Fight Announcement Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

its gotta be the oldest age of the 4 combined fighters in those main and co-main events thats ever competed in a high level MMA event, i challenge anyone to find an older set of fighters...

Would've gone Ortiz/Liddell 3, but I think the other fighters on that were normal age.

How about the card with Kimbo/Dada & Shamrock/Royce?

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

someone needs to to do the math

Not if you're not going to put the "s" on the end like any decent, normal person would.

Romero = 44

Manhoef = 45 (honestly thought he was younger)

Bader = 38

Cheick Kongo = 46

Total: 183 years

At the time of the above card:

Shamrock = 51 (turns out it's his birthday today!)

Royce = 49

Kimbo = 42

Dada = 38

Total: 180

So only just. Very narrow margin, though.

• Paid Members

My first thought was whichever UFC PPV (turns out it was 109) was headlined by Randy Couture vs Mark Coleman but looking up the card I see Chael Sonnen vs Nate Marquardt was the co-main for that and they were young whippersnappers back in 2010.

4-C5-D77-B0-02-A5-4-F36-B0-B4-5-FF169-F6

Coleman was as old then as Manhoef is now! I know it’s been last legs stuff with Manhoef for some time now but Coleman really felt like a relic during that comeback didn’t he? I guess it was the weirdness of seeing someone who was such a big part of the SEG era, early days of the UFC plonked into the modern setup. Thought Randy was closer to 50 when this fight happened as well for some reason. Probably because of the way the UFC commentators and promotional stuff always banged on about his age all the time like he was the Queen Mother or something.

Anyway, yeah, it’s gonna be tough to beat the main/co-main combined age of this Bellator card. 

Cheick Kongo at 46 years old, and turning 47 in May, is fighting for the heavyweight title. Amazing. 

Dude is 8-1-1 in his last ten, hasn't been stopped in almost nine years, and fought in his first MMA fight in 2001. Over twenty fucking years ago. He made his UFC debut at UFC 61, which featured a headline bout of Tim Sylvia vs Andrei Arlovski, and Tito Ortiz vs Ken Shamrock. 

His style isn't always fan friendly, but the guy has mastered the art of longevity. He's looked about 35 for the past 10 years!

• Paid Members

ive had a love/hate relationship with the Bellator run of Cheick Kongo, but you can't not respect the stretch he's been on, the win list has aged well too (Volkov, Sakai, Johnson, Minakov). I'd love to the MMA media get behind this title defence because it's going to be a pretty special accomplishment if he pulls it off.

• Paid Members

Not actually an announcement yet but…please let this happen.

Although the vague “in the future” doesn’t exactly fill me with optimism that we’re actually gonna see it anytime soon. Plus Yair just fought in November, he’s due another 2 year disappearing act. Hope not though. This is a fantastic fight if it comes off. Ideally as a 5 round main event. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Machida's still knocking about? Guy must be about 40 by now.

EDIT: Just checked, he's 43. And his recent record's three defeats on the bounce. He should surely hang them up after this.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

Machida's a weird one, because whilst he's getting up there in age, he lives the life and is still in great shape. You also have to factor in he takes very little damage still, and his defeats are decision losses that could have gone either way, so hes slowing down but is far from someone you call 'shot'. This will be the first time he's taken a different route though and will be fighting a hungry, young fighter, good fight.