Italia 90 changed the world

Butch2000

Italia 90 changed the world apparently so a tournament fulll of terrible football, hooligans, awful football, Gazza crying, and fucking abhorrent football.

I’ll never understand the love of Italia 90 and all the same shite documentaries with John Barnes being asked to replicate his rap.

italia 90 needs shooting. All the docs are about how it changed the world? Bollocks it changed nothing, English football was changed when Alan Sugar told Murdoch to blow ITV out of the water.

Changed the world? I don’t believe West Germany saw it as a seismic shift (who were on the precipice of one), but the team who made the semis by the skin of their teeth and David platt changed football for the world.

Edited by Butch2000

• Paid Members

Italia '90 represents my earliest memories of watching football on the telly and it feeling like it meant something. I'm an unapologetic nostalgia nonce so I do have love for that tournament, but admittedly that's more for the iconic imagery than for the football. 94 and 98 are my favourite ever World Cups. I'm sure if you ask most football fans they will tell you the best World Cups were whichever ones that happened when they were between 12 and 22 years old. 

• Paid Members

The only good thing about Italia 90 is Stuart Pearce's penalty miss. Because without his miss there, you don't get the sheer, blood-curdling, screaming, emotional joy of the conversion in the shootout against Spain at Euro '96. 

An absolute thunderbastard plum into the bottom corner. Lovely. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Merzbow said:

The game was dogshit, too. Even if I did spend hours on it playing as Russia because they had such good stats for some odd reason.

I came in to say the same thing! I was born in 1990 so my only real memory of Italia 90 is this. Thank god Super Hang On and Columns was on it too.

As much as I can't be arsed with any of the players going to this year's I do think it'd be fascinating if England win this year. 

How does the media talk about it? How does it get remembered? Does Britain get endless documentaries pretending that it was a great historic moment for social progress or does everyone just pretend it didn't happen (like everyone wants to).

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Vamp said:

As much as I can't be arsed with any of the players going to this year's I do think it'd be fascinating if England win this year. 

How does the media talk about it? How does it get remembered? Does Britain get endless documentaries pretending that it was a great historic moment for social progress or does everyone just pretend it didn't happen (like everyone wants to).

I think it would largely be dictated by instances of the player’s actions in response to the controversies. The football itself could be memorable, i.e a penalty shootout win in the final, a late goal, etc. But it would leave a longer, lasting impression if one or more of the squad protested in some manner. How you’d do that exactly I’m not sure…

Gareth Southgate openly calling out the Qatari regime in an explosive press conference? Declan Rice and Raheem Sterling to share a gay kiss in support of LGBT rights? Harry Kane opting not to lift the trophy but to slap the turban off of the Qatari dignitary presenting him with it? Callum Wilson taking a shit on the centre circle and unfurling loo paper with the words “Support migrant workers” emblazoned on some Cushelle? 

More likely, it‘ll come in the form of polished, glossy Amazon-style documentaries, highlighting that because they wore a nice rainbow armband that they’ve inspired change and hope. Probably in the same way that WWE inspired change with their trips to Saudi Arabia and they absolutely have changed for the better as a nation and are now totally squeaky clean and not an evil state in any way. 

This is probably a metaphor for TV in general, but part of the reason the likes of Italia 90 and Euro 96 get revisited so often is that they came at a time where there were fewer channels and fewer avenues to watch content at the time - so they were much more prominent in people’s minds. Competitions since will almost certainly have had huge viewerships, social media engagement etc - but they come in an era where content from all genres is basically infinite from multiple different sources, via regular TV, or steaming, or YouTube, etc. While it’s on, it’s relatively dominant in the public consciousness - but the minute it’s concluded it’s effectively left the social landscape. 

Mind you, in 20 years time there will be people saying the same thing about the next/previous generation, so what do I know? And they won’t win it because they’re shit. 

Hey, if we get a documentary in 20 years time when the England players look the relatives of dead migrant workers in the eye and say that the only thing they had the courage to do was wear a rainbow armband I'm all for it. Put that on my telly. Zoom into their faces.