The Golf Thread

PowerButchi

• Moderators

I've found out the kids in the secondary school a mile up the road start back tomorrow. 

For fucks sakes, I've been going there three mornings a week with my 7 iron to practise and get my mechanics right. 

Have they no respect for a former vice captain of their rugby team, cricketer and goalkeeper.

Ill have to pay to go the fucking driving range now. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So anyway. 

Carden Park is local to me has a marvellous two golf courses and is a 5 star resort. 

36 holes, 3 course dinner, and B&B.  £130. Booked it on Monday for next Thurs-Fri. Its normally just 130 for a room! 

While it's local its a stones throw over the Wrexham-Cheshire border.

Wrexham is on lockdown. 😭😭😭

I bought some nice Adidas gear as well so I didn't have to wear my slazenger Sports Direct shit. 

In "how are you playing news", I'm finally driving with a driver. Turns out I  wasn't teeing up high enough. I'm normally getting about 150yds off the tee now which apparently is pretty decent as I only swing halfway. Not too bad with the rescue, but I'm still mainly using a 9iron and my putting is even worse since I bought a new putter which is fat as shit and I'm heavy handed anyway. 

How is everyone else getting on? 

Edited by PowerButchi

I played the other Sunday at a course called Forest Pines not far from Worksop. As you may gather, there's a fuck load of trees everywhere and if you're off with your tee shot, then you're in the shit. Or trees at least.

With this in mind I basically put the driver away and hit 3 iron of each tee - it's not an overly long course but the radar needs to be there. All in all it was an enjoyable experience and I almost played to my handicap (which is 18 at the minute, unofficially).

Usually around this time of year, 16 of us play in a Ryder Cup style competition where we all pair up and play 8 singles matches. This year, due to Covid reasons we haven't really organised it. I might try and sort it for a Sunday somewhere before it gets too cold.

Edited by Max Power

• Paid Members

Carden Park is pretty stunning isn't it? 

Our assistant pro came out the practice area to give me a few pointers last night as he's noticed me playing within myself recently. Weird drills including hovering my right heel and hitting off of extreme downhill lies to get me into my left side more did the trick. I've felt whilst getting down to 19 handicap I've not really improved this year and felt that when I went to lessons the speed was almost taught out of me...not sure that makes sense but he saw me playing at the weekend and pretty much decided someone of my build and stature should be hitting it miles so he got us out last night. As with anything, going to be difficult to undo what I have been doing wrong but games organised today and tomorrow and then I'll practice again Sunday/Monday.

In clobber related news I wear nothing but Puma gear. I have no idea why, just always gravitated towards it and their shoes with the disc laces are like slippers. Amazing.

Edited by Suplex Sinner
Spelling

I have pretty much been forced to pack it in for a few more months sadly. I always played with either my father in law at his club as a guest or with a mate at random clubs using 'Tee off times'

My mate is away for work for a few months and my father in laws is not allowing visitors yet as they want to make.sure the members are still getting priority during covid era. 

Truth be told I can't really be affording to disappear for 3+ hours at a time with a new born on the scene. I played 9 holes on my own at one of the shittier courses a few weeks back but it is no fun playing alone when you are at my level. 

I still get down to the driving range once a week to keep up the practise. 

I'm fortunate that my little village in Devon has its own 9 hole par 3 course so I've been playing that once or twice a week and my score is down from the mid 40s to the mid 30s and I've also become a member so have my first official handicap (9N).

The upside is that my short game has become pretty good and I bought a decent putter which makes a difference.

The downside of course is that it really doesn't translate to 18 hole golf and I'm still pretty consistently hitting 38 over which tells me that I need to get to the driving range and hit something bigger than a 5 iron!

I'm currently playing with a set of Benross clubs which do a good enough job but I'm looking to upgrade to some of the Cleveland Launcher HB Turbos in the not too distant. People rave about them being easier to hit but then won't play them because of the way they look which is just odd. My number one club at the moment is a chipper (or cheating as I've been accused of!) so I have no illusions of looking like a proper golfer - I just want to get round in as few a shots as possible.

• Paid Members

Well, Thursday night's lesson worked well yesterday, hitting the ball solidly, today not do much. 

Currently using every available radiator to dry my gear out 😂 Looking forward to the winter to work more on my swing. First season in four without a trophy which is disappointing so need to get myself back on track. 

Anyone else venture out in the monsoon this morning?

• Moderators

I'm not touching my bat's again until Wednesday then I'm going the range. 

As our Carden Park trip was canceled were doing 36 holes in our club in Wrexham (The Clays. Friendliest Golf Club in the world, when they say golf for everyone they actually mean it), and just getting pissed in their bar both nights. 

Is getting lessons off the club pro worth it? Is it expensive and you found a difference? 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

I'm not touching my bat's again until Wednesday then I'm going the range. 

As our Carden Park trip was canceled were doing 36 holes in our club in Wrexham (The Clays. Friendliest Golf Club in the world, when they say golf for everyone they actually mean it), and just getting pissed in their bar both nights. 

Is getting lessons off the club pro worth it? Is it expensive and you found a difference? 

Honestly it depends on so many things. The club pro - some are disillusioned in life and only teach the "correct" way that they learned 30 years ago. Some are brilliant and get teach the way the person needs. I'm a feel person, not technical, so our pro finds a way of getting me to "feel" the move I need to. 

Expensive? Yes. Good pros are at least £30 an hour. But you need to want to commit for it to be worthwhile. When I started in my early 30s couldn't  hit anything. But I did some lessons, spent hours practicing, didn't see much difference initially until one day it clicked. Won a few medals, dropped a few shots off my HCP. I go for a few lessons each winter so I practice hard and come back spring time improved. Won my first club trophy this year although due to COVID not everyone competed so it feels a bit hollow. Each season I set goals to 1) win at least once and 2) lower my HCP. 

Cannot stress enough though lessons will mean you get worse before you get better (unless naturally gifted) so if it's enjoyment then they're not necessary. Annoyingly, I go all in on things even if I'm not naturally gifted (definitely the case with golf) so I pay the money in lieu of drinking every weekend like I did when I was younger.

Social aspect of golf is tremendous though. Playing again tomorrow 🙌