Signings, exits, returns etc

wandshogun09

• Paid Members

He might have wanted out of his contract, but the UFC don't let anyone leave unless it suits their needs. He may have still had some fights on his deal that they have saved having to pay him for by letting him do this, but I get the feeling he was facing the chop sooner or later. For a while now he's been well, well off looking like someone that's going to be anywhere near a ranked fighter at 170 or 185. 

I'll not miss him. Hopefully he can recruit Molly McCann and Paddy Pimblett to join him on creating some 'Banged up on Merseyside' type show for Blaze or some other random Freeview channel and the lot of them can disappear from anywhere I'm likely to see them. Or they could call up Klopp and see if he needs a few extra subs for the 2nd leg against Madrid. They would probably get a game. I could ignore their existence there too. 

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Yeah saw that. Weird how that whole thing with the UFC played out. I remember his debut was as good as confirmed for the Paris card to the point Marcel Dorff was tweeting it out. Think I read earlier that Doumbe’s saying the UFC offered him $20K to show/$20K to win and that’s why he’s gone with PFL for substantially more. Think it was over $100K a fight and of course there’s always those million dollar tournaments. Fair play to him. I would’ve liked to have seen him in the UFC but he’d have been an idiot to take 20/20. 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Johnny Walker’s got a brother. The UFC just signed him and he’s fighting fatty Jake Collier in September. He’s a Heavyweight. He’s undefeated. And I was happy to learn that the weirdness runs in the Walker family…

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Yeah he converted to Islam, I think.

As much as I’ve been critical of him in the past, it was never so much about him, I was just always puzzled by the unwarranted belief in him as a top guy. Doesn’t seem a bad guy in general. Although he was one of the first to jump to Dana’s defence following the wife slapping scandal. Regardless, yeah, hopefully he stays retired. I think it’s clear his heart isn’t in it like it used to be and it feels like he’s been on a downward spiral as a fighter for years on end now. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Yeah, yet again the UFC let another one slip away.

In other news, Derrick Lewis has re-signed with the UFC for another 8 fights. That’ll probably see him through to retirement. As nice as it was to see him get a quick win last time, I don’t see many good nights ahead for him really. When I heard he was a free agent I was half expecting him to end up in PFL. They need opponents for Francis and Lewis has that win over him (albeit in a rotten fight). Francis negotiated that his opponents are guaranteed $2 million to fight him as well so it would’ve been a massive payday for the Beast at a time when his career is winding down. I’m sure he’s making good money in the UFC given his tenure and popularity but I can’t help thinking he’s gonna look back on it as a mistake in the long run staying where he is. 

Looking at Lewis' previous documented payouts, he got $400k base pay for the Spivak fight and $500k for the Pavlovich fight at UFC 277. I don't see the UFC offering a 38-year-old fighter on a 2-3 in his last five record a significant pay increase on $400k for Fight Night and $500k for PPV showings. I reckon his new deal is pretty much the same as his current one, with maybe a nice little signing bonus or something.

The question is, while he's got that eight-fight deal, is he going to fight eight times? He's fought eight times in three years, so potentially I guess? 

To make the base amount he'd have gotten for fighting Ngannou, he'll need to fight another four times on PPV in the UFC, or on another five Fight Nights. That's not even taking into account the scope for external sponsorship and so on outside the UFC. We know he gets like $20k per fight inside the UFC for their sponsorship agreement, which is peanuts really.

If I was him I'd have went all-out for an NGannou fight, made that $2 mill plus, and called it a day. 

• Paid Members

Yeah I can’t see him fighting 8 more times myself. He might. You never know with Lewis. But I can’t see it. People forget but he was making noises about retiring as far back as the loss to Mark Hunt and that was 2017. I’m sure right now he fully intends to do those 8 fights. He’s coming off a quick knockout win and probably feeling good about himself. But he was on a shite run before that and I can see it going that way again now. After a few more losses he might feel differently and wish he pursued that PFL money. But then he’s locked into this long UFC contract. I hope it works out for him. I don’t think there’s anyone in the current UFC Heavyweight division who I wanna see get out on a positive note more than Derrick Lewis. But I can’t see it ending well.

Makes me laugh though how all the twats on social media who were saying Francis “fumbled the bag” by leaving the UFC are defending Lewis staying. Ngannou got a great deal with PFL, stuck to his principles and even negotiated for his opponents to get more, plus he’s now getting this Tyson Fury payday. Meanwhile Lewis is probably gonna end up getting strangled by Jailton Almeida or losing plodding split decisions to fatties at the Apex. For less money. Dana/UFC arse lickers and their bullshit.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

I like this deal that Ngannou has worked out. Lewis aside, he could potentially bleed the UFC's HW division dry. Could get a whole load of heavies leaving the UFC for even the chance of a $2M payday.