• Paid Members
1 hour ago, RedRooster said:

the other hand, I’m not sure it’s fair to judge Jade’s motivations, or what she ‘demands’.

I wasn't judging her personal motivations. What I meant was that to be a major crossover star in wrestling that demands a certain platform and infrastructure in place already that can get behind you and get you to that level. I didn't literally mean Jade Cargill's personal demands or motivations - I have no idea what those are. 

Edited by LaGoosh

9 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I wasn't judging her personal motivations. What I meant was that to be a major crossover star in wrestling that demands a certain platform and infrastructure in place already that can get behind you and get you to that level. I didn't literally mean Jade Cargill's personal demands or motivations - I have no idea what those are. 

I see, I misunderstood. That said, genuine crossover stars are extremely rare - over the last twenty years you've had Rock, Cena and Batista and that's probably it. WWE has certainly facilitated opportunities - take Big Show's Netflix comedy, for example - but it's apparently blocked them too. Although AEW doesn't have an example of a star crossing over, Cody Rhodes was certainly given opportunities to do so during his time with the company. AEW also seems to give its wrestlers flexibility to engage in external projects - with Miro and apparently MJF among those pursuing acting roles. 

Jade Cargill can certainly become a much bigger star in WWE - a genuine main evener - but the fact that hasn't happened and likely would not happen in AEW, to me, is more damning of Tony Khan's booking than anything else. He has the money to keep her, but where are the opportunities for a female wrestler to become prominent in that company? They're virtually non-existent. 

To be clear, I'm not at all suggesting that you're trying to say the opposite to this - and while there's every chance Jade would have left even if AEW had a red hot women's division, the continued misuse of the female talent they have really frustrates me. 

18 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

He has the money to keep her, but where are the opportunities for a female wrestler to become prominent in that company? They're virtually non-existent.

But at what cost? As soon as the salary structure is broken, everyone starts chasing a pay rise. When Punk came in there were rumours amongst the men's roster about the talent getting paid to his level. If you believe it, this played a part in Cody leaving, and why MJF disappeared last summer looking for a pay bump.

I don't think there's anyone in the women's division that comes close to WWE main event money. Britt was coming off the indies, Shida was a freelancer, Toni was not long after NXT and still new to to the main roster, Saraya wasn't going to wrestle in WWE again. They might be paid well but not what WWE can and are willing to offer at the high end.

AEW's women's division is so clearly not a priority for the company, I don't think that's even in dispute.  Both WWE and Impact are much more proud of their divisions, put time and effort into developing them and their stars.  AEW tends to throw a women's match onto the card as a piss-break slot and not much more.

In some respects, Jade's long title run is indicative of how shallow their talent pool is - she was SO green but still represented the best option for a long period of time, and yet they almost couldn't move her into the main championship scene as it would devalue the new TNT title.

If you were, say, Jamie Hayter and you had your contract renewal coming up, you'd seriously think about WWE as well, wouldn't you?

• Paid Members

I don't think Tony Khan's booking is what would have prevented Jade from getting other opportunities - she's very evidently a star with an incredible look, regardless of her booking.

It's that AEW doesn't have the connections and the path to other opportunities that WWE does - even if it's as simple as doing hokey adverts for Cricket Wireless, there's stepping stones from WWE to broader media. It seemed early on that AEW might be a little more open to this kind of thing - Best Friends appearing on The Floor Is Lava, and a couple of AEW wrestlers appearing on Family Feud come to mind, along with some of the big magazine features about them in their early years - but that sort of thing seems to have dried up, whereas WWE is likely a far better launchpad. I don't think any of this changes if Jade Cargill was main eventing for AEW, or wrestling Britt Baker and Saraya instead of Skye Blue and Kiera Hogan. 

I do agree that there isn't a clear path for a woman to be a main event talent in AEW; women have main evented TV shows in the past, but it's never a consistent spot, and I don't see a women's match ever main eventing an AEW PPV (though I felt Jamie Hayter main eventing Wembley would have worked had she been able to). WWE are a step up on that. But I think the potential to be a female main event star in WWE is massively overstated too - women's matches do occasionally main event on TV, and that's great, but I find it hard to make the argument that WWE particularly care about women's wrestling, and I see that getting worse before it gets better.

