Great PPV Terrible Match

Project Nim

14 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Love Royal Rumble 2000 but Outlaws and Acolytes was a massive bore.

Must have seen the 2000 Rumble a hundred times and can't even remember this match happening.

13 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

It was only two and a half minutes long, surely it wasn'tĀ thatĀ bad?

That explains it.Ā 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

It wasn't a blade job. It was a legit cut. Think he needed a shit load of stitches. There's no way WWE would book a blade job in an opening tag match.

I never twigged this, or thought it odd that a heel bled as a consequence of the finish in a match without real hatred that was going to lead to nothing. Itā€™s an oddly booked match anyway, with E&C cheating to beat a heel team (popular finish, not helping towards their turn) and Pac/Dog getting a title shot after losing at Mania. If they needed fresh opponents after too mania matches with the Hardys and Dudleys they could have put Too Cool (who DID win at Mania) in the same spot with the same finish to much better and effect, which could have played in later in the year when Scotty and Sexay (briefly) relieved the Canadian jokers of the belts. And while we know long term planning didnā€™t happen a great deal in the fast-moving Attitude Era, Iā€™m sure with the noise Too Cool were generating at the time, the writers must have known theyā€™d get a turn fairly soon.

Although, having written all that, I just remembered that Brian was injured and thatā€™s why Scotty was feuding with Dean Malenko, but itā€™s a nice ā€œwhat might have happenedā€ even if weā€™d have missed out on that top rope brainbuster finish.

That E&C/Pac and Dogg match is great. Probably the best straight tag match Road Dogg ever got.Ā 

The correct answer for Backlash 2000 is the APA/Bossman & Buchanan match. Absolutely average an on that PPV is massively stood out.

What a PPV though.Ā 

10 hours ago, Version1.0 said:

Mark Henry vs Big Show

Totally disagree with you classifying this as an ā€˜absoluteĀ didā€™ - even watching it back now, itā€™s a fun big man match. I always thought Henry and Show worked well together.Ā 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members

Taz vs Big Bossman at No Way Out 2000. About 90 seconds long and ends on a DQ when Bossman hits him with his night stick. Annoyingly pointless and shit.

Considering Taz had that big debut only one month prior it was an incredible fall from grace.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Taz vs Big Bossman at No Way Out 2000. About 90 seconds long and ends on a DQ when Bossman hits him with his night stick. Annoyingly pointless and shit.

Considering Taz had that big debut only one month prior it was an incredible fall from grace.

Weā€™d barely recovered from Mark Henry v Viscera!

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Perry said:

Owen V Skinner and Earthquake V Adam Bomb have to be the most pointless singles matches at a WrestleMania

Earthquake v Adam Bomb definitely wasnā€™t the worst match on that show, there were plenty that were boring or rubbish. And the point was it reminded people Quake could be absolutely devastating, because heā€™d soon be on the road with Yokozuna.

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Earthquake v Adam Bomb definitely wasnā€™t the worst match on that show, there were plenty that were boring or rubbish. And the point was it reminded people Quake could be absolutely devastating, because heā€™d soon be on the road with Yokozuna.

Speaking of that, how much of a disappointment was Savage V Crush?Ā  It was a major let down considering it had 5 months of build up. Also turned out to be Randy's last match on PPV with them. Still Mania 10 gave us that cracker between Bret and Owen.Ā 

4 minutes ago, AshC said:

It was originally set to be Quake vs Borga,Ā which begs the question, would they have squashed Borga in a minute after he'd ended Tatanka's mighty unbeaten run?

Puzzles me how that was meant to be Borga, he hadn't even been on TV for months prior. He was also meant to face Tatanka at the Rumble that year. Surely by WrestleMania they knew he wasn't going to return

Just now, Perry said:

Puzzles me how that was meant to be Borga, he hadn't even been on TV for months prior. He was also meant to face Tatanka at the Rumble that year. Surely by WrestleMania they knew he wasn't going to return

Broke an ankle or something against Rick Steiner at MSG,Ā just before the Rumble.

Can't recall if the Borga/Quake match was promoted as a post-return match or if it was all set up months in advance, for magazines, etc.

Borga/Earthquake maybe got a week of match graphics.Ā 

Really don't think matches that quick apply for this. If your offended by a card that also has a 15 second squash its hardly shit.Ā 

Beverleys/Bushwhackers have to take it though. Its like Heenan/Monsoon are pissing about but almost slower. Like Heenan is literally hashing out a joke writing session with Monsoon and occasionally saying 'Can I find out number Flair has pleaseeee?' to make us think they're trying.Ā 

Gorilla also knew exactly what that sign said during the Beverleys entrance. You know the one.Ā 

Edited by Chili

• Paid Members

Thereā€™s a certain logic in Earthquake going over Borga if heā€™s going to work Yoko later. But I doubt it would have been a squash.

The playground made me think of something that somebody tried to convince me of but fairly recently when it comes to Mania X. That on the table at one point was for The Undertaker to actually win the belt at the Rumble only to lose it to Borga on TV before going for his time off, to make Borga into the ultimate baddie to lose the belt to Luger at Mania X. Because that would make more sense than him just beating Yokozuna, yeah? What a load of bollocks.