Greatest Album Of All Time

neil

• Moderators

Over in the youtube/Millard shill thread I posted about Mike Reid's magical Chantilly Lace. I was doing some google sleuthing about what other numbers Mike had done and discovered the greatest album of all time, which as we all know are compilations.

Feast your eyes on this https://www.discogs.com/Various-You-Are-Awful-But-We-Like-You/release/9929869 - packed with 50 of your favourite celebs dalliances with the music world.

I foolishly decided to review all 50 tracks on this. Scroll down to here to start.

Edited by neil

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, neil said:

I'm strongly considering doing a review of all 50 tracks on this greatest album of all time

Alright fuck it, lets do this.

Track 1 - You're The One I Want By Arthur Mullard & Hylda Baker

The compilation starts off with this upbeat number, a cover of the Grease classic "You're The One That I Want". Arthur Mullard is someone who's face I recognize and I would've said was in "Carry On..." movie but apparantely that is totally wrong. According to wikipedia he was known for being a cockney fella and star of "Romany Jones" which I have no recollection of. Wikipedia also informs me that he committed acts of domestic violence and sexual assault - so we're off to a great start here. I've absolutely no idea who Hylda Baker is at all.

Anyway, the above video features them dressed up in terrible wigs with Hylda looking like a geriatric Lauren Harries. The singing is attrocias, but maybe that was on purpose for the laughs, who knows.

In searching for this record I found a LIVE performance on TOTP as this single reached 22 on the charts. The performance is pure karaoke at a time when when no-one had any clue what karaoke was. Enjoy:

7 minutes ago, neil said:

In searching for this record I found a LIVE performance on TOTP as this single reached 22 on the charts. The performance is pure karaoke at a time when when no-one had any clue what karaoke was. Enjoy:

Usually, at the time this was out, a TOTP appearance pretty much guaranteed you a ride up the charts. This appearance tanked future sales and it disappeared. Until now. 

Just now, neil said:

The compilation starts off with this upbeat number, a cover of the Grease classic "You're The One That I Want". Arthur Mullard is someone who's face I recognize and I would've said was in "Carry On..." movie but apparantely that is totally wrong. According to wikipedia he was known for being a cockney fella and star of "Romany Jones" which I have no recollection of. Wikipedia also informs me that he committed acts of domestic violence and sexual assault - so we're off to a great start here. I've absolutely no idea who Hylda Baker is at all.

Holiday on the Buses maybe?  A firm ITV3 favourite which he shows up in.  That's the only thing I can remember ever having seen him in.

• Moderators

Track 2 - "Prisencolinensinaincuisol (Freezin' Cold In 89 Twoso)" by Mike Reid

Already mentioned above before I had the daft idea of reviewing all of these. This is a cover version of sorts by Mike, dropped as a single in 1974. As @BomberPatsaid this choice of cover is bonkers. Prisencolinensinainciusol is a gibberish song done by italian singer Adriano Celentano and came out just 2 years earlier in 72. The original was composed to sound to Italians like someone singing english in an American accent, here's the original:

Not joking here though, this is a pretty catchy song. It actually reminds me of Can of all bands. Yes, it's 2021 and I'm comparing a Mike Reid song to Can. Mike covers it pretty straight but seemingly translates it from Italian sounding English to just English gibberish. Including turning the title into "Freezing Cold In 89 Two So". Mike does adds some of his own touches such as a "that's triffic" around 1:55.

I'd honestly love to get more information on the background of how this song came to be. It's delightfully strange.

Edited by neil

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

No mention of Burt Ward's Boy Wonder I Love You / Orange Coloured Sky? I can only assume they're saving that for volume 2.

Not a British comedian of the 60s/70s.

Probably why Amtosphere by Russ Abbott didn't make it as it was an 80s release.