Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members
On 3/8/2024 at 6:17 PM, Ronnie said:

I have an aunt who routinely wishes people a happy birthday by posting a status update on her own timeline.

Here's a live example!

image.png.ae790feeb095fad3fe7cdb2d624abb60.png

To cap it off: Ben isn't on Facebook ...

• Paid Members

My best mate’s ex-wife posts a happy birthday message on Facebook to someone almost daily, and it’s always the fully lyrics to Happy Birthday. She’s done this for at least the last 10 years and every time she does it, it makes me hate her just a tiny bit more. 

• Paid Members

I’m getting a brain itch from people using adjectives that don’t quite fit the object of the sentence or discussion. Mrs raid was watching shit real estate programs the other day and a bloke summarised the situation and where they were up to with the negotiations then clapped his hands together and exclaimed “Gorgeous!” - I mean, it’s good you got the asking price down but… gorgeous?? Later he described a bathroom as “delicious” and I checked out even further.

Worst of all, I have a colleague who regularly describes nice-tasting food as “fit.” Really gives me the ick. I wasn’t overly happy when people started using it to mean sexy, but I got used to it. However, while I’m onboard with applying it to, say, Rhea Ripley, I’m never going to be able to process “fit” describing a baked potato with cheese.

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

I’m getting a brain itch from people using adjectives that don’t quite fit the object of the sentence or discussion. Mrs raid was watching shit real estate programs the other day and a bloke summarised the situation and where they were up to with the negotiations then clapped his hands together and exclaimed “Gorgeous!” - I mean, it’s good you got the asking price down but… gorgeous?? Later he described a bathroom as “delicious” and I checked out even further.

Worst of all, I have a colleague who regularly describes nice-tasting food as “fit.” Really gives me the ick. I wasn’t overly happy when people started using it to mean sexy, but I got used to it. However, while I’m onboard with applying it to, say, Rhea Ripley, I’m never going to be able to process “fit” describing a baked potato with cheese.

See also: lush.

I just Spinal Tapped out at my computer updating and loudly said to it "Why don't you just combine the multiple loading bars into one and have that be the one big loading bar?" 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I've also developed this horrible thing where I notice one specific sound or repetitive part in a song and then I can't stop hearing it and it drives me insane. I don't know why. It never used to happen.

I have that, and as a weird byproduct it always makes me lose The Game.

There's an advert on at the moment for Curry's, or someone similar, who's tagline is 'Beyond Expectations', except the person doing the voice over seems to pronounce it as 'Beyont'. Does my head in every time. 

Every advert now seems to be some old song rewritten with cheesy lyrics to advertise their product. I get it with things like Flash but when the song has absolutely no bearing on the product but it's just changed for the hell of it....grrrrrrr

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

There's a couple or maybe a date at the next table over in the pub. A bloke and a woman. The woman has an American accent. I know that's a vague description, but I'm saying "American accent" in a Minor Annoyance thread, you know what I mean. All elongated vowels and upwards inflection, and "...like, riiiiiiiiight?" at the end of every other sentence.

In the last fifteen minutes she has said, "there is, like, no way" at least five times. She has asked "what is the difference between beer and ale?". She has picked up a flyer for a pizza place that delivers to the pub, and said, "so, like, I think you can order and have it delivered here free" - no, you don't think that, that's literally what it says on the flyer you are currently reading. While placing the order, she read aloud every single part of the process as she was doing it. Apart from the brief pauses when she didn't know what an ingredient was, at which point she held her phone at a right angle to her mouth like she was in The Apprentice and asked it to search for what that ingredient was. WHAT IS PROVOLONE.

So annoying I'm almost sympathising with Humphrey Smith.