name and as marketable an opponent for Ngannou as they are going to be able to get. PFL probably would have offered to ice Lewis balls for him to make that happen, what with Lewis and Ngannou never having fought before, not even once . . . 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a gander at his record to see what I remember from it, and the answer is 'not much at all'. I actually feel like someones tampered with his Wiki page. In 2017 he fought Anderson Silva, which I have absolutley no memory of, and he also fought Lyoto this year which I dont remember. Hes KO'd Uriah Hall in a minute...dont remember. Just alot of his matches I must have blocked out! The one thing that does stick out to me is that Whitaker loss, where Im sure he went crazy and just did the James Thompson style of attacking with no defence, and Whitaker just smashed him.

• Paid Members

There has been some forgettable stuff but he had his moments. My main memories of him are that Whittaker loss and the little streak he went on where he kept derailing hype trains. I remember he handed Edmen Shahbazyan his first loss, ended the winning streak of Kevin Holland and basically drove the final nail in the coffin for any hopes of Darren Till getting back in the mix. 

IMG_9864.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
On 9/15/2023 at 1:57 PM, Dai said:

Had a gander at his record to see what I remember from it, and the answer is 'not much at all'.

Yeah, for a while Brunson was very much hanging around the middle of cards to little fan fair. It took a while for fans (me included) to really latch on and really start to take interest (Blonde Brunson and all that). It's quite surprising when you did into it because Brunson was very much a kill or be killed type, most Brunson fights ended early.

I don't blame him for the move here though. He's nearly 40, his time as a UFC top guy is clearly over and getting killed by a Roman Dolidze at this point probably doesn't have much appeal. Brunson moving into the influencer type game and chasing some cheques sounds about right to me, he'll talk some shit and drum up some interest in what he's doing too. I saw Jake Paul's name mentioned too, so maybe there's a PFL move in the works, Brunson would slot nicely into that PPV series they are setting up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

John Makdessi, who posted his payslip a few weeks back and showed he only made 28k from his last fight, has unsuprisingly been let go. Bet Dana was not too pleased with him doing that. Plenty of others have been let go too.

Jennifer Maia, despite co maining a show just days ago, has not had her contract renewed and is out too.

In news which must put the shits into alot of these lower level, experienced fighters, the news article says that 45 (!) Contender Series fighters were signed on $10k deals from this last season. Both Maia and Makdessi were on 60k show money, which now seems like the UFC is thinking is far too much for the return they get, so it seems like they will cull a load of these fighters and replace them with no names who are on 10k to show. As much as it sucks for the fighters, from a business point of view I see the logic. No one was watching the last UFC show just because Maia was on there, so may as well just fill the card with much cheaper talent.

• Paid Members

As much as I’m not relishing the thought of a roster choc-full of DWCS newbies, in this case I’m fine with Jennifer Maia being shown the door. Nothing against the woman but, like I said previewing her last fight last week, she was on the roster years and you can count the times she looked good in a fight on one hand, well, one finger. She was rotten. Her fight last week really stood out as the one shitty fight on an otherwise stellar 5 fight main card. And that was my opinion going in and post-fight. Why she was billed so high, I don’t know.

Makdessi I’m slightly sadder about but the writing’s been on the wall for a bit. He’s had some fun fights but he’s 38 now, coming off a couple of losses and he’s been on the roster 12/13 years or something. Made his UFC debut the night GSP jabbed Koshcheck’s oribtal in, that’s how long he’s been knocking around.

I hear Ovince Saint Preux just put his phone on silent. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Looking more and more likely that MVP is Octagon bound. Not a big fan but at 36 years old it’s now or never really, isn’t it? No doubt he’ll provide a couple of spectacular knockouts, in between putting on some of the most excruciatingly dull decisions you’ve ever seen.

IMG-3404.jpg

Look at those faces! Fully expecting his signing to be announced over the weekend. 

13 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Looking more and more likely that MVP is Octagon bound. Not a big fan but at 36 years old it’s now or never really, isn’t it? No doubt he’ll provide a couple of spectacular knockouts, in between putting on some of the most excruciatingly dull decisions you’ve ever seen.

IMG-3404.jpg

Look at those faces! Fully expecting his signing to be announced over the weekend. 

Ahhhh man I don't hate that and him signing and at his age like you mentioned he gets to have a run in the UFC. He's exciting when he turns up and goes in wanting to show his worth but he has had fights that have been dull and underwhelming but I don't expect him to have that mindset often in the UFC the biggest dance you can fight for.

Couple of years contract could be a good one IMO I suppose we will ultimately see 

• Paid Members

I like the optimism but I think MVP is what he is at this stage. He’s too long in the tooth and too set in his ways. He’ll have his moments but I don’t see him being any different than he was in Bellator. He’ll look amazing styling on lower ranked guys but frustrating as fuck to watch as he faces the better opposition. His best win is easily the Lima rematch and that was exactly the type of frustrating fight I’m talking about where neither did that much and Page came away with a split decision in a fight that neither man probably deserved to win.

Not saying he’s shite or anything and I obviously get the appeal he’d have to the UFC and why they’d wanna sign him. But it’s likely gonna be same old with him. He’ll wreck some lower/mid level guy in highlight reel/viral fashion and everyone will lose it and act like he’s gonna walk through the division. Then he’ll face someone near the top end and either have a 15 minute staring match or he’ll get ragged about. He’s been really inactive as well the last few years, fighting just once a year the last 3 years. Time is of the essence, and at 36 they can’t even really afford to baby him like they have with Pimblett. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out, if he actually signs/has signed, no denying it.

Seen people on about him against Wonderboy and it would be kind of the natural fight to make given their styles and Wonderboy being older as well. But as intriguing as that matchup would be, I reckon it’d be absolutely rotten in practice. Maybe him and Ian Garry could be good? A fight with Kevin Holland would probably have everyone creaming their pants and then they’d go out there and just taunt and talk the whole time. Jack Maddalena could be fun. Geoff Neal as well maybe. But they’d best keep him away from the likes of Shavkat, Belal and Covington. Although I’d love to see him somehow catch Colby with that skull crushing knee he hit Cyborg with years back.

In the end, fuck knows. And all this I’m saying is similar stuff to what I said when Michael Chandler signed. That it felt too late, he hadn’t looked great in a while etc. And Chandler’s had literally nothing but bangers in the 2 and a bit years he’s been under the UFC banner. Maybe MVP will realise the sand timer is running low and he doesn’t have bags of time anymore. If he’s gonna end his career on a memorable note, he’s gonna have to come in and make shit happen. 

Edited by wandshogun09