AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I'm not sure that's completely true; recently it's become apparent that they flounder a bit when they have to veer off whatever it is they had planned - and given that the direction of travel seemed to be a major feud between CM Punk and MJF, their main programme is once again in tatters. Hopefully we'll end up with something exciting that fills you with enthusiasm, and not another version of Jon Moxley vs Kyle O'Reilly. 

Well O’Reilly is injured so, thankfully, that idea is out. Cole too.

I agree things have been crap lately but I’d still say that they ALWAYS deliver when people think they are done. Whether it was when they ended the show with Uno and Stu beating down all the babyfaces, Matt Hardy teleporting or Kingston selling a few sparklers like they killed him. Even Forbidden Door, the build was shite and they lost their World Champion, but still put on a belter of a show.

This is bigger than all those things like but watching Punk at the media scrum, all I can think of is how many of the OTHER folk in the back must’ve been like “Oh fuck you”.

I can’t think of anything that’s going to light a fire under the rest of the roster than hearing Punk big league and try and take credit for all their success. Especially with all the doom and gloom on social media now. 

8 minutes ago, Loki said:

Is that true of AEW's audiences?  WWE absolutely, it's a mainstream product that kids and parents watch.  But AEW is essentially created for internet fans by internet fans who became wrestlers.  It's audience is surely a lot smarkier by definition.

Wwe tv audience is mostly over 50s who don’t use the house phone after the streetlights come on. It ain’t kids and parents 

9 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

I can’t think of anything that’s going to light a fire under the rest of the roster than hearing Punk big league and try and take credit for all their success. Especially with all the doom and gloom on social media now. 

Perhaps, although I've always considered them to be a generally motivated roster anyway. It could easily go the other way, with them fed up of going out there and working their arses off only for people to not talk about the PPV at all because TK can't keep everyone in check. So why bother?

But hopefully you're right and they'll use it as a good excuse to all try and steal the show and give people something to talk about that isn't personal bullshit.

5 minutes ago, Loki said:

Is that true of AEW's audiences?  WWE absolutely, it's a mainstream product that kids and parents watch.  But AEW is essentially created for internet fans by internet fans who became wrestlers.  It's audience is surely a lot smarkier by definition.

Yeah people have pointed out the Acclaimed's insider reference lines in the raps rarely get a pop but AEW have a million TVs a week give or take, right? There's definitely a million people in the U.S. who have a level of investment in wrestling that extends to looking it up online and knowing at least a bit about the behind the scenes. And they're all extremely predisposed to watching AEW as it airs. 

You have to thread a fine line here because worked shoot stuff is bollocks and I'm not suggesting you should book to the whims of being insider-y even if your fans are, but I think some people may be guilty of downplaying how tuned in the audience are. Most of the fanbase will know at least that there's been a flagrant media scrum. 

600k have watched it on AEW's YouTube channel. Same amount that watched Punk's return promo. Most Dynamite/Rampage videos average 200-500k. 

It feels like so long ago when the shows were fucking hot, week after week.

I'm hoping it's Hangman that comes out and says he told you so, if Punk's gone then just play up to it because there's no way this is being swept under the rug unless they really try their hardest to bury it.

• Paid Members

Khan needs to shoulder a tonne of the blame for how things have gotten to this point. He needs to get the house in check. However, as he's the boss, he needs to start with suspensions.

Kick Punk and The Elite into detention for two months unpaid. Bring Punk out at Arthur Ashe to drop the title to MJF and then back to the couch. Same for The Elite, only Kenny and co can drop the trios belts in Toronto. When the suspensions are up, if people can't play nice with Punk/he can't work with them, then you have to let Punk go. If Omega/Bucks/Page aren't willing to bury the hatchet, then you still need to keep them over Punk, but Khan needs to make an example of them at the same time, which is where he should strip the EVP status if he is so able. 

Give MJF and Jon Moxley all the money that you had earmarked for keeping Punk happy. It's clear a huge part of this problem is what we have all been saying for sometime, this roster is too fucking big to keep everyone happy/keep enough people hot. 

As for this week's show, just build it around MJF looking smug, a pissed off Moxley, The Acclaimed demanding a re-match, FTR doing something, anything, important - away from Jay Lethal. Christian winking and blowing kisses at the other wrestler's mammy's. No JR. Hookhausen Vs 2.0 (this show needs more Daddy Magic baby). Best Friends trying to hug PAC and him standing there like a grumpy cunt. That'll do me nicely. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Can Punk even be trusted to to business on his way out? Plus there are also rumours that he's injured again.

Yeah, Triceps injury the Top Rope Nation guys are saying. If you make the severance package big enough as a carrot, then he'll do business. If he is injured, rather than feeling rough after a tough match, then I guess we have one of those extremely rare tournaments coming. . .

3 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Yeah, Triceps injury the Top Rope Nation guys are saying. If you make the severance package big enough as a carrot, then he'll do business. If he is injured, rather than feeling rough after a tough match, then I guess we have one of those extremely rare tournaments coming. . .

If you tell him he's suspended, I doubt he'll come back. No real loss. 

• Paid Members

I don't know. I'm sure these types of contracts have some form of severance built into them, be it the old WWE style (90 day paid, no compete) or something else. If you tell Punk you'll double his payoff in order to drop the belt on his way out the door, I'd think he would do it.

The man is well off, but we also know he burned through a tonne of money suing the WWE, and now has way fewer bargaining chips than he did before.