UFC 279: Diaz vs Ferguson - Sep 10 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

13 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

My sister sent me this Johnny Walker video out of the blue yesterday;

She was as big a fight fan as me at one time and actually showed some promise in Kickboxing and Tae Kwon Do as a teenager but fell out of it. She put my piddly efforts at Boxing, Muay Thai and BJJ to shame, to be honest, but real life got in the way. She hasn’t followed combat sports in forever apart from the odd big Boxing match. I think Johnny Walker of all people might’ve rekindled her love for this shit. I love the mad sod as well but how do I break it to her that he’s actually a bit shite? 🤣

• Paid Members

Press conference got cancelled. Khamzat Chimaev and Kevin Holland got into a nothing pushing match backstage, then Nate and his team showed up and escalated it because Tiki Ghosn was standing in the wrong place or some shite and water bottles got thrown. Bunch of fucking adult babies.

I get why they scrapped the presser with 3 of the key fighters on the card all involved but it really sounds like it wasn’t that big a deal. When I woke up and saw a bunch of tweets about it, the way people were going on I thought people must’ve gone to the morgue and all sorts. The CM Punk backstage round of handbags in AEW the other day sounds like it was more physical than this shit. Obviously I’m glad it didn’t go any further. Last thing an already shallow PPV card like this needs is someone getting hurt in a stupid altercation and fights getting binned because of it. But as ever, the reaction on social media is overblown. Hopefully this’ll be a lesson to the UFC though, they need to be on the ball at the weigh ins tonight to make sure nothing kicks off.

Everyone’s crying about not getting a press conference now and missing out on the indecipherable back and forth mumblings of Chimaev and Diaz. The real crime is poor Li Jingliang got his best clobber on and never even got to get on stage and show it off…

C0A3E27D-0A81-4F8B-941D-C000683AAA8B.jpeg

• Paid Members

This is a complete shitshow. Looking like Chimaev’s definitely gonna miss weight. Badly. Helwani’s saying he’s been told he’s 8-10lbs off making weight and the weigh ins are going on now as far as I can tell. Diaz was 171 on the scales. Don’t know what’s going on. If Chimaev really is that far off he’s obviously never making 170. Does the fight go on? Do they bump someone else up, maybe do Diaz vs Ferguson now? Fucking shambles. 

53 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Looking like Chimaev’s definitely gonna miss weight. Badly. Helwani’s saying he’s been told he’s 8-10lbs off making weight and the weigh ins are going on now as far as I can tell.

178.5lbs!

Edited by DJM

• Paid Members

Yeah, and looking healthy and smirking and tweeting joking about it. It’d be one thing if he looked like he’d struggled or at least felt bad about it. It genuinely seems like he never even tried and now he’s taking the piss. The UFC couldn’t have given him more of a plum job this weekend. Throwing him in with a 37 year old, past his best yet still one of the biggest and most popular names on the roster in Nate Diaz. In a main event spot. The highest profile most winnable fight they could’ve given him, except maybe Conor McGregor. And most likely would’ve bagged him a title shot if he won. And he’s still managed to fuck it all up.

I’m not even particularly a fan of Nate but I actually hope this goes ahead and he somehow wins now. It won’t happen but I’d honestly love to see it, and then Nate bounces out of the UFC so they can’t even capitalise on it. Just to spite Dana, his plans and his new favourite, salad dodging Khamzat.

Edit - this is highly unlikely to actually happen but Poirier tweeted this…

He’s close to 170 and Mike Brown and Alan Jouban have tweeted that he’s been training and is willing to jump in. Like I say, very unlikely at this stage. 24 hours out, they’d have to fly him in and he does already have that Chandler fight booked for November. It would kind of be fitting if this somehow ended up as Diaz vs Poirier though. It was the fight they were both campaigning for originally, going back months now. I think if there’s gonna be a switch up in the matchmaking this late in the day, it’ll be Diaz vs Ferguson though. It’s just easier for everyone involved.

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

1689393974_Reddana-133607_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8b4ad9a3b6d1718164b7136426e81d90.jpg.1de98faa5f9b3ad4b8776b7134996346.jpg

Mental really. UFC booked themselves heavily to win and they fucked it. Can't see Nate is under any obligation to fight Chimaev now. If he ends up with Tony it's such a great fuck you to the UFC. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

Seen some rumblings of Nate vs Tony with Chimaev vs Holland as co-main now. But I don’t know if there’s anything to the Chimaev vs Holland rumour. It would kind of make sense, I suppose. They might actually be better fights to watch as well, oddly enough.

Just a colossal balls up on all fronts this. I love the way Dana basically tried to bully Nate on the way out, throwing him into a nightmare matchup rather than do the obvious Poirier, Ferguson, Gaethje, Chandler type fights. And now it’s backfired spectacularly and Nate’s basically kind of calling the shots anyway.

Edited by wandshogun09