Jesus Fucking Christ

Frankie Crisp

3 hours ago, FLips said:

The best thing I ever did was get off social media. I was never particularly bad for it, but sometimes I’ll write posts on here and delete them because it’s not important enough to say, so I can’t imagine having Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, etc and posting on them too. 
There are easier ways to keep in touch with people that doesn’t involve any of the above, and there are ways to get news or information without using the above and having to have your opinions shared with other worthless opinions among a sea of vile shit.

The positives of having them are things we did easily without them, and the negatives of them are massively overwhelming and without any hyperbole are one of the main reasons for the horrible way the world is today.

I agree with all of this. 

Some people can hack it - though I suspect it's still mud slinging at a lot of people's mental health who insist they have a hold on it - and as tools they can definitely be indispensable if you have something to promote, but my life improved with immediacy when I got off them. 

My hesitancy last year was that I'd just gone through a breakup, moved back home and I put a huge personal focus on getting out there and putting down fresh roots. Even as I was deleting them I questioned if I wasn't just prohibiting myself from having doorways there should I ever need them. But curiously my social life got on just fine. 

In fact, it improved. Without the beige parasocial thumbing through social life from bed, I was pretty much forced to leave the gaf and go to the local nutter magnets to find stuff to do. I found poetry and spoken word groups through physical notice boards like I was Geralt in the Witcher hitching up in a village or something. I used Meetups to find a D&D group and get stuck in. Noisy punk shows are always good for just going up to people and saying hello. It's been brilliant and it's a miracle I've not wound up in a cult yet. 

One size doesn't fit all, but personally like a lot of other people I just found the whole "Well at least it's casting the social net wide" thing to be a complete illusion. 

YouTube's next, for me. Not fully, but I need to cut down on it and stop having it as my go-to some evenings. I adore the best of YouTube. I love genuinely great, thought provoking, relaxing deep dive stuff. But I've realised that in the amount of time two hours have passed and I've cycled through loads of 2-3 minutes of some bloke in his bedroom talking about a great work and going all memberberries I could have just - y'know - read a book or watched a film myself and got the primacy of first hand indulgence. 

tl;dr being mindful and present is the only way I've not gone insane, and social media is completely antithetical to that

Shit, better get going. Rainbow Rhythms is on in half an hour. 

Edited by The Gaffer

• Members

Not sure where to put this, but I went to the Farnborough Air Show today and it massively bummed me out.

I had to go as its my job, but to see hundreds of businesses up close and personal knowing they essentially deal in things that are actively killing people right now was just shit. The event was sponsored by Lockheed Martin ffs.

Look at this.

20240726_154818.thumb.jpg.8887069abed49e8f7c3877591ec20fe9.jpg

Those are real missiles on sale (well not to me or you) and I saw an F-35 display, which again was just depressing. Those planes are probably being used right now somewhere in the world.

I didn't really know how to process it all to be quite honest. I feel a bit shit.

JFC indeed.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Not sure where to put this, but I went to the Farnborough Air Show today and it massively bummed me out.

I had to go as its my job, but to see hundreds of businesses up close and personal knowing they essentially deal in things that are actively killing people right now was just shit. The event was sponsored by Lockheed Martin ffs.

Arms dealer?

• 2 weeks later...