UFC 257: Poirier vs McGregor 2 - Jan 23 🇦🇪 🏝

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

was Chandler debut's the best in UFC history? in terms of maximising pre-fight hype, the platform it was on, the actual performance and the post-fight interview i cant think of any better? 

You are absolutely correct! 

Silva has a claim due to fact he won on his debut and then got hot shotted into a main event title fight but it's nothing compared to Chandlers. As you mentioned, the pre-fight hype, the cage side interview on a Khabib PPV, the co main event spot on a McGregor PPV, the way he won without resorting to his wrestling bread and butter, the post fight promo (which I may have watched over 20 times on YouTube), heck, it was even in front of more fans than Silva's debut and there wasn't a global pandemic on then! It was a perfect debut, I was fully onboard the Chandler bus before, but now I am behind the wheel and driving it. Give that man a title shot! Give that man anything he wants, give him a talk show, a pod cast. I'm sold.

13 hours ago, Panhead said:

Jesus. Look at his eyes! 

I rewatched it last night before I deleted it off of the Sky box. When I watched it live, I thought Conor did enough to take the first round. Second time around, I'm not so sure. Poirier never really looked troubled. 

Yeah man I see where you coming from with this, I've rewatched the Main a few times now and I'm not entirely convinced the first round was absolutely Conor's round. Dustin got the takedown controlled him there, Then in the clinch against the cage Dustin answered everything Conor threw at him (Shoulder strikes/punches) Dustin also landed a few of the calf kicks that eventually led to the KO in the second during the first round. I've seen thrown around on various youtube reviews that Conor landed more big shots that hurt Dustin. I think yeah Conor laded a few clean shots but Dustin took them and landed some right back so I'm not convinced it was 100% his round.

I was litterally just watching the interview on ESPN with Justin Gaethje and he said the rankings now stand as #1 Dustin - #2 Justin - #3 Olivera - #4 Chandler 
So I mean surely Justin has to be in with a argument to face Dustin for the belt next?

• Paid Members

I remember this being a big topic of conversation on here years ago when the rankings were introduced. 

They are nothing more than a visual guide for the top guys in the division for the MMA media and fans to obsess about. 

In reality, anyone from 1-5 (even as far as 10) could get the title shot. It's all based on timing, injuries, who fought last and recency bias. 

• Paid Members

Plus of that lot, Poirier’s already beat Gaethje. Although that won’t stop them giving Conor the shot. Personally I’d much rather see Poirier vs Oliveira or Chandler next to crown a champ. And I’d either do McGregor vs Diaz 3 or maybe McGregor vs Ferguson and Gaethje vs Diaz. There’s a bunch of ways they could do it. In the end though, I reckon we’ll be seeing Poirier vs McGregor 3 next. 

I think if there was any sporting basis for these decisions then Oliveira would fight for the lightweight title next against AN Other. Were he to win that match he would be the only lightweight currently I reckon who could claim to have done something special enough to entice Khabib down from the mountains of Dagestan and into the octagon. Assuming Khabib is after a sporting challenge and not a massive payday of course. 

• Paid Members

I think at this point it would be more about a fight he sees as an interesting challenge than a massive payday. Obviously he wants paying handsomely as well but if it was just about that he’d have been all for the McGregor rematch Dana was so erect over.

On pure merit (which I know isn’t how these things are decided), Oliveira deserves it more than Chandler easy. Oliveira is on an 8 fight streak (7 of them finishes) which includes wins over Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee in his last two. Stack that up against Chandler’s case for the shot. Basically just the Hooker win. Impressive but that’s one spectacular performance. Poirier vs Oliveira is the one. But then again, if I was Dana I’d probably be pushing for the McGregor trilogy decider as well. So I get it. And although Chandler’s not had the run of performances Oliveira has, he did provide the UFC with perfect material for the promotion with that KO and post-fight interview. I can see the argument for all of them if you look at it from different perspectives. Got a feeling Oliveira is going to get left out in the cold though which will be a shame.