Cobra Kai - S5 and general discussion (may contain spoilers)

John Matrix

• Paid Members

Just a heads up to anyone trying to go in blind, I believe there was a review embargo that expired at midnight Central time, meaning YouTube and social media are likely to be flooded with spoilers imminently for those of you trying to go in blind - which if this tweet by Jon Hurwitz is anything to go by, is highly recommended...

Binged watched it this afternoon with some friends. Loved it. 
a few too convenient-to-be-plausible details aside, super enjoyable and a ton of moments that made me pop both as a fan of the original, Cobra Kai and wrestling (the Hart foundation reference!). Great start to 2021 😊

• Paid Members

Bines watched it all yesterday.  More of the same really, couple of good cameos and a more detailed back story on one of the main characters.  Hardly life changing, but an entertaining enough watch.

Watched the first five episodes yesterday.

Spoiler

On the whole enjoying it and I'm finding the thirty/thirty-five minute episodes flying by.  Johnny continues to be great and and I'm liking Daniel-san more this season, the less emphasis on Miyagi-Do Karate from him doesn't make me bored by his stuff as it did in Season Two.  

Miguel aside, it is the teen sagas that is the "channel changer" material.  Aisha has left (parents moved her away after the trouble at the end of Season Two), while Burt has been kicked out of Cobra Kai for lacking the killer instinct.  As a result we're left with Hawk, Sam, Dimitri and a bunch of nameless teens from the rival Dojos feuding, including one awful scene on the soccer pitch.  If I am meant to care or have sympathy for Robbie in JD, I don't on both counts.  Thankfully Stingray has gone though.

Nice to see Bobby back making a cameo (I know they acknowledged his character was in jail but I really wish Chad McQueen would agree to make some appearances) and I liked the couple of episodes where Daniel went to Japan, okay it was super-convenient he just happens to see Kumiko on his trip to Okinawa but I can overlook that.  From the end of episode five it certainly gives the impression Ali will be showing up sometime soon.  With Carmen appearing to soften her stance towards Johnny maybe some sort of love triangle for him?

Final quick notes, there's a great nod to the "Daniel is the really bully" YouTube video in one of the first scenes and nice to see Kreese has a new lifesize cardboard cut-out of himself at Cobra Kai.

• Paid Members

I started watching from the beginning today. I like the journeys Johnny and Daniel are both on. Some nice parallels between their arcs and the original Karate Kid movies. Tanner Buchanon looks a heck of a lot like his dad. 

Wonder if they’ll age Terry up. It’s one thing him being portrayed as older than Macchio when they’re both kids and he’s got about two foot on him and amazing locks of hair but how are they going to convince us he’s the same age as 74 year old John Kreese? Kreese does look great to be fair.

I loved this last series but am I right in thinking it has two more to go? I don’t know how far they can stretch it out past the next All Valley. Veterans All Valley? 

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

I wonder whether they'll try to bring back Mike from Karate Kid 3 as well?

Presumably the logical conclusion to the show is that Johnny manages to get the rights to the Cobra Kai name back and either manages to properly rebuild its reputation, or lets it go and continues with Eagle Fang or Miyagi-do. 

Hillary Swank guest appearance as Julie?

Edited by jazzygeofferz

2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I wonder whether they'll try to bring back Mike from Karate Kid 3 as well?

Sean Kanan seems pretty open to reprising the role in interviews I've seen with him, he also made an appearance in that Josh Gad reunited video.  I reckon it's just a case of them finding a logical story to bring him back and then he'll make a cameo or two.

• Moderators

I've now watched all of Cobra Kai, and I have to be honest, it is both as shit as I previously said but also has moments of absolute joy. I also enjoy being that twat who harps on about how useless the submission holds they show are.

1 hour ago, King of Hamptons said:

I have fond memories of the films as a kid, does the TV series do it justice? I'm looking for something to watch after I've binged The Punisher again. 

Almost unreasonably so. It manages to present itself through the rose tinted spectacles that you look back on the originals with. It has some genuinely good action sequences and loads of fun humour and nostalgia that manages to patch up some of the terrible acting and writing.

• Paid Members

I did mark out at those lads in the Warrior & Mania t-shirts, and the Harts/Bulldogs reference. 

Some of the fight sequences feel a bit Power Rangers. I'm also trying to figure out which of the kids are martial artists and which ones are dancers from how they move.