Big Old Walk

ReturnOfTheMack

• Paid Members

So after the interesting times that were 2020, lockdown and nearly dying from covid I have let my weight get totally shit again (hard to work out when you can barely breath when sat down).

I have decided to get back into something approaching a human shape, rather than the beach ball with limbs I currently am, and have decided to give myself a target. The Lyke Wake Walk next may. 41 miles over rough ground in under 24 hours. Currently 4000 steps a day leaves me tired, and I weighed near 20 stone last week (and I'm only 5'7!), so I have a lot of work to do.

So. That said, do any of you do walking challenges? Or even the Lyke Wake Walk itself? Any hints or advice?

I'm probably going to end up doing a charity thing for it too. Extra push for me.

• Paid Members

I am in the same boat so I will join you (albeit virtually)

I was really big and managed to get really fit, to the point i managed to climb Pen-Y-Fan (exactly two years ago today funnily enough). But pandemic hit and i'm back to square one.

From experience my advice would be to start with the couch to 5K app. Follow that and fill in any off days with a 45 minute walk. Once you get to the end of the couch to 5k course you will be so much fitter.

I would also say that 41 miles next May sounds a bit extreme (but good for you if you really want to push yourself). It may be worth looking at doing a 25km or even 50km version of one of the Ultra challenges Events Overview - Ultra Challenges I can see there is one in April. If your fitness really comes on leaps and bounds in the next few months you could try and walk the half marathon London Winter Walk in January

All the best

• Awards Moderator

Another vote for Couch to 5k, although that is geared around jogging as well as walking. But is a good motivator and keeps you in a routine. I started Couch to 5K 18 months ago and I've kept up running as a regular thing ever since. 

I am much fitter, but haven't lost loads of weight. Worth mentioning walking / running in of itself is not a great weight loss tool (unless you are literally immobile most days) unless combined with a calorie controlled diet. In fact I have to watch not to gorge myself after a run as my body wants to shovel carbs back in. "You can't outtrain a bad diet" as Stone Cold often says.

Not an expert by any means but i am wondering if something like swimming or cycling might be a better place to start?

Both are leas impactful on your knees/ hip, ankles etc and swimming especially will help you drop a few pounds initially and that might put you in a better position to train for your walk. Swimming will bring on your cardio in leaps and bounds as well as help your breathing.

Cycling will build up your leg muscles which will help you with your training. 

Also if you are starting from day one , it might be worth getting your posture/gait looked at. To make sure you are distributing your weight evenly on your feet.

i had a tendency to stand down on the ball of my right foot more then my left and it caused slight back issues for me. You can easily tell if you check old shoes and the sole of one is significantly more worn in specific spots than the other.  This may help you avoid soreness/injury in the long run. 

Edited by RancidPunx

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

I am much fitter, but haven't lost loads of weight. Worth mentioning walking / running in of itself is not a great weight loss tool (unless you are literally immobile most days) unless combined with a calorie controlled diet. In fact I have to watch not to gorge myself after a run as my body wants to shovel carbs back in. "You can't outtrain a bad diet" as Stone Cold often says.

Yeah I have started to diet too.

I am slowly building up my exercise, currently using a treadmill at home so I can stop when needed.

That’s the right way, go to your limit and then build it up. If you try to do too much before your body is ready then you risk injury and halting all progress. Don’t get hung up on weight loss, if you have a balanced diet and regular exercise it’ll come. I recommend a fitness watch of some sort, not so much for motivation more to track what you’ve done/are doing. Find activities you enjoy, much easier to keep at it.

I started at the end of January, small stuff playing active video games using a vr headset. I then started swimming in addition to that in April once the pools started opening up, and I’ve been sensible with my diet. I’ve lost just over 4 stone since then, almost halfway to my ‘target’ weight, and it’s been made a bit easier keeping to things I enjoy. Still have the odd unhealthy days but it’s in moderation and helps keep the morale up.

• Paid Members

Yeah I picked up one of those watch/band things to monitor steps, heatrate and blood oxygen. Between that and the actually tracking calories its making a difference as I'm becoming more aware again of my habits. I'm only aiming at losing between 1 and 2 pounds a week anyway.

PSA - gin and diet tonic is surprisingly low in calories.  ;)

Nice one, you’re definitely on the right track. Seeing rough calorie figures for your exercise helps too, it’s recommended to try and keep your daily intake deficit to around 1000 calories otherwise it’ll have a negative effect. On the days you exercise you need to ensure you increase your intake to stay in that range. That was hard to get used to, but it means you get a more regular weight loss allowing your body to adjust better as you go. Of course now I’ve spoken about it I’ll slack off and then by Christmas I’ll have put it all back on again….

I gave up the booze at the start of the year, not intending it to be permanent but I’ve not felt the desire to start again so it’s kind of ended up that way.

• Paid Members

Check out https://routeshuffle.com/. Give it a start point and a distance and it will randomly generate a circular route suitable for walking/running/cycling. It's a good way to keep yourself moving without getting bored by doing the same walk every time and you might see a bit of your neighbourhood you haven't seen before (for better or worse.)

One thing to note is that you give a distance as a whole mile but, if for example you set it to 2 miles, the route will be anywhere between 2.0 and 2.9 miles. So you may need to refresh it a few times to get one that works for you.

I’m old and have shit lungs and my body is breaking down. I can’t even walk half a mile without sounding like a wrestling fan at a Shimmer show. Long walks are out of the question but I do like driving out to somewhere scenic and s l o W l y strolling a bit and taking in the scenery. 

44 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’m old and have shit lungs and my body is breaking down. I can’t even walk half a mile without sounding like a wrestling fan at a Shimmer show. Long walks are out of the question but I do like driving out to somewhere scenic and s l o W l y strolling a bit and taking in the scenery. 

What age , height, weight are you if you don’t mind me asking ?