Greatest Album Of All Time

neil

• Moderators

Track 14 - "Living Doll" by Lionel Bart

Bit of a head scratcher this one, this compilation album has pretty much been songs by various "celebs". So when I saw the name Lionel Bart I thought "who is this? Some tap dancer from the 60s or something?". Lionel Bart is just some bloke that wrote songs, wasn't on Corrie, wasn't on some sitcom, I don't understand the inclusion.

So most of you will know the song by the title which was made famous by Cliff Richard (or maybe The Young Ones if you're cool). Lionel was the chap that actually wrote the song. But this is his version! It's not good. He sounds like a combination of Leonard Cohen and Steve Coogan's "Keanu Reeves" character from Saxondale.

• Moderators

Track 16 - "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" By Keith 'Cheggers' Chegwin

Bet you didn't know that Cheggers had a foray into the music biz did ya? But this wasn't just a one off attempt, just take a look at his discogs!

This song is pretty soppy, has a vibe of Rod Stewart meets Cliff Richard. From looking at Cheggers other records he seemed to be going for the nice guy crooner type of vibe. Just have a listen to Put Your Head On My Shoulder - fucking hell, this is almost as bad as My Video for Briona

• Moderators

Track 17 - "Wastin' Time" by Jimmy Tarbuck

An aptly titled song for this endeavour....

This is the b-side to "Someday" single that Thatcherite Tarby dropped in 1965. You may be surprised in thinking that Tarbuck has a singing voice, well he doesn't, but that didn't stop him. "Someday" is shite in case you were wondering.

"We're Wastin' Time" is actually a song by Jagger/Richards, but originally released by Tarbuck. There is a weird version of this song on a Rolling Stones compilation where Jagger sings, but it's a whole backing band doing the music (featuring Jimmy Page). It's vastly superior in every way so have a listen to that to clean your palate:

• Paid Members

That Willie Rushton song is an absolute jam. I have a mate who'd love it. 

I thought that Cheggers would be him covering the Bacharach & David classic, but wasn't entirely disappointed. I agree that it's got that 70s Rod Stewart vibe to it. 

Fuck Tarby. 

• Moderators

Track 18 - "Once Upon A Time" by Robert Powell

*WARNING - THIS IS A POWERFUL SONG, BE CAREFUL YOU DON'T GET TAKEN INTO A HYPNOTIC TRANCE"

The embedded thumbnail gives a hint of this gem. This is Robert Powell with his incredible voice slowly talking about the the creation of Earth over chanting choral voices as the music gradually builds up in intensity (with an occasional bike bell). Obviously the video is UNOFFICIAL, but the slow zoom into Powell's mouth really strikes a chord with how man came to be.

Just wow, if this doesn't take you places emotionally then I don't know what to tell you. Just be careful not to get too pulled into Powell's powerful track here, you'll only get out of it by blasting Terry Scott's "I Like Birds" at maximum volume.

• Moderators

Left you all hanging for the last couple days there didn't I? Sorry lads, been busy here. Totally going to phone this one in too.

Track 19 - "Stone The Crows" By Faith Brown

Here's the UK Dolly Parton dropping a single in 73. Its actually pretty good, reminiscent of early Rod Stewart or Judas Priest's early stuff like "Rocka Rolla". Worth a listen, a google image search, followed by a sweaty post in the Vintage Bintage thread.

• Moderators

Today should've been Track 20 - "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" by Roy Castle, which I was very excited to hear. Only really familiar with the Madonna version from Evita I was very curious to see what kind of spin Roy 'Record Breakers' Castle would put on it. Sadly it cannot be found :(

Heres "Record Breakers" to cheer you up tho:

• Moderators

Track 21 - "Rhubarb Tart Song" by John Cleese & 1948 Show Choir

I grimaced when I saw this listed, I had a feeling it was going to be one of those "silly" songs that I just fail to understand why people lap this shit up. I was right.

This is pre-Monty Python Cleese, which I'll just go ahead and say...I really don't get all the fanfare for Monty Python. Sure, some stuff I have found hilarious - especially the Biggus Dickus scene from Life of Brian, but in general I find it all a bit "monkey cheese".

Anyway, Cleese does this song where he goes on about rhubarb tarts. I imagine some Oxford toffs absolutely lose it over this, but it just irritated me.

• Moderators

Track 22 - "Hands Off, Stop Mucking About" by Kenneth Cope

Another Coronation Street actor here, which like I said before I never really watched. This is a catchy song, but the lyrics are a bit...rapey...you know in that typical 60s way where a bloke immediately puts his hands all over a lass and tells her to stop protesting. Yeah, in current times this song feels very wrong. The tables do turn mid way through, the lass wants to cuddle up, but he rebuffs because of not wanting to crease his mohair suit.

The tune in this though? Really great. That chorus is going to be stuck in my head all day.

• Moderators

Track 23 - "Georgy Girl" by Jim Dale

I thought Jim Dale was dead but he's alive (unless I just gave him the Millard curse) - I also didn't know that Jim Dale was so musically inclined, I only knew him from being the "nice guy" on Carry On films.

This is a tricky one, the album says Georgy Girl by Jim Dale, which is true in that he wrote the lyrics, but I can only find videos of The Seekers, which from web searching makes sense. I see no other references to Jim Dale recording this. Here's The Seekers version:

Its uneventful. Very early 60s, you know the kind of clean cut pop before the Beatles made everyone smoke wacky baccy.