British MPs' report on UK wrestling

I remain optimistic but sceptical. 

APPG affiliate Rhia O Reilly liked and endorsed videos featuring Sid Scala not too long ago, essentially saying she believed him and discrediting Mariah May, which didn't go down in certain circles and raised concerns about conflicts of interest and personal vendettas etc which the APPG was meant to stop.

I guess we shall see. 

• Paid Members

It's almost as if some multibillion dollar companies are coming to the UK soon and they're looking to make some money out of it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It's almost as if some multibillion dollar companies are coming to the UK soon and they're looking to make some money out of it.

So you think that if there is some sort of licensing of wrestling in this country you think AEW and WWE should be exempt? 

If there is to be meaningful regulation of wrestling, and there won't be, but if there is it needs to be top down as there are cunts at every level of wrestling. 

• Paid Members

No, I'm saying if AEW & WWE weren't coming over they wouldn't be doing this at all

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

No, I'm saying if AEW & WWE weren't coming over they wouldn't be doing this at all

Couldn't disagree more, if they wanted to squeeze money out of them they'd have been doing it years ago. WWE also stopped running some US states for TV and PPV because of taxes until they were given an exception so if they felt "ripped off" they'd just run elsewhere and cut their nose.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

This was booked well before AEW's show was announced, for the record.

For the most part I can take or leave the APPG, but the session on concussions is being run by academics at Loughborough University, and is extremely worthwhile and anything but a grift, regardless of whatever the APPG themselves hope to get out of it.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Something has been in the pipeline for a while and if AEW and WWE coming over for big shows has hastened it along then I'm all for that. If this is going to happen then a big splash needs to be made. There is no point in launching something like this at Syston Working Men's Club and expecting any sort of coverage. If you can do it at Wembley or the O2 then that's great. 

What you see as a negative cash grab UKDoubleJ I see as a positive cash grab. I'd love to see the proper regulation of wrestling in this country instead of anyone with 200 quid and card of Britwres shitarses rocking up to a scout hut on a Friday night toj ump off ladders for 7 people. 

• Paid Members

At the very least I doubt it would have been getting as much coverage as it has been. I agree that it needs to be done, but I don't trust the people in charge (cross party or otherwise) to act in the interests of anybody but their own wallets' wellbeing. I will gladly admit I'm wrong if it ends up not being the case, but I can see this whole debate running until after the shows have happened, and then suddenly ending up on the back burner again. I know, I'm very cynical.

Apart from the study at Loughborough University.That'll still happen. I'm totally behind it all.

16 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Something has been in the pipeline for a while and if AEW and WWE coming over for big shows has hastened it along then I'm all for that. If this is going to happen then a big splash needs to be made. There is no point in launching something like this at Syston Working Men's Club and expecting any sort of coverage. If you can do it at Wembley or the O2 then that's great. 

What you see as a negative cash grab UKDoubleJ I see as a positive cash grab. I'd love to see the proper regulation of wrestling in this country instead of anyone with 200 quid and card of Britwres shitarses rocking up to a scout hut on a Friday night toj ump off ladders for 7 people. 

Problem is, that'll still go on and can you see the local council or police bothering to stop something like this? I can't see them wasting their time on it.

I think what'll happen is they will pay a lot of lip service to 'banning unlicensed events' but never actually outright do it. 

• Paid Members

Bear in mind this is a debate (in Westminster Hall rather than the chamber of the Commons) on the general topic. There's no proposed legislation and no suggestion the government would back any legislation. Even if they have this debate and all conclude "something needs to be done", given where this falls in the pecking order, the chances of anything getting passed into law before the next election would be minimal to say the least.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Big'Olympic_Hero'Pete said:

Problem is, that'll still go on and can you see the local council or police bothering to stop something like this? I can't see them wasting their time on it.

I think what'll happen is they will pay a lot of lip service to 'banning unlicensed events' but never actually outright do it. 

Local councils pay attention to lots of little stuff that you wouldn't realise was happening unless you were part of it. My brother helps to run a remote controlled vehicle racing club. There's about 100 people in it and they meet up every couple of weeks to race. All of the stewards and officials have to have a DBS and the club has to have insurance. They meet at a local sports club and use the hall for indoor racing and the field for outdoor. They were checked 4 times last year that everything was in order. If they can be bothered to check that then they can be bothered to check wrestling if any legislation gets passed, which it won't.