Just this week, RAW had two women's matches that collectively ran for less than six minutes, and NXT had only one women's match that barely scraped two. It's great that we're getting matches like Iyo Sky and Asuka that are allowed to run for a decent length, but I think overall the WWE women's division is granted a lot of residual goodwill for having been booked strongly in the recent past, when the reality is that it's not much less of an afterthought than AEW's division. For all the talk of how good it will be for Jade Cargill's crossover success, I would have said the same opportunities should have been there for Bianca Belair, who since a fantastic Wrestlemania main event they seem to have contrived to make less of a star (though apparently she has a reality TV show coming, which is the sort of opportunity I'm talking about), and for Naomi before her. 

1 hour ago, Loki said:

If you were, say, Jamie Hayter and you had your contract renewal coming up, you'd seriously think about WWE as well, wouldn't you?

I'd be surprised if Hayter and Willow Nightingale didn't end end up in WWE. But heck, with Willow, Hayter, Athena, Thunder Rosa, Nyla Rose, Shida, Emi Sakura, Shida and others - injuries aside, AEW could have an absolutely brilliant women's division if they wanted to. As it stands, I fully expect them to act as a supplier of the next batch of top female stars for Raw and Smackdown. 

• Paid Members

Lot of speculation on the old internet about Mariah May from Stardom moving to AEW at the moment but not confident they’d do much with her. Maybe for a week or two then it’d be into the shuffle/obscurity. Could use it similarly to Jade though as a stepping stone to WWE. She definitely seems like a WWE type (and previously tried out for them a few years ago) but maybe a bit too similar to Tiffany Stratton at the moment. If anything she  looks the part for the Stratton character more than Tiffany Stratton does. But yeah, steadily improving in ring, good talker with a british accent London enough to sound quite posh to American ears and a great look. Intrigued to see where she lands. 

Edited by JLM

I’ve never rooted for the “it’s all a work” crew as much as I am right now. Let them be right this time.

Kick off that boot Adam… please 😔

But, still, the next cab off the rank seems to be Jay White and he might be my favourite wrestler in the world at the minute so nevermind, hey?

Soz Adam.

I thought MJF and Jay White did well to bring the crowd back round a bit, too, as Adam’s announcement seemed to really flatten the place. They were absolutely fighting for their lives out there and did about as good as they could have done.

But, yeah, I hope there’s some world where they’re playing this up and it isn’t that bad or whatever. Be gutted if Adam Cole needs 6 months off. If every word he said is true, though, what a tough cunt; no wonder he looked a bit grey and peaky as Dynamite went off the air last week.

The mask man stuff was fun, but I sincerely hope it’s not some NJPW rubbish. If it does end up being David Finlay triggering a BULLET CLUB ORIGINALS vs BULLET CLUB GOLD feud or some shite, it’ll be the first time in history that the mask is more recognisable than the face behind it when they do the reveal.

My actual guess is probably ROOOOSH though, as Andrade already fighting BCG over on Collision. Could be some knock-off LWO vs BCG feud about to begin.

Moxley’s injury has knackered the International Title. I love seeing Jeff in a singles match, but that opener was pure lower card chaos. Rey didn’t seem to keep up at all, either.

The Nick Jackson/Cage/Cesaro triple threat for a shot at a singles title is one of those matches that looks like it’s been generated by a computer game career mode.

Swerve Strickland is a star.

Christian Cage is the best. Did Jim Ross have an out of body experience during that segment? He seemed completely disinterested, even by his standards.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

9 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Get that fucking belt on Jay White. What a star.

Couldn’t agree more.

Swerve wasn’t wrong about Hangman the other week though, was he… Page is definitely looking a bit fuller in the face…

God, I want this to be the case so much 😂

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Get that fucking belt on Jay White. What a star.

I'm just not seeing it, so far.  At the moment, he's the least interesting member of Bullet Club Gold for me.  Every few months AEW brings in some "big in Japan" star, and sometimes they turn out to be entertaining (Ospreay) and sometimes they don't really click for me.

I loved that opening match personally, Jarrett's matches are always chaos and entertainment.

Add my voice to those hoping Cole's injury is a work, as it'd be perfect.