The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

8 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Are you seriously suggesting that a shitty Carabo Cup win would change everything? Of course not.

Well, yes. Success is determined and marked by trophies. If you win the league, you played the best. If you won the cup, you played the best. 

It’s an indisputable fact that in the competition of professional football that the best teams over the course of a season are the ones that win the trophies. 

Best to watch/support/  is a different conversation but when the ultimate goal is to win the one that does that the most is the best. 

27 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Well, yes. Success is determined and marked by trophies. If you win the league, you played the best. If you won the cup, you played the best. 

I don't know about this, as to go back to Greece 2004, they were absolutely not the best team in that tournament.

But they won, so you're right.

26 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

It’s an indisputable fact that in the competition of professional football that the best teams over the course of a season are the ones that win the trophies. 

Best to watch/support/  is a different conversation but when the ultimate goal is to win the one that does that the most is the best. 

Perhaps it is the latter part that is more correct. The 16/17 Spurs team is definitely the best Spurs team I've ever seen in my life, and one of the best teams I've ever seen. (Check out @HasASpursFan on Twitter to see just how much we bang on about this)

I don't buy into the "that team deserved a trophy" theory as I don't think that's valid, and I also think it's never black and white.

Take that Liverpool team that came 2nd the season before they won it. I reckon they were much the better team than City and would've won it if it wasnt for John Stones toe, so maybe the best team doesn't always win?

Anyway, let's all laugh at Arsenal*

*Cut to 7 30pm and Villa 3-1 Spurs

59 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I think that's absolute bollocks and pure "LOL!!! Trophy cabinet though!!!!" way of looking at it.

Are you seriously suggesting that a shitty Carabo Cup win would change everything? Of course not.

I will never forget Rovers beating Spurs for that "shitty cup" in 2002. Was at Cardiff with my old man. One of the best days of my life.

Winning stuff is nice. 

40 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I will never forget Rovers beating Spurs for that "shitty cup" in 2002. Was at Cardiff with my old man. One of the best days of my life.

Winning stuff is nice. 

Yeah I was there. I remember having to stand all the way on the train from Cardiff to Reading, miserable as sin.

I'm sure it was one of the best days of your life, as was 2008 when Spurs beat Chelsea.

Sorry to denigrate the Carabao Cup, where the draws for the next rounds have in recent seasons taken place in Morrisons stores and at 5am on Thai TV. The competition is massively devalued these days.

1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Take that Liverpool team that came 2nd the season before they won it. I reckon they were much the better team than City and would've won it if it wasnt for John Stones toe, so maybe the best team doesn't always win?

Much like when $tevie Me slipped, that was one moment in one game out of 38 games. You can’t define a season long points and goals tally by a few seconds. Dropping “Easy” points in a season has more of an impact as you had 90 minutes to sort it out. 

Except when the FA conspired against Liverpool, because it’s never Snitsky FCs fault. 

9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Yeah I was there. I remember having to stand all the way on the train from Cardiff to Reading, miserable as sin.

I'm sure it was one of the best days of your life, as was 2008 when Spurs beat Chelsea.

Sorry to denigrate the Carabao Cup, where the draws for the next rounds have in recent seasons taken place in Morrisons stores and at 5am on Thai TV. The competition is massively devalued these days.

I blame Manchester City for that. 

Not sure if actually true but fun to blame them for ruining English football.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Much like when $tevie Me slipped, that was one moment in one game out of 38 games. You can’t define a season long points and goals tally by a few seconds. Dropping “Easy” points in a season has more of an impact as you had 90 minutes to sort it out. 

Except when the FA conspired against Liverpool, because it’s never Snitsky FCs fault. 

Yeah I think there's a big difference between winning a cup, which can be fluked, and winning a league which can't really. If it's not for Stevie Gs slip and all the other points they dropped, Liverpool win the league.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Winning stuff is nice. 

I worked in my mum's pub while she and my Stepdad went to the final on a coach. It was a heck of a night when they got back. 

I remember the atmosphere in Blackburn when we went out for a drive immediately after they won the Premier league as well. What a drive that was. 

35 minutes ago, Duke said:

Yeah I think there's a big difference between winning a cup, which can be fluked, and winning a league which can't really. If it's not for Stevie Gs slip and all the other points they dropped, Liverpool win the league.

I’m not sure winning a cup is a fluke. Winning an individual game can be but not six or seven. 

34 minutes ago, Duke said:

I for one give full credit to Frankie’s boys and the spirit of Crystanbul. 

• Paid Members

Steve Cooper I love you.

From the worst ever start to a season for Forest (7 games in, we were rock bottom of the Championship with just a single point to our name) to third in the league. That's 63 points from 31 games since Chris Hughton was booted out and big sexy took charge. Man's a magician that has the red side of the city buzzing.

FCGAdgKWYAA0DlH.jpg_large.jpg

Edited by Wretch

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’m not sure winning a cup is a fluke. Winning an individual game can be but not six or seven. 

You can get fluky circumstances in a cup though. Get the better side of a draw, you win a game against the run of play, two favourites have to play each other, one of the favourite screws up once against inferior opposition. You can get much flukier in a cup. Chelsea were definitely not the best team in the champions League 2012 for eg.

That said, a fluke is one of the most common fish in the ocean. So if you go fishing for a fluke, you just might catch one.