Stephen King

Chris B

4 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I know you're very sad that everyone hates the Undertaker but that's no reason to take it out on Stephen King.

Ha, not sad just very bemused. (Also I don’t believe anybody actually hates him, just it’s edgy & cool to hate on him for some unknown reason)

I don’t have a beef with Stephen King, I’ve already said I appreciate some of his work. But although I can’t prove it I have a strong suspicion he’s probably guilty of crimes that warrant a full life term in jail and/or the lethal injection.

Fucking hell. In 3 pages we've gone from the silly trailer of Maximum Overdrive to "he should be killed by lethal injection"

I love the "Although I can't prove it" Makes it sound like you've been investigating him all your life, desperately searching for clues in his work.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, chokeout said:

Every story he's had adapted has been made better by someone coming in and cutting out the bloat and weird shit but having free reign comes with being successful

I'm not sure about that. Most King adaptations are terrible because usually they are made on the cheap by crap filmmakers, they are based on long books and get cut down to the point that there's barely a story left and because a lot of Kings best ideas just don't naturally translate very well to a visual medium. A psychic battle with a transdimensional spider made of endless orange light or a rhyme battle against an insane evil train across an apocalyptic wasteland works on the page but will never work on screen.

I think the King adaptations that have worked have worked because a) they are based on his smaller scale simpler more straightforward books (Misery, Carrie) or short stories (Shawshank, The Fog, Green Mile, The Body) and b) proper filmmakers like Frank Darabont, Rob Reiner, David Cronenberg and Brian De Palma have made them. 

Oh and Ultimate Hitman please shut up you fucking weirdo.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

proper filmmakers like Frank Darabont, Rob Reiner, David Cronenberg and Brian De Palma have made them. 

This is Mick Garris slander and I won't stand for it.

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I'm not sure about that. Most King adaptations are terrible because usually they are made on the cheap by crap filmmakers, they are based on long books and get cut down to the point that there's barely a story left and because a lot of Kings best ideas just don't naturally translate very well to a visual medium. A psychic battle with a transdimensional spider made of endless orange light or a rhyme battle against an insane evil train across an apocalyptic wasteland works on the page but will never work on screen.

I think the King adaptations that have worked have worked because a) they are based on his smaller scale simpler more straightforward books (Misery, Carrie) or short stories (Shawshank, The Fog, Green Mile, The Body) and b) proper filmmakers like Frank Darabont, Rob Reiner, David Cronenberg and Brian De Palma have made them. 

Oh and Ultimate Hitman please shut up you fucking weirdo.

Totally agree with all of this. And I think there are tons more of his short stories out there that could be well-adapted with the right treatment. 

I haven't seen any of the fairly recent TV adaptions of his work, like Mr Mercedes etc  - these are pretty grounded and the books are decent - are they any good?

And has anyone seen the Midnight Mass series on Netflix by Mike Flanagan - I know he's directed various King works to varying successes, but this to me was a cracking little series that could very easily have been a Stephen King book or adaption if I didn't know otherwise. 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, jm29195 said:

I haven't seen any of the fairly recent TV adaptions of his work, like Mr Mercedes etc  - these are pretty grounded and the books are decent - are they any good?

The Outsider was very good, if maybe an episode or two too long. Cracking cast, creepy direction and had acclaimed novelist/screenwriter Richard Price adapting the screenplay so I'd definitely put it up there with the better King adaptions.

6 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Fucking hell. In 3 pages we've gone from the silly trailer of Maximum Overdrive to "he should be killed by lethal injection"

I love the "Although I can't prove it" Makes it sound like you've been investigating him all your life, desperately searching for clues in his work.

Just read his tweets, blokes a bad nonce.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Ultimate Hitman said:

Whst a nice, well balanced guy you sound like.

You sound like a peadophile. But although I can’t prove it I have a strong suspicion your probably guilty of crimes that warrant a full life term in jail and/or the lethal injection.

If no one's given his work a proper go or hasn't enjoyed his novels I'd recommend Night Shift, it's a collection of very good short stories and an easy read.

50 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

A weird take by someone currently posting rape apologia in On Topic.

I make no apologies for perverts, peadophiles or rapists ever. If there was an ounce of substantiated evidence against Ric Flair I’d 100% be all for him being charged, convicted & regarded as a disgrace to the business.

Just my opinion that Stephen King is a strange human. Savile vibes & worse.