Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

Great fight and both fighters showing courage in taking this fight.

This is the 4th ranked vs 5th ranked fighter and historically, fighters in their position either try and hold on and fight a big name (Masvidal) or fight the guy coming off a championship loss (Colby) or try and make as much noise as possible in getting a title shot.

Both fighters have a lot of momentum behind them and it's a sign of their character that they are willing to fight.

• Paid Members

It’s actually a rematch as well. They fought on the MSG show in 2016 (McGregor vs Alvarez) and Luque stopped him in just over a minute. Obviously it’s been over 5 years since and both are better than they were then. I like it. Like Zebra says, they probably both would’ve preferred a bigger name but everyone else pretty much has a dance partner at 170 now with Covington vs Masvidal booked, Usman vs Edwards 2 all but confirmed and rumours of Burns vs Chimaev.

How the first fight ended…

4715859B-B8DF-48F8-A143-7228D3F53B23.gif

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Prochazka was a pretty big deal outside of the UFC amongst the hardcore community but he's been abit of a revelation since coming into the UFC. He's only fought twice (but beating good opposition) but its the manner of the victories that's got him into the position, he's just a violent fighter, super creative and marches forward like a maniac. All whilst looking like something out of a Kickboxer movie. Just something unique about the guy.

59ef38b7-7bb2-4785-8037-653417d311ba.jpg

It does feel a bit premature but he was coming in as a belt holder in Rizin which holds weight. He's also benefited from the division being abit all over the place too, come the end of 2022 there'll probably start being more arguments of who's next in line, but at the moment Jiri makes sense. Then affer this you'll have guys like Rakic and Anakalaev laying claim to a shot at it.

• Paid Members

Another one for the London card.

So as it stands;

Tom Aspinall vs Alexander Volkov 

Arnold Allen vs Dan Hooker 

Nikita Krylov vs Paul Craig 

Gunnar Nelson vs Claudio Silva 

Shamil Abdurakhimov vs Sergei Pavlovich 

Jack Shore vs Timur Valiev 

Nathaniel Wood vs Liudvik Sholinian 

Makwan Amirkhani vs Mike Grundy 

Molly McCann vs Luana Carolina 

Paddy Pimblett vs Kazula Vargas 

Muhammad Mokaev vs Cody Durden 

Jake Hadley vs Allan Nascimento 

Cory McKenna vs Elise Reed 

Got to be one of the strongest cards we’ve had over here in years. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yeah there’s a couple that aren’t anything amazing. The main one for me being Pimblett’s fight. I was hoping they’d get carried away with his hype and throw him in with someone he’d probably be out of his depth with like Gamrot or even Mason Jones or something. Vargas isn’t bad but it doesn’t feel like a progression at all from Pimblett’s last fight with Vendramini. 

Sholinian as Nathaniel Wood’s opponent isn’t anything to write home about but, in fairness, Wood’s coming off a loss and he missed all of 2021 so it’s fine really. Molly McCann’s fight is whatever, can’t remember much of her opponent.

The others;

I think Valiev’s a very solid opponent for Shore and he’s coming off that Barcelos win. Grundy vs Amirkhani is a fun one. And I like the debut matchups for Mokaev and Hadley. Durden’s a horrible little shit and it’ll be nice to hopefully see Mokaev give him a hiding. And Nascimento’s had a patchy run of results but he’s experienced and I vaguely recall thinking he looked good even in defeat in his last fight.

On the whole, I think it’s a really nicely matched up bunch of fights. With a couple of real step ups for Tom Aspinall and Arnold Allen.

Half of it will no doubt fall apart anyway. 

• Paid Members
On 1/27/2022 at 7:00 AM, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I know I should wait for event write ups but Wand can you sell me on caring about a Prochazka ? From his record he was beating up stiffs CB Dollaway and Maldonado 5 mins ago in Rizin. Now he has a UFC title shot?

Sorry only just seen this but yeah, Ebb’s covered everything above. I definitely think timing is the main thing. Ankalaev and Rakic are right alongside him and I think they’ll probably actually go on to have better careers overall than Prochazka in the long run but they’re both probably another big win away and Jiri’s definitely made a bigger impression with the way he ended his first couple of UFC fights. Not sure exactly how good he is but he’s a really exciting fighter to watch in a division that isn’t exactly heaving with interesting title challengers. 

7 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

surprised Mason Jones isnt on there

Yeah same. I’m still hoping he’ll be added yet, he’s the one glaring omission at the moment for me. Lerone Murphy would’ve been another one but for some reason they’ve put him on the card the week after London. 

• Paid Members

Love that Cerrone Vs Lauzon pairing. Both of them could be doing with the slippers right about now, and really both have been coming off a decent break, so they must be paying some serious thoughts to hanging them up altogether. When either of them are fighting at this stage, this is the only type of fight I would want to see them in. 

• Paid Members

The fight we’ve all been waiting for. 

Don’t like this. Wasn’t Gustafsson supposed to be returning to 205 after his attempt at Heavyweight against Werdum went man-boobs up? He was meant to fight Paul Craig at some point over the last few months but pulled out. Now he’s sacked the idea off and fighting at HW again? I know Big Ben isn’t exactly elite but I just don’t get the feeling Gus is moving to HW for the right reasons. It’s not like Jon Jones taking time out to properly pack the extra weight on gradually. Judging by the shape Gus rocked up in against Werdum it just seems like he simply can’t be bothered to cut the weight anymore. Big time Gian Villante vibes. Just don’t have a good feeling about Heavyweight Gus. He might win this Rothwell fight. Maybe. But it just feels like it’s ending in tears before long.