UFC 257: Poirier vs McGregor 2 - Jan 23 🇦🇪 🏝

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

This was inevitable for Conor. While he's busy doing ching, the sharks in the division are training and actually fighting. Conor's fight output (4 in 4 years or something) just reeks of a man after a pay day, rather than a serious contender; using that as an excuse was hilarious. To think they were on about chucking him in there with Khabib again.

The build up reminded me a wee bit of Rousey's last fight, with everyone going on about how good Conor physically looked, as if that meant much more than cosmetics.

You wonder if Conor starts fighting on until it gets sad. You know his ego will want to walk away on his terms and he's probably got too many folk telling him what he wants to hear.

Anyway, if I'm Dana I'm getting that third Diaz v McGregor fight ASAP.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

I don't watch enough UFC but I've never really understood the hype around Connor McGregor. There's been a few flash in the pans (in my opinion anyway - McGregor, Rousey, Alves) who have had a media/hype circus around them and just as suddenly they're losing fights and the hype disappears.

What would you recommend in terms of reading/watching so I can educate myself on him? Any fights of his that I've seen he's lost so I don't understand how he's made so much money. Any info or nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 minute ago, Suplex Sinner said:

I don't watch enough UFC but I've never really understood the hype around Connor McGregor. There's been a few flash in the pans (in my opinion anyway - McGregor, Rousey, Alves) who have had a media/hype circus around them and just as suddenly they're losing fights and the hype disappears.

What would you recommend in terms of reading/watching so I can educate myself on him? Any fights of his that I've seen he's lost so I don't understand how he's made so much money. Any info or nudge in the right direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

If your talking about educating yourself on Conor McGregor I would absolutely suggest watching his film "the notorious" and there is also a 6 part tv documentary that was made during the period of him fighting Jose Aldo/Eddie Alvarez also named "The notorious" Which is really interesting also dude. If you want to see behind the scenes/build up stuff about Conor from the days he was all about being the best UFC fighter and not just in it for the money.

I'm so tired I'll make a proper post talking about the show later but I don't know if any of you guys have watched the post fight presser yet but Dana was out first and he really didn't look happy at all, in fact he looked super disappointed and bummed out. You quickly found out why when he was asked had he spoke to Khabib after what went down on the show and he said yes he had and Khabib basically said he is several levels above everyone else so there isn't any reason to come back and as he promised he won't hold up the division. So I'm taking that for what it is and seeing it as Khabib is staying true to his word and retiring and the belt will be vacated meaning Dustin Poirier will fight SOMEONE for the vacant title. However in Dustin's post fight interview at the presser in my opinion he was really disrespectful towards Michael Chandler and said he won't be fighting him for the title as he has just come into the company and hasn't done anything to prove himself or earn the privilege of fighting Dustin for the vacant title........Even though in the lead up to this PPV it was pretty much unanimously agreed by everyone that the Co-Main & Main Event would be the semi final in the unofficial title tournament to decide who will face each other for the belt. 

It's a huge shame because going in there and beating Conor like he did when pretty much across the board by everyone Dustin wasn't just the underdog but he was pretty much counted out by everyone in the world and even though I was shocked, I was so impressed and thought what a guy he truly deserves it. Only for him to go into the presser right after and be incredibly disrespectful and abit of a dick towards Chandler who went in there last night and fucking showed the world he is legit and not just another guy from Belator/the B leagues that can't hang with the A list/top tier guys. I think Chandler vs Poirier is absolutely the fight to make after last night in every way.

16 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Jack Slack wrote this book about him a while ago - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Notorious-Life-Fights-Conor-McGregor-ebook/dp/B06XNLKMRJ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=jack+slack+mcgregor&qid=1611482221&sr=8-1

I haven't read it myself, but given that Slack is one of the best MMA writers/analysts in the game, I can imagine it's an excellent read. 

• Paid Members

I can see why a guy like Poirier would feel the way he does about Chandler in a way. Poirier’s grafted for years to get in this position and Chandler signed and was immediately put in as the backup for Khabib vs Gaethje. He wasn’t needed that night but now after one win (although a very impressive one), he’s the guy? I’m not even saying Chandler shouldn’t get the shot, although I do think Charles Oliveira has done more to warrant it, but I can see why Poirier thinks Chandler hasn’t quite done enough. Although, in the next breath he was talking about doing the rubber match with Conor and even name dropped Nate Diaz as someone he’d be up for fighting next. Fuck knows what happens.

Personally I think McGregor vs Diaz 3 is the fight to make next. Failing that, if Nate doesn’t go for that, McGregor vs Gaethje. The problem then becomes what do you do about Poirier, Chandler and Oliveira? Obviously, a triple threat match isn’t happening so someone will be left holding his cock if this scenario plays out. Of course, if they can make Conor vs Nate 3 then that frees up Gaethje to fight one of them but there’s no certainties with Nate.

Saying all that, they’ll probably just go straight into Poirier vs McGregor 3 now. Dana’s already been trying to excuse Conor losing and mentioning the trilogy. Seems like the bollocks narrative they’re going to go with this time will be a combination of Conor’s ‘I was rusty/wasn’t active enough going in’ and Dana’s already started with the ‘this was like Rocky 3’ bit, as if to say Conor lost because he’s living the high life and losing his eye of the tiger or some shite.

