2022 Peacock/Network thread: Where the Big Boys still play.

The Gaffer

So in what could be construed as a relapse for my already shaky moral compass, I threw WWE another month's sub just before Christmas. It was a bit of a heady time for me, and sometimes being able to pull up all that classic content on demand when you get some time to yourself can be too much to resist. 

Checking out the news this morning, and it seems like they're doing pretty well for themselves on Peacock too, as per Fightful:

...more than three million Peacock subscribers have watched WWE content on the streaming platform since it became available in March. 

The report goes on to say "more than half of those 3 million subs indicated that they signed up 'because of WWE.'"

Finally, the report states that of the 1.1 million WWE Network subscribers, one million successfully converted to Peacock.

WWE and Peacock announced the merger in January 2021 with content merging beginning on March 18. Peacock has become the home for WWE Premium Events, including the most recent WWE Day 1 event.

In July 2021, WWE President Nick Khan commented on the partnership and increasing numbers by saying, "Since moving to Peacock, viewership of our pay-per-view events have increased with Backlash up 26%, Hell in a Cell up 25%, and Money in the Bank up 46% from their prior-year performance on what was the standalone WWE Network. These viewership numbers are also up considerably from our pre-pandemic WWE Network numbers."

That's surely brilliant business for WWE, and solidifies the notion that networks will pay top dollar for access to their IP. 

36 minutes ago, simonworden said:

How's the app/site these days? One of the deciding factors in my cancellation of the nerwork was half the time having what I was watching constantly buffering. Always hoped they'd add a download function to allow binge watching on flights etc 

It's still the wild west. Site's not too bad - it can sometimes fail to timestamp stuff into your continue watching - but the app is atrocious, at least on Xbox. 

Seems to be the luck of the draw what experience you end up having, though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wonder if that means you could use a UK Disney Plus account, with a VPN pointed towards Indonesia to get access to WWE network. Or is it not as simple as that? had a quick google to see but couldn't really work it out.

Surely not, as I'd imagine WWE would be an add on/premium to the standard Disney platform

The other week AEW's Anthony Ogogo turned up at Progress. Talk at the time was that it would nobody would care and it would probably turn up on the Network. Jericho had appeared on the Broken Skull Sessions after all.

It's been edited out of the Network version, only available on Progress' own streaming service.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/anthony-ogogos-progress-appearance-removed-from-wwe-network/

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

The other week AEW's Anthony Ogogo turned up at Progress. Talk at the time was that it would nobody would care and it would probably turn up on the Network. Jericho had appeared on the Broken Skull Sessions after all.

It's been edited out of the Network version, only available on Progress' own streaming service.

https://411mania.com/wrestling/anthony-ogogos-progress-appearance-removed-from-wwe-network/

They said it would make the cut, obviously they were later told otherwise. Nice bonus for their own service mind.

• 5 months later...

Watched Rock/Triple H from SummerSlam 98 since it's on the free Best of Rock collection. 

It's absolutely immaculate. Always my favourite match on my favourite Silvervision tape as a kid, but I was expecting it to have aged somewhat. Not at all. Right from the punch/kick at the start they shrink the ring by being so fucking figuratively and literally enormous. It's like a preview of Hogan/Warrior for the new millennium slap dab in the middle of the Garden during WWE's hottest period ever. 

Then they work a bunch of "Neither of us are high flyers and only one of us has a working pair of knees" ladder spots around the outside before getting back in the ring. I know it's old timey shoot cliche but if you want to take a look at psychology, selling every movement and slowing the fuck down, here's your match. Everything is a finisher. The crowd just start banging on the floor of the arena for every big move around the halfway point. The pop when Triple H pulls the belt down I'll put against any pop ever. Even the Austin one from that Raw where Foley won the title.   

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 8:48 PM, Gay as FOOK said:

Watched Rock/Triple H from SummerSlam 98 since it's on the free Best of Rock collection. 

It's absolutely immaculate. Always my favourite match on my favourite Silvervision tape as a kid, but I was expecting it to have aged somewhat. Not at all. Right from the punch/kick at the start they shrink the ring by being so fucking figuratively and literally enormous. It's like a preview of Hogan/Warrior for the new millennium slap dab in the middle of the Garden during WWE's hottest period ever. 

Then they work a bunch of "Neither of us are high flyers and only one of us has a working pair of knees" ladder spots around the outside before getting back in the ring. I know it's old timey shoot cliche but if you want to take a look at psychology, selling every movement and slowing the fuck down, here's your match. Everything is a finisher. The crowd just start banging on the floor of the arena for every big move around the halfway point. The pop when Triple H pulls the belt down I'll put against any pop ever. Even the Austin one from that Raw where Foley won the title.   

Decided to re-watch this for the first time in ages after seeing this post. 

I really, really enjoyed this match. Genuinely refreshing to see such a 'simple' ladder match based around violence and psychology, rather than convoluted spots. It's proper starmaking stuff from everyone involved, even though both were well on their way. 

It's also incredible how much The Rock has come along since debuting in the same building less than two years prior. He just pisses confidence and, as you said, knows how to make the absolute most out of everything. 

3 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Summerslam '92 is currently free in a collection of Brtish shows, just started watching it and I forgot that Rocko was pushed as the main draw of the LoD.. no wonder Hawk went missing after the event.

The UK classics compilation is a belter as well, contains the following 

Hogan v Savage from the first Sky special in 89

Bret v Davey from Summerslam 92

Bret v Taker from One Night Only 97

HBK v Cena from the Raw in London in 2007

AJ v Jinder from the Smackdown in Manchester in 2017

I think there’s another match there as well but can’t remember off the top of my head

4 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

SummerSlam 98 is a cracking show in general.

Certainly is. Also has one of the best openers,  albeit with a shitty finish. The crowd are into everything. Loved that PPV,  watched it constantly as a kid. 🎶 NO STOP SIGNS,  SPEED LIMITS 🎶