AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

54 minutes ago, Louch said:

Cornette was the same from clip I seen. Announcers should have been all over that to be fair 

They did. Which is kind of the most infuriating part of this.

Mox comes out cuts a promo basically saying he's top dog, has been since day 1. There ain't nobody in the back or within 100 miles that can tell him any different.

Hangman returns.

The commentary team explain how Hangman was in Indianapolis to get medically cleared. How it was Mox that injured him and he's been out of action since.

Stare down. Mox asks if he's sure you want to do this after last time. Taking the piss by banging the side of his head "Do you even remember last time?". It kicks off.

Edited by Infinity Land

57 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

They did. Which is kind of the most infuriating part of this.

Mox comes out cuts a promo basically saying he's top dog, has been since day 1. There ain't nobody in the back or within 100 miles that can tell him any different.

Hangman returns.

The commentary team explain how Hangman was in Indianapolis to get medically cleared. How it was Mox that injured him and he's been out of action since.

Stare down. Mox asks if he's sure you want to do this after last time. Taking the piss by banging the side of his head "Do you even remember last time?". It kicks off.

Apologies, I totally tuned out of last weeks show 

24 minutes ago, Louch said:

Apologies, I totally tuned out of last weeks show 

It seems quite a few people did. You would have thought Hangman just randomly sprinted to the ring like Tegan Nox and started brawling by the way people have covered it.

Whereas it was a promo that teed up a return. Calmly walking to the ring with commentary further explaining what's going on. A staredown. Mox being a dick to instigate the brawl.

It's that effect of when things being good everything is perceived well and vice versa.

Last weeks Rampage, whilst still having issues with using the same boring wrestlers, was pretty cohesively written - the matches had reasons to be, segments flowed into matches, things setup future things, multiple characters and storylines in the main event. I think some here did point this out but the general consensus was still "rampage terrible, matches that don't mean anything, EWR booking"

Same with this Hangman thing. AEW writes bad stories and throws matches together therefore everything is perceived the same way.

Now don't get me wrong, AEW has massive booking/writing issues at the moment. Also people did this the other round when it was hot, everything was the best and there are no flaws, Tony Kahn is a great booker.

People online (or maybe just people in general) really don't have time for things being good and bad. Something is either the best and "I'm here for it all" or it's the worst trash that's ever been seen and arguments/conversations mostly seem to have to work within that paradigm

I don't think AEW is awful right now (I'm enjoying MJF, Mox and The Acclaimed for example), but as a fairly casual viewer, I'm left confused.

I'd like to see Tony cut down on talent drastically. It feels like they're shoving absolutely everyone into a faction purely so they can use as many people as possible without spending much time on story telling, net result is you have highly talented assets like Danielson being used as an afterthought.

IMHO, AEW should limit themselves to 2-3 proper factions (exlcuding tag division) and focus a lot more on building up individuals with 5-6 core programmes that people can easily follow.

• Paid Members

Oh Tony, don't be THAT guy. Anyone with eyes can tell you that the ROH stuff has been at the detriment of AEW and probably the cause for the falloff in quality. Just own it, highlight that it's a means to an end, don't just laugh it off and say it's not true.

• Paid Members

“These pay-per-view shows that Ring of Honor has done has been really successful for us," Khan began.

"We've made good money and the grosses of those shows frankly have been in line with what I paid for the entire business. So, I would say it's been a very successful relaunch.”

That’s a very pertinent quote isn’t it? Let’s face it, TK quickly managed to fill a TNA sized vacuum but also to cultivate a very loyal fanbase which lapped up anything AEW related, aided by the WWE going through a particularly heelish period.

He could have bought the fucking XWF from Jimmy Hart for ÂŁ20 and it would have done decent business just by virtue of being associated with AEW.

The ROH fanbase had moved on to AEW anyway, there was no one left to go after. AEW was its natural successor.

Fine if it was bought as a tape library, but ego was the only reason he wanted to get it back on the road, like he didn’t have enough on his plate with running an arena sized promotion with worldwide weekly TV on top of an NFL and Premier League sides.

There was no money left on the table in the same way that a WCW relaunch in 2001 could have worked.

He would have made the exact same money had they been additional AEW pay per views.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

Khan is doing a media call at the moment, and said that he's holding off on talking about the future of ROH until after Saturday's show, but said that there will be much less ROH representation on AEW TV after this week. Meanwhile, the Honor Club streaming service appears to be getting a soft relaunch, so I'm assuming there's an announcement coming on Saturday of new content going there.

No problem with ROH moving forward if it's a proper separate show, with occasional interbrand stuff, rather than just more wrestlers and more titles muddying the waters on AEW TV. I assume that's why they've gone right back to Jericho vs. Claudio - that was likely the plan immediately after the last show, something fell through, and they're just getting their ducks back in a row again now. 

Honor Club gives them the tape library/on-demand aspect too, which is the main value of the brand, you'd think. Beyond that, I can't say that I really care how much Tony paid for it or how much money it does or doesn't make him, so long as the wrestling goes back to being good.

• Paid Members

Something interesting from that media call, firstly Khan says he had months of stuff planned that he had to scrap because Punk broke his foot and additionally his mum had a stroke earlier this year. With the combination of injuries, suspensions, Forbidden Door/ROH distractions and a serious family illness you can easily see why AEW booking has been such a clusterfuck this year. A smarter man may have given more responsibility to other people to help out though.

Hopefully with most the above now being behind them AEW can course correct (though I feel like I've said this multiple times over the past few months and nothing has improved).

It's a regular criticism that he's not good when things don't go to plan. I don't know how that's fixed but he definitely needs to consider what he does and who else gets involved. Long term booking and planning is great when it works but there's so many variables and possibilities of things going wrong. He really needs better back up plans.