Great PPV Terrible Match

Project Nim

Apologies if it’s been done before. What are the awful matches you’ve seen in an otherwise superb event?

Currently rewatching Rumble 92 with its legendary main event however there is a match between Bushwhackers and the Beverly Brothers that is a permanent stall. It goes on and on and on. Plus Jameson. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, that particular 14 minutes is interminable. I’ve been quoted in the past as saying the match is still going on. Offensively boring.

From the same time period, Hammer Valentine vs IRS is a total piss break in SummerSlam 91.

• Paid Members

There must be a decade's worth of WWE "Divas" matches that drag down every good PPV. It's thankfully short but Chyna v Ivory, like every Chyna match, is a load of shit at Mania 17.

Great American Bash 96 was a great show but Quake and Bossman is crap. Is it the next month they have the pole match where Jimmy Hart has to climb because neither can?

Love Royal Rumble 2000 but Outlaws and Acolytes was a massive bore.

One Night Stand was a brilliant,  brilliant show at the point where I'd fallen out of love with wrestling for the first time in my life, really, but Benoit and Guerrero was a huuuuuge disappointment. Not on the level of Bushwackers/Beverleys, of course, but still really bad. 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Great American Bash 96 was a great show but Quake and Bossman is crap. Is it the next month they have the pole match where Jimmy Hart has to climb because neither can?

It is. To retrieve a sock of coins, no less. Doesn’t qualify for this thread really, coming on the same card as Dallas Page vs Hacksaw Duggan, and Mongo.

That Bushwackers/Beverleys match was great just for Bobby Heenan slagging off Jamison and the Bushwackers the entire time. Also when the Genius slapped Jamison I still laugh at that. ‘He hitted me, he hitted me real hard’ ‘he didn’t hit you hard enough you’re still breathing’ 😂

Christian and Edge vs Road Dogg and X-Pac - Backlash 2000.

On a otherwise memorable and solid card it still featured Bossman/Bull Buchanan vs APA, T&A vs Dudley Boyz but those still served a purpose/had a moment.

C&E vs DX did not, it was a waste of all of their talents and C&E coming off their big win at Wrestlemania produced a damp squib. Nothing clicked, it was sloppy and the ending was flat for a sneaky/cheat win. The match was most notable for Channel 4 blurring out the shit blade job X-Pac did. 

Backlash 2000 was a banger of a PPV though so it's easy to forget. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Rule One said:

The match was most notable for Channel 4 blurring out the shit blade job X-Pac did. 

It wasn't a blade job. It was a legit cut. Think he needed a shit load of stitches. There's no way WWE would book a blade job in an opening tag match.

10 hours ago, The King Of Swing said:

Good pick. 

Wasn't it rumored that Guerrero went into that match in a foul mood about something?

Yeah, he'd just done the big heel turn on Rey, and didn't think he should lose or play into the one night nostalgia and babyface himself in any way. Then his busted his nose which pissed him off more. They had a very underwhelming match as Eddie was starting to struggle around that time, and you can see it in Chris and Eddie's faces after the match. Eddie was so mad he grabbed his bag and left, and didn't stay for the show closing brawl he was supposed to be part of.