Mes que un Thread (22-23 Domestic Football, unless domestic is Scotland)

Duke

I’d say Newcastle are to the top four what Arsenal are to the title race. Neither has looked particularly great but both are good enough to warrant where they are on merit. Big second half of the season to come after the World Cup, everyone else should be as knackered as Liverpool have been from the start so key players like Odegaard and Haaland not going off to Qatar will be massive for their clubs. Liverpool get Diaz back and invest in at least one first team midfielder and we should look good for the top 4 I think.

• Paid Members

Yeah I definitely wouldn't write off Liverpool from the top 4, no matter what Klopp says. I know Mane was an incredible player for them, but it's not as though they don't have brilliant forwards. When they're all finally fit and available, that's an impressive array of attacking options. I'm convinced they will finish above Chelsea and United for a start. 

The World Cup is interesting, because some teams won't have many players going. Haaland aside, pretty much the entire City squad will be there. I think United will have loads there, Chelsea and Spurs will have a fair few. Arsenal and Liverpool however, not so much. I haven't looked into them but I'd imagine Newcastle won't have many going. Can't see Dan Burn or Joe Willock on the plane somehow...

Bruno, Trippier, Pope, Schär, Botman and likely Wilson going to the World Cup isn't as many as some clubs admittedly, but I'd say injuries and fatigue to any of them arguably mess Newcastle up more than most. 

I'm genuinely a bit concerned with what the club are going to do come January with them being where they are. Do they go big in the market in a bid to secure top 4 or do they remain pragmatic? Post World Cup transfer markets are usually ridiculous anyway, consider that this one is mid season and Newcastle's perceived spending power and it's a recipe for some weird sideways business.

As for do they deserve where they are? Probably Garth. They've done better than expected in the few bigger games they've had and comfortably performed in games that would have been a struggle last year. I don't expect them to finish top 4, but after this half of the season I'd say to miss out on Europe would be a disappointment. If they make it though, that's when silly season starts. 

Edited by BrodyGraham
Garthing.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BrodyGraham said:

Bruno, Trippier, Pope, Schär, Botman and likely Wilson going to the World Cup isn't as many as some clubs admittedly, but I'd say injuries and fatigue to any of them arguably mess Newcastle up more than most. 

I don't think Botman will make the World Cup. I don't think he's actually played for Netherlands yet and they have quite a few experienced options ahead of him. 

1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

Given James’s injury and Southgate’s feelings on Alexander-Arnold, Trippier is looking like a dead cert to start the World Cup at right back. Fair play, too, he’s had a brilliant season so far.

It will be interesting to see if James Maddison gets a chance, although I wonder if he’s come into form a bit too late to make an impact in the team or even squad.

That all said, I can’t recall a World Cup that has made me any less excited.

Yeah Trippier is starting for sure. Interesting to see what he does on the left side- does he only take Shaw? Normally he'd just use one of his million RBs as cover but most of them are injured and facing a battle to make the squad. Mitchell should make the squad then in my view. He should 100% take Ben White as a RB, even more so because he links up brilliantly with Saka (who will surely start), but inexplicably he will omit him. 

I think he will take Maddison as a wild card, seeing as he has 25 places to fill. Injuries are piling up and he's one of the top in-form English players at the moment. I know there has been stiff competition in his role, but it's incredible that he only has one cap to his name. 

I was less excited for the England squad full of Southampton players tbh, 2014 I think?

Can I just be the first to say that everyone needs to stop being hypocritical about oil state ownership of football teams like City and Newcastle. All billionaires are bad billionaires anyway and there’s way worse people involved in big business.  Just putting it out there, no ulterior motive.

50 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Can I just be the first to say that everyone needs to stop being hypocritical about oil state ownership of football teams like City and Newcastle. All billionaires are bad billionaires anyway and there’s way worse people involved in big business.  Just putting it out there, no ulterior motive.

Ignore this, I'm very slow on the uptake today!

Edited by BrodyGraham

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I hear you have been shopping for a thoub and ghuthrain in preparation of Kuwait buying Liverpool.

Normal service resuming at Everton. Played Bournemouth twice in a week, lost 7-1 in total.

Get new players, get new manager still the same problems. It doesn't help when they buy, one of the best crossers in the league last season in Dwight McNeil. And then buy the shortest, non-scoring striker in Neal Maupay. Forest and Wolves are the only teams who have scored less goals. Wolves don't even have a striker at the moment.

Were there no alarm bells when Brighton. Who create a lot of chances but don't score wanted to get rid of Maupay. Now he's gone, they're averaging 3 goals when they win.

DCL constantly injured. They need 1 or 2 decent strikers in January otherwise it's going to be exactly the same shitty situation as last year.

Coady and Tarkowski as a centre back pairing are ok. They've got leakier as the season has gone one. But it's better than having Michael Keane in there

On 11/9/2022 at 11:43 PM, SuperBacon said:

Important PSA. The Phenomenon: Ronaldo documentary is on BBC 4 Tuesday 15th at 9.30pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001ffsj

This is actually on iplayer now. Absolutely wonderful.

51 minutes ago, thevestofdeanambrose said:

I remember when Troopz was trying to shill Arteta out t-shirts.  Trollop of a man. 

Up the Gunners tho! 5 points clear going into Christmas. The near perfect 14 games. Let's go!!! 

On 11/11/2022 at 7:00 PM, SuperBacon said:

Preferred it when there was a separate Spurs and Arsenal thread to be honest...