Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

That’s the first time this one’s been cancelled. It was Said Nurmagomedov last time. These Nurmagomedovs don’t want any of Shore it seems 😂 shame though it was one of the fights I was really looking forward to over the next few months.

That Askarov vs Kara France fight on the last page is a cracker. That could end up being a title eliminator actually as well. They’re not big names but I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing that over 5 rounds.

Just saw this. What have they got against Gomi. He’s gonna be the new Sakuraba isn’t he, where they just keep wheeling him out there for beatings.

260F889D-36E6-466E-A75F-5528A90245A5.jpeg

• Paid Members

https://www.espn.co.uk/mma/story/_/id/33001503/ufc-272-feature-alexander-volkanovski-max-holloway-aljamain-sterling-petr-yan-fights

UFC 272 is shaping up to be pretty damn tasty. The Volk-Max trilogy fight and the Yan/Sterling re-match. I don't see the possibility of a snoozer in either. 

• Paid Members

Got to think it's Max rolling the dice on this being his last go round at featherweight, should he lose. If you're 0-3 to the champ, you're toast in the title picture. He'd either be in: 

A) Celebrity fighter territory

B) Hunting the title at 155. 

In the case of A, he'd probably have to go to 155 anyway, at least now and again as that's where the sexy match-ups would be. He could still flip flop between divisions though depending on what was available. 

In the case of B, he could take a bit of time off, work on building his frame for a serious go at 155. 

As it is, I hope he wins the belt back. All the same, that likely leads to a 4th fight between them. 

I have to say though, I have no problem with re-matches and trilogies or even fourth fights between contemporaries that require it. Like in this case, when both men are clearly the top guys in their division. I'd go so far as to say it's necessary in a lot of cases and often more exciting (how many great rivalries were only one fight?)

What I don't like are automatic re-matches. So with this one I have no issue with it at all. I think there is more of a case for making this third fight now, than there was for the second fight at the time it was made. 

Would I have preferred to have seen Holloway fight someone else to try and win three In a row first, with Volk maybe defending against someone like Zombie or Giga? Sure, I think that may have been better actually. Especially if something happened like Volk and Max losing and maybe Holloway and Volkanovski having to have a non title fight to be next contender. That would have been an interesting wrinkle. 

As it is, they are #1 and #2, or 1A and 1B. If Max stays at 145 without being in a title fight, he's just going to be clearing out challengers. He's the rightful #1 contender. Have the trilogy and let's see what happens. 

• Paid Members

Yeah I’m good with it. I know Volk’s 2-0 but it’s the two best Featherweights on the planet facing off, I can’t complain about that. Plus after the performance against Kattar and the awesome fight with Yair, I think Max has earned another crack. I think Chikadze’s still one good win away (the Kattar fight on the 15th might do it), Ortega’s coming off the loss to Volk, Yair’s coming off the loss to Holloway etc. The only other option right now would’ve been the Zombie for me but even him, he’s not been that active and he’s only one fight removed from the loss to Ortega. I think Max’s wins over Kattar and Rodriguez trump Zombie’s win over Dan Ige.

As Al says, some fights warrant a series and when you’ve got the two guys who are the consensus #1 vs #2 in the world, I’m good with it. Even if Max wins this time and they have to do a fourth fight down the line, so be it. Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez fought 4 times in Boxing, Jerome Le Banner and Mark Hunt fought 4 times in K-1. Fuck, without checking I’m sure Peter Aerts and Semmy Schilt fought 5 times! I can take a bit more Volkanovski vs Holloway. And although I had Volk winning both fights with Holloway, the second one was close and given how good Max has looked since, I think it’d be a bit harsh to completely freeze him out of the title picture.

In other completely unrelated but very pleasing news, this one’s been rebooked…