So...Jake Paul.

David

So, it appears this chap isn't going to be buggering off any time soon. He's here to stay, and dare I say he's looking not too shabby considering where he's at in his development as a boxer.

6-0, with four knock-outs and two decisions. And yeah, his opponents haven't been all that great, but show me a boxer taking on top ranked contenders when they've had five fights.

Case in point, the WBO cruiserweight champion, which is the division Paul is boxing in at the moment, is Lawrence Okolie. He's currently 18-0, but his first six opponents had a combined record of 35-40, and 22 of those wins were held by the 22-29 Lukasz Rusiewicz, so 13-11 if you discount his record.

IBF champion Jai Opetaia's first six opponents held a combined record of 10-7.

Paul's opponents at the moment are 3-2-0, with his first 4 opponents making their boxing debuts.

Basically, he's boxing to his level while at the same time picking out "names" that will draw attention. But, at some point, that has to end. He has to start facing actual boxers if he wants to be considered relevant in the sport, and now he's six fights in that time is quickly approaching. 

Calls for Canelo are insane and nothing short of publicity stunts, but at the same time he's garnered such a name that if he does get matched with a fellow boxing pro who has a record of 6-0 or something similar Paul is likely to get shat on.

So, where does he go from here? Start facing boxers at his level in order to try and break into some sort of national or regional title scene? And accept the backlash of uneducated fans who'll accuse him of not fighting a "name" in boxing? 

Or does he keep facing former MMA guys with name value, such as a Nate Diaz or a Urijah Hall? Sure, he'll not get anywhere as far as boxing rankings go, but he'll make money. 

He's in a unique spot really.

He and his brother are both celebrity fighters as I understand it.  Why they would ever want to get into the ring with a ranked professional boxer is beyond me.  They already make loads of money doing what they do at the moment!

• Paid Members

Yeah, I think it's already been proven that Paul needs the right dance partner to make the kind of financial rewards he's after. The Nate Diaz fight is the one to make, I think that'd be very winnable for Paul as well. 

According to the Morning Kombat podcast who were there on the weekend, the audience was primarily an MMA audience, they were all there to see if Anderson could topple Jake Paul. Pure boxing fans have no interest in what's going on, but the MMA fans are in on it because they want to see Jake Paul lose to one of their guys. 

15 hours ago, TibBo said:

Seems like he is making more money fighting well known unskilled opponents than he would fighting lesser-known ranked fighters?  Not sure why he would deviate from that really?

It depends where he wants to go, doesn't it? If he's happy making a payday fighting "name" but unskilled opponents then he's already on a good path, and who can really blame him? Money is the name of the game.

But, if he harbours any ambition to actually win a world title, or even fight for one, he's going to have to fight some proper boxers. It'll be interesting to see where he goes.

• Paid Members

i don't really think he does, he says it for clicks but I think he'll just stay in his line. The Tommy Fury fight may happen because he crosses over, but the Diaz and KSI fights are the ones he'll be looking to make.

• Paid Members

I'd understand the Tommy Fury fight in terms of the Fury name and all that, but is there anything more to him in terms of celebrity? Because that's what drives it, surely? Paul is going out and trash-talking, Youtubing, interviews, TikTok etc., but what's Fury doing? I don't tend to keep tabs on that side of things, so if anyone knows I'd like to hear.

11 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I'd understand the Tommy Fury fight in terms of the Fury name and all that, but is there anything more to him in terms of celebrity? Because that's what drives it, surely? Paul is going out and trash-talking, Youtubing, interviews, TikTok etc., but what's Fury doing? I don't tend to keep tabs on that side of things, so if anyone knows I'd like to hear.

He has been doing interviews trashing Jake Paul and KSI lately which made the papers here, the red tops/the Mail etc. He doesn't have the level of fame worldwide that Jake Paul has but he and his missus are always in the tabloids over here thanks to Love Island.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, timmothysmith01 said:

Paul vs. Silva

On September 6, 2022, a fight between Paul and former UFC champion Anderson Silva was announced for October 29, it being contested at 187 pounds over eight three-minute rounds

On the night of the fight, Paul defeated Silva by unanimous decision with the scores of 78–73 (twice) and 77–74.

Whats with all the useless posts?

4 hours ago, JNLister said:

What's the chances they end up doing Jake vs Logan?

One of their previous grifts was "diss track Youtube videos" slagging each other off. I think KSI and Desi also did this shit.

It would be real end game type shit to box though. When they know their 15 minutes of fame is in its final seconds. So hopefully next year.