Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Not an ‘announcement’ as such but it looks like Leon Edwards is finally getting that title shot.

Always made sense once Masvidal pulled out of the fight in December. Doing Usman vs Edwards 2 for the belt and Covington vs Masvidal seemed like the most logical and obvious route to take but when Leon didn’t take a replacement fight at UFC 269 I think everyone thought Dana would hold that against him and make him wait longer for his shot. He probably would’ve done as well but there isn’t really another clear option right now other than Belal Muhammad. If we get this Usman vs Edwards rematch, Covington vs Masvidal and that rumoured Burns vs Chimaev fight I’ll be well happy. Not sure who that leaves Belal with though. 

• Paid Members

Is there a date/card targeted for Usman vs Edwards 2 yet?

Here’s another fight booked. Miesha Tate is dropping to Flyweight. 

This has the feel of desperation to me from Miesha, after her attempted Bantamweight comeback fell at the second hurdle. It’d be nice if it worked out well and she put a little run together but I can’t see it. And even if she does, the end game is Valentina Shevchenko and she gets annihilated if that happens. Not sure she gets past Murphy at this point myself. 

• Paid Members

yeh i dont like that from Tate, clearly a plan to knock off Murphy and walk into a title fight. Cant blame her i guess, but dropping to 125 after coming back and looking like she'd rebuilt her frame for her bantamweight comeback seems desperate.

He was on the Helwani show this week and she said the fight with Murphy hasn't been confirmed, she hasn't signed a bout agreement or been given a contract for it yet.

She said she walks around 140ish lbs so the cut isn't going to be an issue for her at all.

I think it's a smart move, with her name value and the lack of fresh contenders for Valentina, she can get a title shot off maybe 1 win and a good performance. At Bantamweight, her friend is the current champion and the potential next champ doesn't historically defend her BW title all that much due to being a co champ. Plus that division is slightly deeper and she would need to win 3 in a row to realistically get a title fight.

• Paid Members

I wouldn't be surprised if they went with it. 

The Till/Hall fight doesn't seem to be confirmed yet and I dunno if Till would even want top billing and all that pressure after the poor run he's been on. Another high profile loss for him is really gonna hurt his draw and star power. 

Hooker obviously has a pretty big following these days but they always seem to want a Brit with a bit of a name in the main event... Arnold Allen is a long way off that yet despite his record. 

If Pimblett does headline, hopefully he gets crushed! 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

I just googled the match-up, and the first hit I got was an article from MMA Mania saying that their managers had denied hearing anything about it:

https://www.mmamania.com/2022/1/18/22890451/ufc-dana-white-announces-paddy-pimblett-jared-gordon-march-19-managers-shoot-down-espn-mma

• Paid Members

Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t be surprised if Pimblett vs Gordon headlined given the state of some of the Fight Night main events we’ve had in the past. It wouldn’t even be the worst. But I hope they don’t go with that as main event. The fight itself is fine, but it’d be weak as main event. If Pimblett was fighting someone like Mateusz Gamrot or Gregor Gillespie I’d be quite happy to see it on top. But as decent as he is, Gordon reeks of Fight Pass prelims.

Allen vs Hooker would be way better. I get Allen isn’t a name but surely this is the kind of fight that could potentially give him that boost. A headline spot against a guy like Hooker who’s mixed with some of the best and been a win or two away from title contention a couple of times. That as main event with maybe the Pimblett fight as co-main and then rounding out the main card with the likes of Aspinall, McCann and the Octagon debuts of Hadley and Mokaev would make for a pretty sweet show, I reckon.