Talksport's "Revival" was 20 years ago today...

mim731

• Paid Members

Prompted by tweets from our very own @IANdrewDiceClay, I thought it's probably thread-worthy given it was a huge show at the time, or at least felt like it. Anyone got any fun memories from the event?

For me, it was queuing in the cold for several hours to get a front row seat at 15 years old, and as a result getting accidentally punched in the face by Robbie Brookside, and almost squashed by Ulf Hermann. I have very fond memories of that event, although in retrospect it was the beginning of the end for that first "boom" period of modern BritWres I think.  I did try a pot noodle for the first time that day though, so it had some high points. 

The shitty edited Bravo broadcast of the event is here if you're interested:

Edited by mim731
added Ian's tweet

• Paid Members

My prevailing memories were how good Eddy still was, and not being able to comprehend such a good match being on Bravo, and having read how state of the art Fleisch vs Storm was, being dismayed at how chopped up for broadcast it was.

Still think their match at CZW Best of the Best 2 was better than any they had over here, mind, but then it’s impossible for any human being to have seen all of those.

I didn't have the internet back then. Remember the build up with the snippets in PowerSlam. Pretty sure the review was out in the magazine before Bravo would air it so I think I knew what to expect.

Reminded me of L!ve TV's attempt a few years before. Some tweaks in presentation and the talent that had been on both shows had improved. With that in the back of my mind I had hoped this could lead to more shows.

I remember the talksport show that led to this. 

Saturday 8-10 straight after the football phone-in hosted by Tommy Boyd and Alex Shane. Revival was live on talksport in the day when the station could never get rights to anything (the 2002 World Cup was covered with "unofficial commentaries") wrestling was a rare time they did commentary alongside poker. 

Tommy Boyd would get fired because some guy rang in on the night of the Queen Mothers death and said that the the royal family should be assassinated and Boyd didn't dump the call. 

Shane would carry on as the main host with some called Lilsboy(?) as his co-host. 

The show would be dumped. The reason? The show had too many under 18s listening and therefore didn't attract to advertisers, which is hilarious in hindsight. Its replacement? An easy listening music show. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, theringmaster said:

Has there ever been any kind of history of this event and the aftermath that has not been written with the help of Alex Shane? 

No. And there’s two things you can do about it, nothing and like it.

• Paid Members
On 2/10/2022 at 8:26 AM, Tsurutagun said:

The show would be dumped. The reason? The show had too many under 18s listening and therefore didn't attract to advertisers, which is hilarious in hindsight. Its replacement? An easy listening music show.

Which a few folks from here trolled the DJ for, IIRC.

It was hilarious seeing Grandmaster Sexay (I believe it was him) getting worked up over the starter pistol for a competitve swim in the pool adjacent to the hall, but can't remember if that was during his actual match or at the Q&A with Eddie earlier in the afternoon.

Edited by seph