Turning 40

John Matrix

• Paid Members

I’ll be 40 years old in August.  

No idea how that happened, or how I’ve lasted this long to be honest.

A few years ago, I set my heart on visiting the Schwarzenegger museum in Austria, but with COVID still well and truly kicking, that feels like something that can wait.

Then, earlier this week, someone told me that Martin Kove was booked for the Liverpool Comic Con in November, and a few days later his son Jesse contacted me on Instagram to say he was travelling there too, and that it’d be great to meet up.

They've since announce Mike Barnes (KK3) Bobby, Darryl Vidal and now Kyler from Cobra Kai, and so whilst I’ve never been overly into the idea of conventions and I think the queuing alone will finish me off, I’m seriously considering going - the opportunity to hand over some of my printed artwork to the cast seems too big to miss out on.

Now I don’t know about you lot, but if you are going to travel several hours to visit Liverpool, there’s surely only one other thing you could ever possibly want to do...that’s right, go for a pint with 2 x Gladiators champion Eunice Huthart.

So yeah, since it’s all likely to go rapidly downhill from here, figured I may as well mark the occasion in style eh?

Anyone got any exciting tales about life after 40 they’d like to cheer me up by sharing?!

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

I started buying premium white goods after 40.  My old Hotpoint I could hear coming home from work if it was on a spin.  I can be making a cuppa and not know that the Bosch is on.

I love this mate.  You know what my luxury item is these days...

Drawstring bin-bags.  Ooh yes!  

25 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

I’ll be 40 years old in August.  

No idea how that happened, or how I’ve lasted this long to be honest.

A few years ago, I set my heart on visiting the Schwarzenegger museum in Austria, but with COVID still well and truly kicking, that feels like something that can wait.

You're gonna hate this, but I was lucky enough to tick that one off the list on my 27th birthday. And 40 is still 3 and a half years away for me. 

7 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

I love this mate.  You know what my luxury item is these days...

Drawstring bin-bags.  Ooh yes!  

Drawstring wheelie bin bags in the regular sized bin are the best. No matter how hard the twats (rest of family) who don’t have to take the bins out try they can never overfill them!

• Paid Members
Just now, Mr_Danger said:

Drawstring wheelie bin bags in the regular sized bin are the best. No matter how hard the twats (rest of family) who don’t have to take the bins out try they can never overfill them!

The struggle is real my man.

”Just doing some shopping, what size bin bags do we need again?”

”Fif-ahem Eighty Litre should be big enough babe”

• Paid Members

That’s awesome all round, @John Matrix! Really chuffed for you.

I’ve had a similar thing over the last couple of months in relation to Band of Brothers. I’m currently involved in a project called We Happy Few 506 where we put on Zoom interviews with the cast and crew as it’s the 20th anniversary of it first airing.

It’s hosted by Matthew Leitch (who played Talbert) with me and 2 others in the background. It’s amazing and very surreal to be talking to all the actors, sharing emails and even WhatsApping with Scott Grimes.

We’ve also had Dexter Fletcher and Marc Warren on which was brilliant. This Saturday we’ve got Michael Cudlitz on which is going to be fantastic and I might even be going to the set of Masters of the Air at some point soon to catch up with one of the writers. It’s very surreal.

Edited by Monkee

That sounds amazing @Monkee and @John Matrix.  I can't believe Eunice Huthart said yes to a drink. She is the only Gladiators winner I actually remember.

I'm 38 next week, 40 seems scarily close. Can't quite believe how old I am, internally I still don't feel like a proper adult. Life is fairly good though so no complaints, I hope it's even better by 40!

I’m 40 two weeks today! Can’t believe it- certainly not where I expected to be at 40 (single, no kids, still spend most of my disposable income on wrestling yada yada).

My good friend was also 40 this month and we’re fortunate enough to be able to take a domestic trip, though I doubt I’ll be lucky enough to have a pint with Eunice, that’s amazing!!

I turned 40 two years ago. After a messy split I decided to do the one thing I’ve wanted to do for years. So on the eve of my 40th, literally the day before, I did my CBT. 4 days later I rode out of the showroom on the actual bike I did the training on , as it had been traded in by the bike school. This week I completed my theory and am awaiting dates for my direct access to get my full license. So my 40th started with a proper midlife crisis 🤣

and recently I’ve noticed I’ve been going for sweatshirts and smarter jumpers instead of hoodies too. 🤔

Yeah it's definitely a decent con. Just depends on whether people want to be going in the current climate or not. I can see both sides, and personally I've given up on conventions for a while, but I'm sure the big ones going ahead this year will do what they can to make everyone feel safe and comfortable. I just don't think I'd enjoy it as much as I'd want to.

For my 40th my wife took me to London for the weekend (we lived in rural Devon so this is actually a lot grander than it sounds).

She'd bought tickets for the Legally Blonde musical and also went to watch a Richard Herring show, along with all the usual tourist stuff.

The only downside to the weekend was that Mrs Pistol was feeling quite unwell for the whole time and  she told me she thought it might have been the flu (or swine flu which was a thing at the time)

A few weeks later the actual reason became apparent and 10 years later I'm now 50 and I've just finished another school run.

Not the worst birthday present. 

• Moderators

I turned 40 last year and honestly the pandemic was a god send at that point. I generally dislike my birthday and hate all the attention and peoples insistence that you do something BIG - that just gets turned up to another level when you hit a "milestone" like 40.

So the fact that I got to just chill on a beach and have a relaxing day was amazing.