Greatest Album Of All Time

neil

• Moderators

Track 3 - "Ecstasy" by Oliver Reed

Next up is everyones favourite pissed up actor Oliver Reed. This is a b-side to 45 put out in 1962. Produced by none other than renowned producer/murderer Phil Spector. The vocals on this once again aligns to the club singer style - this sounds nothing like Oliver Reed. It sounds nothing like the a-side either. A nice little tune though.

Reed's music career didn't really go too far, had a single before and after this one in the 60s, before later doing an awful version of Wild Thing with the Troggs where him and Alex Higgins just seemed to be pissed up making random noises.

• Paid Members
On 2/14/2021 at 2:15 PM, neil said:

Track 2 - "Prisencolinensinaincuisol (Freezin' Cold In 89 Twoso)" by Mike Reid

It actually reminds me of Can of all bands. Yes, it's 2021 and I'm comparing a Mike Reid song to Can. M

That was actually my first thought on hearing the original a couple of years back; the intro sounds like it wouldn't be out of place on a Krautrock compilation. I could easily see it sitting alongside Hallogallo by Neu!

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, neil said:

Track 3 - "Ecstasy" by Oliver Reed

Next up is everyones favourite pissed up actor Oliver Reed. This is a b-side to 45 put out in 1962. Produced by none other than renowned producer/murderer Phil Spector. The vocals on this once again aligns to the club singer style - this sounds nothing like Oliver Reed. It sounds nothing like the a-side either. A nice little tune though.

Not produced by Spector it was originally by Ben E King and written in the Brill Building but definitely British produced and on the Decca label. 

• Moderators

^^ Learn something new everyday don't you.

Track 4 - "Dance With Me" by Reginald Bosanquet

I looked at the listing of this and thought to myself, who the fuck is Reginald Bosanquet? Turns out he was the anchor for News At Ten from 67 to 79, prior to my birth so fair play to me for not knowing who the fuck he is. A fun fact, Reginald, Reggie to his mates, was the son of cricketer Bernard Bosanquet who invented the googly. Apparently Reggie liked a tipple and had the nicknames "Reginald Beaujolais" and "Reginald Boozalot" - nice.

This single came out in 1980 and is disco funk with spoken word lyrics over it by Reggie. Song comes off like a William Shatner number or if you want to make a music snob angry, a posh Mark E Smith.

Not bad, not great.

• Moderators

Track 5 - "I Like Birds" by Terry Scott

Waaaaaheyyyy a song for the the lads this. Carry On/Terry & June star Terry Scott drops his second single here in 1966, not sure if this is a double A-side or this is the B-side but on the other side of this is Juanita Banana which I'll let you look up on youtube if you want.

This song is ostensibly about a chap who enjoys ornithology, but if the massive "wink wink/nod nod" aren't enough to make it clear the loud PHHHOARRRR 25 seconds in gives it away. Terry fucking loves birds...birds...BIRDS. He's worked himself into a frothy lather just thinking about them birds.

Interestingly there is another song on this compilation featuring June Whitfield - although it isn't called "I like cocks" so I don't know what it will be about.

• Moderators

Track 6 - "Where Will You Be" by Sue Nicholls

Initially this was another "who?" one for me, but on further research its a familiar face, none other than Audrey Roberts from Corrie ain't it:

0_Coronation-Street-Audrey-360x228.jpg

But this song didn't come from her success on Corrie (which I always hated as a soap tbh), but on Crossroads! It came out in 68. This song is the definition of maudlin, slow, sappy, dull as shit. Give me "I like birds" over this any day.

• Moderators

Track 7 - "My Little Tune" by Max Wall

Fucking hell, only done 7 of these. This was a horrible idea.

Max Wall is one of those old timey physical comedy chaps, the type my Nan would call "good wholesome fun". If you're into Lee Evans then you'll probably lap this shite up. Here's him doing a routine where the german audience just sitting in silence at it, a brutal watch:

Looks like he pongs don't he.

This is the closest thing I can find to this track, I have no idea if it is him or the actual song, and its shit

• Moderators

Track 8 - "Get Me to the Church On Time" by Max Bygraves

Max Bygraves! Now we're fucking talking. I gotta be honest lads, the last couple songs here really sapped my energy for this "project", but this brings me right back into it. Not to hark on my Nan again, but boy did she love ol' Max. My memories of Bygraves is that he'd pop up on those variety shows and do a medley of war time songs that would pop the OAPs in the back.

I feel like this video nicely sums up Max

There he is, having a pint in "The African Tavern" and you best believe there ain't a single african looking fella in there, asking if the barmaid remembers the war and Churchill, bloody kids today eh? Max cracks a joke about getting his change back then moans about the price of booze, this is what brexit was all about weren't it? Control over the cost of a pint, bringing back knees up in the pub, singing songs about sending the germans packing (banned by the bloody libs). As Max says, thats why we won the war, the germans only had one song didn't they and we had more? Bloody krauts, we fucking brexited them right up Hitlers arse didn't we? Cor, inject the union jack colours surging up my veins!! Hang on a minute tho, I don't see any poppies in this video? Fucking disgusting, show some respect.

Anyway that video above is a great laugh, Max leads the pub through "Run Rabbit Run", lots of shots of Doris and Bill joining in. Honestly, this brings me back to being a kid and being dragged into the pub with the family, being told to nurse a room temperature coke for 3 hours, begging for a quid to spend on the fruit machine and then having my Grandad tell me "lost that quick didn't ya" and generally feeling like I really would die of boredom.

But the song we're covering here is...and I think its this at least:

A disco version of "Get Me To The Church On Time"....nice. Plenty of cockney swagger over those disco rhythms. This song is a banger. Its possible that whats on the compilation album isn't this disco version, but I can't be fucked trying to figure that out and like I said, Bygraves Does Disco is where its at.

• Paid Members

I’ve had that bloody Prisencolinensinainciusol stuck in my head for days. I’d never heard of it before this thread and now I’m spelling it off by heart. At least I think that’s how you spell it, let me go listen again.