Brian Gewirtz writing a book!

air_raid

• Paid Members

OK, so if there was still a minor news megathread I’d maybe have dumped this in there, but some of you will be interested to hear (according to Rajah) Brian Gewirtz is releasing a book next summer about his time with WWE. Gewirtz worked for the company between 1999 and 2015, much of that period as the main writer for Raw.

Maybe we won’t get anything new, maybe we will, but it will be fascinating to get one volume where a guy in the middle will give his account of some of the internal decisions, processes and politics regarding the TV around many interesting periods, events, matches, pushes etc ;

* Mania 16, the decision to hold off on Rock winning, Foleys involvement and moving to a four way.

* Booking the return of Steve Austin and eventually turning him heel, realising access to Rock is going to become limited.

* The Invasion, Flair coming in, the nWo coming in, fallout of Austin leaving, Bischoff coming in.

* Writing the TV for HHH/Booker to make HHH sound like a racist.

* Booking Goldberg first time round.

… you get the idea. Guy was around for a lot of stuff and is going to do a book about his experiences which promises amazing insight into the process and hopefully Vince, without the WWE fine tuning and censorship it would get if he was still there.

If it’s in depth and doesn’t pull any punches this could be a brilliant read. What do you think?

Sounds promising. He really doesn't strike me as the carny, save with Conrad sort. A writers room type of head who just so happened to write for the WWE. Will pick this up for sure. 

• Paid Members

he was a real hate figure at the time, as the byword for "Hollywood" writers ruining WWE because they didn't "get" wrestling, but hindsight is a wonderful thing and he's come out of it all looking far better than most.  The main thing for me is that, other than him continuing to work with The Rock, he's not a wrestling lifer who'll be desperate for his job back or who'll be fishing for controversial headlines or anything like that, so if it's good, it could well end up being the best insight into the WWE writing room culture yet. Definitely intrigued by th

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, RancidPunx said:

A lot of duds under his watch it seems.

Was Stephanie head of creative at that time ?

Steph took on a lead role in mid to late 2000 I believe, around the time HHH's face turn got pulled, but I'm sure that's coincidence, and her first big call was allegedly the rikishi turn.

18 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Steph took on a lead role in mid to late 2000 I believe, around the time HHH's face turn got pulled, but I'm sure that's coincidence, and her first big call was allegedly the rikishi turn.

Incidentally, what are some of the creative highlights of her tenure as head of creative ?

Like what ideas was she directly responsible for ? 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Pork Pie said:

Other than that didn't she have quite a big say in Cena taking on the rap character?

I imagine she had a say in that segment where he had to act like she was his favourite wankpiece.

7 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Should be a good one. Gewirtz has always come across well whenever he's done podcasts or appeared as a talking head on Network stuff.

I remember he was really interesting on Edge & Christian's podcast a few years ago.

34 minutes ago, dopper said:

I remember he was really interesting on Edge & Christian's podcast a few years ago.

Really, will check it out.

For the Cena thing, i believe she heard him rap backstage and suggested it become his gimmick. I guess thats a big win.

Other than that though…..