It’s all a load of cack and it’s predictable as fuck. The truth is he looked as dangerous as ever early in the fight and he absolutely blasted Dustin with some hard shots.

CF99-E141-5204-433-A-AFBB-2-E8641-BC4969

Look at that! Not many would be able to eat a shot like that and, not just stay standing, fire back. Poirier did. 

Dustin was also smart enough to go with a mix of grappling early and then the leg kicks, which kept Conor at bay, made him hesitate to attack, hindered his movement massively and no doubt took some of the pop out of his punches because he couldn’t plant that right leg. All of this opened up the opportunities for Dustin to let his hands go and Conor ended up looking at the lights. Dustin got it spot on. It was risky and he’d always have had to take a few lumps along the way while Conor was fresh. But, unlike Cowboy last year, he was durable enough to get through that and get the excellent game plan that Mike Brown laid out going.

Dustin and his team deserve all the credit. If the roles were reversed and Conor battered him again, he’d be getting 100% of the credit and then some. There’d be no trying to explain away why Poirier lost and all we’d be hearing about today is how Khabib’s running scared and all that cobblers. But because he’s lost, again, it’s the same old bullshit about him not being active enough, having too much money to focus, the old not being motivated crap and all that. Again, stuff you never hear possibly being an issue before the fight suddenly becomes the reason he lost. The truth is the grappling has always been the weaker area of his game, he’s never really checked leg kicks and I still stand by he doesn’t really respond well when the opponent doesn’t go away and they have that next level toughness and relentlessness. Poirier brought all 3 into play and came out with the win. Full credit.

7D8655D1-29E4-4213-9F0D-87CE860924DE.jpeg

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

If your talking about educating yourself on Conor McGregor I would absolutely suggest watching his film "the notorious" and there is also a 6 part tv documentary that was made during the period of him fighting Jose Aldo/Eddie Alvarez also named "The notorious" Which is really interesting also dude. If you want to see behind the scenes/build up stuff about Conor from the days he was all about being the best UFC fighter and not just in it for the money.

Thank you very much for the recommendations. There is an awful lot about him that I don't know so that opinion I have of him probably isn't a fair one - it's also not a fair reflection of the individual or his abilities. 

I'll search for them and that will be my afternoon/early evening viewing sorted. Tyson Fury was someone else I initially held in low regard because of the headlines, notoriety and obscene amounts of money involved but one interview I saw changed it completely. I went and read up on him, watched his interviews and different bits and pieces and he's now one of my favourite sports persons. I'm thinking that there might be some similarities with Connor McGregor. 

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

Jack Slack wrote this book about him a while ago - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Notorious-Life-Fights-Conor-McGregor-ebook/dp/B06XNLKMRJ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=jack+slack+mcgregor&qid=1611482221&sr=8-1

I haven't read it myself, but given that Slack is one of the best MMA writers/analysts in the game, I can imagine it's an excellent read. 

That's it ordered! Cheers for the heads up, I'm interested to see what all the fuss is about because from the outside the whole situation looks fascinating. 

20 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Personally I think McGregor vs Diaz 3 is the fight to make next. Failing that, if Nate doesn’t go for that, McGregor vs Gaethje.

They could also do McGregor vs Ferguson. That fight makes sense (from a sporting perspective)

DP vs Oliveria should be next for the vacant belt. With Chandler vs Gaethje for the number 1 contender. Although I would also be happy if they booked DP vs Gaethje 2 for the vacant belt. 

Of course, they won't book all of these fights, and perhaps even none of them. I think there is an excellent chance they book McGregor vs Poirier 3. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

That's it ordered! Cheers for the heads up, I'm interested to see what all the fuss is about because from the outside the whole situation looks fascinating. 

It’s all worth watching, reading and looking into but I think with MMA stars that really catch on, it’s hard to really explain what the fuss was about unless you experienced it at the time yourself. McGregor, Rousey and going back to Lesnar, they all shone really brightly for a relatively short time. They’ve all had spells of being mega popular and really hated. But when they were on top it was magic. Stuff like Brock smashing Frank Mir’s head in at UFC 100, Rousey judo throwing Alexis Davis into the afterlife and McGregor’s mental 13 second KO against an all time great in Jose Aldo, they’re all still crazy to watch in hindsight. But I can’t even do justice to what the feeling was watching live and the buzz around those events, and those fighters in particular at that time.

It’s the same to a lesser extent with all the top fighters in their day. Fans today will look back at Chuck Liddell, BJ Penn, Wanderlei Silva, Takanori Gomi and many guys like that from past eras and wonder what the fuss was all about. And it’s even harder to get that across unless you know the names they beat and the context of their big wins and so on.

The whole Conor McGregor story is an interesting one though looking back. He’s still got his legion of diehard fans but I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many people who loved him go completely the other way and now detest him. And I include myself in that. There’s been fighters fans have liked and then turned on and fighters fans have disliked who eventually won them around. But I’ve never seen it go from one extreme to the other like it has with Conor McGregor over the past 5 years or so.

@jimufctna24 See, I completely forgot about Tony Ferguson! Goes to show how stacked that division is. 

Edited by wandshogun09