UFC 279: Diaz vs Ferguson - Sep 10 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

She’s pushing 40 as well. But I’d use the term “former main eventer” very loosely when it comes to describing ol’ Sandra Buttock. The standard for what constitutes a main event isn’t always high in the Apex era. It’s probably never meant less. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

So realistically, how long does Nate Diaz last against Chimaev? the bookies are offering + money on the fight ending in under a round and half, that sounds playable to me. Nate's never been stopped that early and his durability is legendary, but this just seems like a fight to far for me.

The only fight Nate ever won at 170 was against a blown up McGregor, outside of that he's been handled by the guys he's fought. Guys like Stun Gun Kim and Rory MacDonald threw Diaz around with relative ease, and that would have been Nate around his physical prime. Chimaev is probably gonna be the strongest guy Diaz has ever been in the cage with, he's got nasty power and he's relentless. If Chimaev comes out with zero respect for Diaz and tries to end it, i think he does in under a round. 

How does everyone else feel about it?

• Paid Members

Similar feelings to you, but against such a high profile opponent I feel like there's as much chance that Chimaev doesn't go full bore from the off - either just being cagey about making 100% sure he wins the fight, or from having too much fun and wanting to show off. I'm not as deep into UFC as I used to be though so have largely only seen his highlights, may have a skewed opinion on him from that

• Paid Members

If Diaz has any kind of chance at all, it's the grappler's equivalent of the puncher's chance, combined with his level of experience. But as others have said, I just don't see any way he even gets to use that. If Burns couldn't do it in five rounds, I really don't reckon Diaz will. If he did somehow pull it off, it'd possibly be similar to Pena's upset against Nunes, I reckon. 

• Paid Members

Diaz who nearly knocked Leon out, who knocked Usman out, who knocked Burns out who nearly knocked Chimaev out. 

Diaz via round 4 TKO

/s

It's a wild one. I'd pick Chimaev to get it to the floor early doors and get a GnP stoppage easily but I'd like to see how it plays out if Chimaev wants to prove a point and keep it standing. Burns held up pretty well and had his own moments against Khamzat.

Ultimately, I just wanna see Uncle Dana look like this

Screenshot_20220907-133607_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8b4ad9a3b6d1718164b7136426e81d90.jpg

• Paid Members

Let's make no bones about it. Nate Diaz' night will peak when the spotlight is on him and Bruce Buffer squeals out his name and Stockton one last time in the Octagon. 

This is as glorified a squash match as the UFC can get away with putting on. Of fighters at the top level (UFC ranking level/contender status in the other big promotions) Nate is a bang average, middle of the pack, type of guy. Add to that, he's way past his own peak. He's fighting a guy that, style-wise, is an absolute nightmare for him. Plus he wants out of his contract and is probably only taking this fight as his hand feels forced and he just wants out the door. Is his heart in it? I'm skeptical. 

Like most of us, I think Nate has been great fun, and there would be some craic to be had if he embarrassed Dana White here on his way out the door. But anyone that actually feels Nate has some kind of chance to win is just being awkward for the sake of being awkward. It's sport, and so Chimaev could slip and break his leg. He could go out with Paulo Costa the night before who might slip him some alcoholic wine undercover. He could have too much tiramisu and slip in the shower trying to make weight. He could cut his head on a headbutt going for the first takedown. These things can happen, sure. But that's exactly what it's going to take if Nate is not going to end up smeshed

I give Nate less chance than I gave Pena against Nunes, less than I gave Serra against GSP. So what do I know. But then we also saw the rematches of those fights and were shown why the original challengers were such dogs. For every fluke Serra or Pena win, there's a Shamrock v Ortiz, Hughes v Gracie, Penn Vs Yair, Adesanya Vs Anderson Silva, Covington Vs Lawler etc, etc. Eventually the young eat the old. 

The only way I give Nate of winning this is if Chimaev comes out all-guns blazing and looks for an early finish only to gas a bit. We know Nate improves as the fight goes on, so if he's somehow still there going into the 4th he'll have as good a chance of winning as he'll ever get.