David Amess, MP, stabbed, confirmed dead.

Hannibal Scorch

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Just make it a thread about the incident. 

RIP. Shocking stuff.

Agreed, not everything has to be a megathread, and starting a general politics thread with a stabbing seems a little off in the first place. Having two MPs stabbed to death in around five years is nothing short of horrific. 

• Chest Rockwell changed the title to David Amess, MP, stabbed, confirmed dead.

Don't forget other MPs in recent times have been stabbed too. I think it was Stephen Twigg was stabbed too.

The wider political spectrum needs to look at how they behave as the language and behaviours of politicians these days is abysmal compared to previous years. Its no wonder that MPs think twice about engaging too much with constituents with things like this a very real possibility 

• Paid Members

I thought the reaction of Angela Rayner calling the Tories scum was overblown. But I think I’m wrong. The words these politicians use are important and I think changes may be needed to stop the rise of these attacks happening. It’s the third in a decade I heard on the radio earlier. It’s awful. And I agree, whatever side you stand on politically, this is just absolutely abhorrent. 

5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I thought the reaction of Angela Rayner calling the Tories scum was overblown. But I think I’m wrong. The words these politicians use are important and I think changes may be needed to stop the rise of these attacks happening. It’s the third in a decade I heard on the radio earlier. It’s awful. And I agree, whatever side you stand on politically, this is just absolutely abhorrent. 

I still think it was overblown and, according to the latest reports, probably had nothing to do with what happened today.

I don't really want to get into a big discussion about what is or isn't acceptable political discourse in this thread, right now, after a man has just been murdered but I'll just say that if somebody finds themselves pushed into commiting murder because another person called someone else scum, that person was already way off the deep end.

29 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I thought the reaction of Angela Rayner calling the Tories scum was overblown. But I think I’m wrong. The words these politicians use are important and I think changes may be needed to stop the rise of these attacks happening. 

No, I think you were right. There’s a clear difference between Johnson using the word ‘traitor’, and Raynor using the word ‘scum’. At the moment, you have a Hone Secretary who is attempting to put a policy in place that could theoretically allow Border Patrol to ignore a drowning refugee, allowing them to die with no consequences. The word ‘scummy’ isn’t strong enough to describe that, it’s legitimately evil. We shouldn’t attempt to legitimise the viewpoint that this is OK by not calling it what it is.

It’s absolutely awful that David Amess was stabbed to death, but the policies his party are proposing are also awful. His life and the hypothetical (but perhaps inevitable) drowning refugee’s life are of equal importance.

Ultimately, I don't believe that just because somebody says something, or helps enact a policy, as part of their "geuinely held political beliefs" that they are then somehow magically absolved from getting any language that they themselves get to deem beyond the pale thrown at them.

Just because you really, really believe something is right, from the bottom of your heart, that doesn't mean you're not scum and shouldn't be called such.

Again, this is in general. I'm not making a comment about the man murdered today, really - although his voting record shows that he reguarly voted against basic rights for the LGBTQ community, for example. Things like that don't mean someone deserves to die, but being called a name? Sure.

On 10/5/2021 at 3:40 PM, Mr_Danger said:

Anyone who assaults someone unprovoked is usually a cunt. It’s just that the person being assaulted is a bigger cunt and it’s quite funny when horrible pricks experience a tiny percentage of the misfortune they’re happy to heap on to others.

On 10/5/2021 at 3:11 PM, 69MeDon said:

The pearl-clutching about the traffic cone assault is something to behold. All "political violence is never acceptable!" Fuck that. There are many, many people who had very real, very physical harm done to them by the sorts of policies the likes of IDS helps to push.

So, excuse me if I don't cry my eyes out for him.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:04 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Never been prouder of my city.

I don’t want to flame anything here but just over a week ago people on this board thought it was funny Ian Duncan Smith was assaulted. Any assault on a politician should be condemned. I know it’s a big leap from hitting someone with a cone to murdering someone but it can escalate from ‘funny’ to ‘deadly’ pretty quickly. 

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

I don’t want to flame anything here but just over a week ago people on this board thought it was funny Ian Duncan Smith was assaulted. Any assault on a politician should be condemned. I know it’s a big leap from hitting someone with a cone to murdering someone but it can escalate from ‘funny’ to ‘deadly’ pretty quickly. 

Even Farage having a McDonalds Milkshake chucked at him?