UFC 257: Poirier vs McGregor 2 - Jan 23 🇦🇪 🏝

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
30 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I think at this point it would be more about a fight he sees as an interesting challenge than a massive payday. Obviously he wants paying handsomely as well but if it was just about that he’d have been all for the McGregor rematch Dana was so erect over.

On pure merit (which I know isn’t how these things are decided), Oliveira deserves it more than Chandler easy. 

Yeah, if we are going merit you do: Poirier vs. Olives.

if you're going buzz you do: Poirier vs. Chandler.

if you're going financial you go: Poirier vs. McGregor III.

If the belt is gonna be on the line no matter what, what do you think would be Poiriers preference?

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

The trilogy is definitely happening, if Conor wants it. Wouldn't be surprised if Dana puts the belt on the line too.

No idea how the champ PPV points work these days, but if Poirier doesn't get any despite winning the belt in his next fight, he's probably best holding off to fight McGregor when he's champion. McGregor only fights once a year anyway, so he can get that in by the summer.

• Paid Members

DC argued that the UFC should just strip Khabib and put the belt on Poirier. When Helwani argued against that, DC said Poirier being given the belt then defending it against McGregor would mean way more money for him. So that's another option.

• Paid Members

He’s been pretty clear he’s retired though. It’s only because Dana’s been teasing that he might come back that this conversation keeps rumbling on. Even that thing before 257 where Dana had his big meeting with Khabib and said Khabib said he might come back if someone impresses him, we only heard that from Dana. Who knows if Khabib even said that shit himself. Khabib’s still young, maybe he’ll be back somewhere down the line. But for right now, he’s saying he’s done. Leave the fucker be. 

• Paid Members

im gonna hazard a guess that Khabib didnt say it 😄

Thing is, he had the perfect opening to strip Khabib and put the belt on a Conor McGregor fight, for whatever reason he chose not too. We believed it was a foregone conclusion on here.

What actual purpose does it serve to keep the belt on Khabib? its a weird one.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

What actual purpose does it serve to keep the belt on Khabib? its a weird one.

Dana probably thinks stripping Khabib of the belt makes it all official and probably presumes Khabib will come round to the idea of fighting again. No need to rush into it just now, I guess.

It shows how out of the loop i am as I assumed when Khabib retired he vacated the belt lol. So not only has he hasn't done that, the UFC won't strip him in the hope he comes back at some point, which in turn stops anyone else becoming champion and earning extra money. 

• Paid Members

It’s not so much on Khabib to vacate it though. It would’ve helped if he’d put out a statement or even a tweet like Jon Jones did, I guess, but he actually said he was retired so by default he’s vacated the title. The UFC choosing not to recognise that and make it official that the belt is vacant is why there’s confusion. Every time Khabib’s been asked he’s given no indication that he’s got any plans to come back.

I love the way Dana and some fans keep basically going ‘come on now Khabib, what’s happening. Are you fighting again, yes or no?’ As if he’s been skirting around the issue and not being clear enough. I guess they’re going to just keep hounding him until they get the answer they want. As much as I’d like to see him fight again, I genuinely hope he sticks to his guns and never comes back now. Just to spite them. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Dana probably thinks stripping Khabib of the belt makes it all official and probably presumes Khabib will come round to the idea of fighting again. No need to rush into it just now, I guess.

You'd also imagine that in most other situations, the UFC would create and Interim Title and simply elevate it if Khabib stays retired. 

From Sherdog:

"Khabib Nurmagomedov seems to have a different interpretation of his recent meeting with Dana White than the UFC president did.

In a recent interview with Russian outlet Sport24, Nurmagomedov didn’t show much interest in the outcome of the top two fights on Saturday’s UFC 257 card. White, after talking with the lightweight champ last week, suggested that if something spectacular happened in Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier or Michael Chandler vs. Dan Hooker, Nurmagomedov could be lured back into the Octagon for one more fight.

“There must be some motivation, some hunger,” Nurmagomedov said via translated text on the video. “If you’re not hungry, you know, I’ve been in sports for so many years. I’ve been doing it all my life. I have achieved almost everything in this sport, and there isn’t someone who I would like to fight now. “I know that there are many fighters who would like to earn money, who strive for something. What should I do? A lot of people don’t want to understand my side. I don’t see that yet.” “The Eagle” claims that while he will continue continue to train out of love for the sport, he is more focused on his business interests, such as running the Eagle Fighting Championships promotion.

“If we talk about all my business projects, I have so much to do that is planned. And fights are not in these plans,” he said. “I train for myself. The biggest thing that gives me pleasure is training. I enjoy when I wrestle, run, spar, work on pads, when I work on the punch bags. This is what I have been doing all my life, and I will continue to train constantly, as well. “But if we talk about the fights, they are not a part of my plans.”

Nurmagomedov didn’t completely rule out a return, but he did hint that if it happens, it will occur in the distant future — not in the coming months. “They constantly discuss, ‘He will come back, he will not come back,'” Nurmagomedov said. “You know, today we have 2021. A year ago it was 2020. The same time, January, and so much has happened. We don’t know what will happen in 2022, 2023, you know, so let’s not talk about it. No one knows what will happen tomorrow. “I don’t even have any plans for the UFC in the near future. I don’t have any thoughts about preparing for the fight.”

............................................................................................................................................................................