Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

On 1/6/2022 at 12:13 PM, Egg Shen said:

Really? Max is probably the most popular fighter in the division, add with that him continuing to prove he is the best guy behind Volkanovski. Its the fight to make.

How many more times though? Seriously? I mean, if Holloway wins do we give Volk an immediate rematch as well? Surely he'll have earned it, no? Or do we just keep putting Max in there until the law of averages say that he'll win eventually?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

How many more times though? Seriously? I mean, if Holloway wins do we give Volk an immediate rematch as well? Surely he'll have earned it, no? Or do we just keep putting Max in there until the law of averages say that he'll win eventually?

It's a difficult one, though. If Max keeps winning matches, what do you do if you don't give him a rematch while he's still in his prime? Then the only real place for him to go is Bellator - we saw from the Poirier match that 155 is in all likelihood a bound too far, and he's too big for BW. Only other solution is for the UFC to create a junior-lightweight/super-featherweight division.

• Paid Members

The problem as well is Max probably beats everyone but Volkanovski. So you either give him his shot when he earns it or he’ll just keep eliminating fresh contenders anyway. 

I do think we’ll be seeing him give 155 another go before too long though. There’s just too many big and fun fights for him there. And I wouldn’t even write his chances off of doing well at 155. Poirier’s one of the very best in the world, losing to him doesn’t have to mean you’re out of your depth in the division. I think if this third fight with Volk does still happen (and it seems inevitable at some point) and Volk goes 3-0, I definitely think Max might just try Lightweight. That McGregor rematch is there for him, has a ready made backstory and he’s likely catching Conor on the slide. I’m sure he’ll wanna get that fight before Conor completely fades or gets injured again or commits a crime that takes him out of the game or something. Then there’s the unfinished business with Oliveira, not to mention what you’d expect to be surefire FOTY contenders with Gaethje and Chandler. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Sorry to double post but…

I’m erect.

Also, Gregor Gillespie was calling out Tony Ferguson the other day and Mateusz Gamrot replied ‘let’s go’. I’d fucking love to see Gillespie vs Gamrot! Never even thought of that matchup but now I’ll be gutted if it isn’t booked.

Lightweight really is the bollocks isn’t it?

Edit - now Legohead’s piping up.

He always does though, doesn’t he? I’m never sure how serious he is with this stuff and I’m not sure he actually wants to come out of retirement but if he is serious, I wouldn’t hate this, to be fair. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

The problem as well is Max probably beats everyone but Volkanovski. So you either give him his shot when he earns it or he’ll just keep eliminating fresh contenders anyway. 

Basically, Cain/JDS at featherweight.

24 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I do think we’ll be seeing him give 155 another go before too long though. There’s just too many big and fun fights for him there. And I wouldn’t even write his chances off of doing well at 155. Poirier’s one of the very best in the world, losing to him doesn’t have to mean you’re out of your depth in the division. I think if this third fight with Volk does still happen (and it seems inevitable at some point) and Volk goes 3-0, I definitely think Max might just try Lightweight. That McGregor rematch is there for him, has a ready made backstory and he’s likely catching Conor on the slide. I’m sure he’ll wanna get that fight before Conor completely fades or gets injured again or commits a crime that takes him out of the game or something. Then there’s the unfinished business with Oliveira, not to mention what you’d expect to be surefire FOTY contenders with Gaethje and Chandler. 

Surely it does, if you're looking to challenge for the title? To be the man, you gotta beat the man, and all that. After achieving the heady heights of being champion at 145, there's no way he'd head to 155 if he didn't think he could beat the best, no?

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Basically, Cain/JDS at featherweight.

Surely it does, if you're looking to challenge for the title? To be the man, you gotta beat the man, and all that. After achieving the heady heights of being champion at 145, there's no way he'd head to 155 if he didn't think he could beat the best, no?

When he fought Poirier wasn't it as a short notice replacement as the original opponent (can't recall who now) withdrew injured? 

Spending a little time getting to the weight, adjusting to walking around/training and actually fighting at that weight will likely be a whole different ball game if Max does decide to go down that route. It's all up in the air with his latest injury mind. I do see him going there at some point though... Too many big fights await. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

No doubt Max will believe he can do it. We’re talking about a man who accepted a fight with Khabib on about 3 days notice a few years ago. I’m not saying that. He’ll absolutely 100% believe he can be the champ at 155. And in a post-Khabib division, I don’t think it’s unrealistic myself either. I think a rematch between him and Oliveira today would be a very interesting fight and one I certainly wouldn’t count Max out in. And that’s what I’m getting at. Just because you lose to one man who’s at the top end of a division, doesn’t mean you lose to all the top guys in that division. And you don’t necessarily have to beat all of them to become champ. Timing is everything. As good as Oliveira is, I don’t think he would’ve ever been champ if Khabib was still around. Same with Glover at 205 if Jones was still active. Poirier might just have had Holloway’s number. I don’t know, maybe Holloway isn’t ever gonna be the same at 155 as he’s been at 145. That’s a very real possibility and we’ve seen it play out with Conor McGregor. Although there were obviously other factors as well there, Conor just hasn’t been as effective at 155. I just think it’s a bit unfair to write Holloway’s chances at 155 off, or act like he’s out of his depth there, based off one fight. Plus it can take some guys longer to adjust to a new weight class. You’d have never thought back when Dustin Poirier was early in his Lightweight run and getting ironed out by Michael Johnson that he’d be where he is now just a few years later.

If Max were to enter the 155 ranks now, I could absolutely see him doing well. Whether he’d beat the right guys to get him a title shot who knows. But say he came to 155 and got a rematch with McGregor, I could see him winning that one. And depending on how the division looks after that I wouldn’t be shocked to see him get a title shot and while they’d be tough fights, I wouldn’t count him out against Oliveira or Gaethje at all. There’s a path at 155 where I could see him getting there. But there’s also fights like Makhachev that could stop him in his tracks. Long story short, what I’m saying is it’s interesting enough that I wanna see him try. It’s not like say, McGregor on about moving to 170 like he has at times the last few years, where you just can’t see him being competitive at all at the top end. I think there’s some great fights at 155 for Max. Some more winnable than others but that’s the name of the game and the whole point we watch. 

• Paid Members

That whole weight range from 135-155 is just rammed full with incredible fights, both within each separate division and with guys going up or down in weight. You can extend it and add Flyweight and Welterweight at either end and there’s even more but that chunk of the roster from 135 to 155 really is where the magic happens isn’t it? Endless possibilities.

Latest on the Featherweight title situation according to Helwani;

I’d be quite happy with this. 

Edited by wandshogun09