The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

3 minutes ago, mim731 said:

It's tricky because they should really only be having to answer on footballing matters, but if you work for a Chelsea (or indeed a City or a Newcastle whose owners are subject to certain scrutiny in that way) as the face of the club, it's inevitable that you'll be asked such questions as part of your duties because you are in a position to give a statement in a way the board members have insulated themselves from having to. 

Also by virtue of their ownership situation, the money they have gives them an advantage in the competitions they are in. It can be seen as a legitimate footballing question.

1 minute ago, mim731 said:

You're absolutely right, it should be a question for the board, but the board members aren't in the press conferences. As such surely it's implied that the manager is speaking on their behalf. It's tricky because they should really only be having to answer on footballing matters, but if you work for a Chelsea (or indeed a City or a Newcastle whose owners are subject to certain scrutiny in that way) as the face of the club, it's inevitable that you'll be asked such questions as part of your duties because you are in a position to give a statement in a way the board members have insulated themselves from having to. 

Indeed, but nobody is asking Tuchel et al about quarterly forecasts, dividend payments or exploring revenue streams. His job is to manage the team and not the business. Those are questions for those who run the business. 

I think it’s fair to ask his opinion on Russia invading Ukraine but it’s fair for him not to answer. Just like if Eddie Howe is asked about the 81 beheadings that Saudi Arabia did this week he doesn’t have to answer. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Factotum said:

Yes and that was shameful. There have been journalists digging into this, but we all know the legal threats Roman has been wielding over people who have dug in all these years, Its all out there. I think we broadly agree on this, I just think that someone like Tuchel cannot plead ignorance on it.

Agree on the Howe point

And I don't think he is. I think he's doing the best he can be expected to be doing considering there seems to be a massive wall between him and the people with actual knowledge of the situation. He's not doing a Howe or a Moyes and saying "I'm just a football man, dunno". He's trying to speak into the situation as best he can, but he's not been prepared for it.

I'm definitely not arguing that journalists should think "well Bruce Buck isn't here so we won't ask the  questions", it's their job to ask. It just shouldn't be Tuchel's job to answer. There's no reason Petr Cech or someone even higher up couldn't sit in one of these conferences and answer questions, they're hardly going to be asked anything they won't see coming. But they won't, because that's not how Chelsea do things. And that's pathetic.

2 hours ago, Duke said:

club is going to, almost certainly, be more Spurs than City

*laughing/crying child gif* True. Chelsea could be put into administration, come back through the leagues and probably still win a trophy before we do.

On the Eddie Howe point, he looks like a copper, so no wonder he refuses to give a straight answer. 

• Paid Members

Superb post @Duke. I don't know how the Chelsea fans on here are such a stark contrast to almost those I've ever experienced in real life (and certainly all on social media, but in fairness that is the same with all clubs), but long may it continue.

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Absolutely. I’m wondering where the line is drawn. I think asking the manager football related questions is a journalists job, such as asking how sanctions will affect preparation and whatnot. I don’t think it’s on the manager to discuss the reasons for the sanctions. That’s for the board. 

They discussed this on one of the recent Guardian football podcasts. I think Tuchel has handled himself very well over the past couple of weeks and hasn't shied away from questions. Eddie Howe on the other hand, hasn't looked good at all. I get there must be a line somewhere, but the problem is that the manager is the public facing figure for the club. Tuchel knows this, Howe either doesn't appreciate this or he doesn't care.

Amanda Staveley doesn't give press conferences before and after each Newcastle match and apparently only gives interviews to one journalist of her choosing, who conveniently doesn't press her over the 81 Saudi executions. Rightly or wrongly, the press are going to direct those questions to the only (or most senior, if you include players) employee of the club. Howe knew these questions would be part and parcel of the job. Even if they know they aren't going to get a response or a soundbite from Howe on the matter, directing the questions to him is at least keeping the story out there rather than not asking anyone and the concerns quietly go away. If they had access to the board, they'd definitely aim those questions to them, but they will sit behind Howe to take the flak.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Honestly going to get sick, Frankie. 

Never seen the likes of this evening. Picked the wrong game to go over to. 

She's going to have you sleeping on the sofa for a month isn't she. Worse than the time she caught you crying whilst watching One Night In Turin.

• Paid Members

7 hours ago, PunkStep said:

She's going to have you sleeping on the sofa for a month isn't she. Worse than the time she caught you crying whilst watching One Night In Turin.

Not in the best shape with herself this morning, Brewster, to be honest. 

The poor wee Westie we have - Freddie - was upturned off the sofa beside me last night.

He usually sits up beside us and I think he sensed I was depressed about it all, so he had half himself resting on my thigh and then Iwobi done that, I forgot he was there, and he flew head over arse off the edge of the sofa and she hears me roar, runs in from the kitchen and sees me passionately whipping a tea towel repeatedly off the sitting room table as Freddie (the dog) is baffled and wound up, doing shuttles and skidding across the floor. 

I was told the child is in bed, "calm fucking down you child", to grow up and give Freddie a cuddle, a bit of ham and come to bed when I was ready. 

18 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Just hope that joke of a club Watford go down.

I reckon they should put in place a rule where if you go down, you can't return for at least 2 seasons. 

We need to stop (Redknapp voice) your Norwiches, your Watfords, your Fulhams for a few years.