Moments in wrestling that gave you goosebumps

RedRooster

The Main Event from WWF Canadian Stampede 1997.

The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart, Jim Neidhart, Owen Hart, British Bulldog and Brian Pillman) against Stone Cold Steve Austin, Ken Shamrock, Goldust, and the Legion of Doom.

One of the few matches that genuinely gives me goosebumps multiple times and every time I watch it. The crowd are super hot and just listen to them get louder and louder as each Hart Foundation member is announced.

I watched this match in full before posting and it still has the same affect on me now.

Edited by LSM

For me it was this:

Some of it was definitely because I was a mere 13 years old, so was caught up in the hype and false believability of it all, but more that this was just huge. The WWF was holding one of their big shows in the UK, in a sold-out Wembley Stadium and it's hard to explain to anyone who wasn't around in that era, but wrestling was literally everywhere - in a pre-internet age where it wasn't just relegated to on-line, it was mainstream - in a big way!

Every shop stocked magazines, videos, t-shirts, sticker albums and every type of merch (Woolworths was just stocked full of WWF items) even TV shops like Radio Rentals ans Currys displayed WWF posters in their windows because it was such a selling tool for SKY TV. 

Mainstream TV, magazines and the newspapers featured wrestling stories and it was truly the biggest thing in the country - everyone was embracing it.

So to have this match, with the biggest British star and in the biggest British venue, was enough to give us all goosebumps. But when he won it was truly a 'Rocky' moment. 

But now in hindsight it gives me even more goosebumps knowing what came next. After the hype, publicity and being part of something so exciting - this was the end of the dream. That moment that the Bulldog held that belt up in front of a white hot crowd was not only the end of his journey - but for wrestling in this country too. It reached it's peak and after that there was only one way for it to go. Fast forward a year and you'd be hard-pressed to find a magazine in shops when it got to Summerslam '93.

So this match always gives me goosebumps for an era that I recall with such fondness. Ah - the joys of the innocence of youth.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The Reverend said:

The WWF was holding one of their big shows in the UK, in a sold-out Wembley Stadium and it's hard to explain to anyone who wasn't around in that era, but wrestling was literally everywhere - in a pre-internet age where it wasn't just relegated to on-line, it was mainstream - in a big way!

Every shop stocked magazines, videos, t-shirts, sticker albums and every type of merch (Woolworths was just stocked full of WWF items) even TV shops like Radio Rentals ans Currys displayed WWF posters in their windows because it was such a selling tool for SKY TV. 

I'm sure not everyone will agree, but I still feel that WWF Wrestling was more mainstream over here in 1992 compared to even the height of the Attitude Era. As you say, it was just everywhere.

Mind you, how it fell off a cliff so quickly is also remarkable. Just another craze to follow Ghostbusters and Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles.

Edited by garynysmon

1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

I'm sure not everyone will agree, but I still feel that WWF Wrestling was more mainstream over here in 1992 compared to even the height of the Attitude Era. As you say, it was just everywhere.

Mind you, how it fell off a cliff so quickly is also remarkable. Just another craze to follow Ghostbusters and Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles.

After late '92 I had never really noticed much WWF merch in the shops again until '99 when HMV stores were full of t shirts, calendars. mugs, keyrings, pint glasses and posters etc. Of course most of it was Stone Cold merch.

• Paid Members

Aries & Roode winning the TNA tag belts at an Impact taping in Manchester was pretty good just because of how into them the whole crowd was. 

Hogan coming out for what seems to have been his final match at a TNA house show in Manchester. I'm no Hogan fan, but the electricity in the air was palpable. 

At a Smackdown taping after Heyman and Heidenreich had cut a promo on the Undertaker, then they went to commercial. Purple smoke started coming down the aisle, the lights dimmed, Taker's music hit and out he came. Nobody had any idea he was going to be there.

Watching the first ECW One Night Stand live with some really good mates, especially when Sandman did his entrance at the end. 

18 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Watching the first ECW One Night Stand live with some really good mates, especially when Sandman did his entrance at the end. 

Always one of my go-to moments when I'm going on a Youtube or Daily Motion binge. Just perfect. Everything I love about live wrestling right there.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Hogan coming out for what seems to have been his final match at a TNA house show in Manchester. I'm no Hogan fan, but the electricity in the air was palpable. 

He wasn't even advertised until maybe a fortnight beforehand. I genuinely thought I'd never see Hogan live after being let down at a WWE Raw taping in Birmingham in 2005, only for him to appear in a clearly pre-taped interview on the Titantron but not fly over. 

So, as you say, the pop was unbelievable and its bonkers to think that its almost certain to be the last wresting match he participated in (complete with red trackie bottoms).

A lot of star power eh?

During the following year's TNA tour I had a photo taken with the big man thanks to the meet and greet. I was 10 years old again.

Screenshot 2021-08-01 at 13.42.12.png

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

@garynysmonBully Ray coming out in his Liverpool Top to rag on Man United and managing to unintentionally get the second biggest pop of the night was funny.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

@garynysmonBully Ray coming out in his Liverpool Top to rag on Man United and managing to unintentionally get the second biggest pop of the night was funny.

They never seem to realise that the distances between cities in Britain is nothing compared to the states!

21 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

How did TNA manage to pull this off?  Even WWE couldn't get Hogan to make an appearance at any UK houseshows when he was the champion during that long tour in April '93.

Or that televised UK Rampage in Sheffield

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Perry said:

How did TNA manage to pull this off?  Even WWE couldn't get Hogan to make an appearance at any UK houseshows when he was the champion during that long tour in April '93.

Or that televised UK Rampage in Sheffield

Hogan did the Summer 93 UK tour, after King of the Ring, despite not appearing on TV again after the Yokozuna squash.