• Paid Members

I'm more than happy and willing to nit-pick shows, but to say the overall quality of those shows has been a net negative due to those nitpicks is absurd. For every shite, lackluster or backward element of Dynamite, there's two or three great matches, angles or interviews to make up for it. This week's Dynamite was a show where the bad outweighed the good by a large margin, hence why it's getting railed by critique after critique, and we've not had one of those in a long while. Next week's show will be really important in setting course for AEW's immediate future; is it time for one of their usual slumps, or is it just a bump in the road?

I guess the frustrating part is what you've already said about "usual slumps". We've been here before. They manage to get things back to being great for a while and then they revert to making the same mistakes. And while I'm not going to say everything's falling apart or anything, it definitely gets more frustrating the more it happens. I don't expect them to put on top quality shows every week. No one can sustain that no matter what company you are. But falling into familiar bad habits is something I wish they could address. I don't know what Tony does differently from time to time but when he's on it he's really on it and then suddenly it's like someone different is in charge.

• Paid Members

I think the main issue AEW has is that they don’t have the foundation to be doing too bad for too long. WWE could coast for years being shit because the fans were ingrained, they had money to burn and the ratings were huge enough that they could afford to drop a load and it not look too bad. Raw and Smackdown still pull in around 2 million a week, over twice what AEW does at their peak.

AEW’s viewership is diving along with the quality of the product and that’s not something they can do for too long. 1 million to 950m to 850m and still dropping. One of their biggest stars is headlining this year’s Wrestlemania and the others are arsing about with secondary titles as the dirtsheets predict them also leaving.

What’s also worrying is just how similar to end of days WCW it is already in it’s infant years. Bloated roster filled with ex-WWE stars, wrestlers with what you would assume is some level of creative control that is effecting tv, cheap tactics like big announcements and belts up and down the show to pad out all the issues.

I’m not saying it’s doom for AEW and their days are numbered but there is certainly some really worrying stuff they need to get in order before it piles up.

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members

I do wonder if TK's announcement is something relatively major, and that's why the rest of the card is fairly lacklustre, so it's not overshadowed?

I appreciate it'll probably not be, and it'll be that he's bought XPW or something, or AEW are getting a streaming service or something, but hopefully it's a big signing like Ibushi or Jay White, or a returning CM Punk or something similarly major because AEW could really use a shot in the arm at the moment just to get a bit more of a buzz going. 

1 minute ago, mim731 said:

I do wonder if TK's announcement is something relatively major, and that's why the rest of the card is fairly lacklustre, so it's not overshadowed?

The fact it’s being billed as an ‘important announcement’ as opposed to a ‘huge announcement’ is curious. It’s a subtle difference, but I wonder if there’s something to read into that - as in, by not billing it as ‘huge’ they’re intending to play down expectations somewhat; and it’ll be the announcement of a release date for the video game or something. 

It’s another weak looking card. Are The Gunns still part of The Firm? Who The Acclaimed are facing has reminded me that they were once a part of that tedious stable. 

21 minutes ago, mim731 said:

I appreciate it'll probably not be, and it'll be that he's bought XPW or something, or AEW are getting a streaming service or something, but hopefully it's a big signing like Ibushi or Jay White, or a returning CM Punk or something similarly major because AEW could really use a shot in the arm at the moment just to get a bit more of a buzz going. 

Problem is they shouldn't need it. It's a lazy tactic to make things look interesting. They've got a stacked roster. Their focus should be on delivering with what they've got really.

I would have really liked Jay White to come in, but I see him in the WWE unfortunately.

He's not the monster heel that needs to be protected, and outshone Adam Cole in the one Rampage appearance he made. When Cole had been trying to do something similar. Considering how he's left NJPW i'm not expecting him in AEW and I doubt that it would be as part of an announcement if he was turning up. You'd save that for the PPV or maybe to set up a match with Cole on short notice considering Forbidden Door.

I still think it's the video game release date as it's been in the news again recently.

14 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

They've already announced the main line up for next week's show. The internet audience is relatively small in the grand scheme of things, but I do wonder if knowing what to expect can lead to general apathy. When I look at those singles matches I think Rampage,

That card is death on paper. 
Wheeler Yuta, the never ending Orange Cassidy reign, Evil Uno in a top singles match, Saraya in action, Big Bill, the Acclaimed wrestling again (they are majorly getting over exposed) and of course Sniffs big announcement. 

blimey.