The Golf Thread

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I'm sure you'll all have seen this already but if not: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/309851

Over 200k signatures. I've seen a couple of ONS/NHS stats over the last few days which shows less than 0.05% cases originated on the course so it makes absolutely no sense to me that courses have to shut. 

Everyone has their own opinion though so I don't want to politicise it. If you think you'll benefit from being out for a hit consider signing. Obviously the government won't reverse it's decision on free school meals so I doubt they'll allow golf but every little helps.

Doesn't apply to Scotland thankfully. 

Fingers crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

I assume you guys are golf watchers as well as players. It is time for some proper golf, the second best tournament in the world, and the best of 2020.

Who does everyone think will win this weekend? I wish I'd done some sort of countdown and preview like @Egg Shen does in the MMA forum, but that boat has sailed.

I'd love Rory to get the grand slam, unbelievably he hasn't won a major since 2014.

I think Bryson will struggle if he gets out of shape, I watched him in a tournament earlier this year and he ended up taking an 9 or 10 on a Par 5 cause he continued to try to bash himself out of trouble. If he can get his mental side sorted then he will have an amazing chance and his commitment to improvement and search of perfection is very cool, even if a bit 'modern'.

Jon Rahm has done himself in by hitting that amazing shot in the practice round, the only thing that can top that is now winning the Masters. I'd love to see him win though, been one of the most consistent for the last couple of years and his final round with DJ at one of the FedEx events earlier was phenomenal.

DJ played phenomenally in parts during the FedEx, deserved winner of the FedEx and also a second place in the PGA championship.

Some outsiders though in with a shout, Xander Schauffle, a consistent performer often finishing top 10 in most tournaments he plays. Brooks Koepka, struggled terribly with injuries this year, but a proven major winner, a tidy 5th place last week. Tyrell Hatton, playing the golf of his life at the moment, probably the best chance of a Brit, another one with a delicate mindset. Patrick Reed, Tiger, Danny Willett, Jordan Spieth, Bubba all previous winners however some struggling with form.

Anyway, for my pick I'm going for Justin Thomas, or Jon Rahm.

Now I've posted this none of these will be anywhere near winning come Sunday :)

13 hours ago, Jacko said:

I really fancy Wolff or morikawa to go close this week.

hope Bryson doesn’t win hate his swing and slow play

Bryson is very frustrating to watch. The pure brutality of how he swings the driver and 3 wood is something else, I swear one of his practice swings yesterday blew me off my chair :). He will be slower than normal at this tournament especially given no green books are allowed. I mentioned in my post above how he likes to try to bash himself out of trouble and he didn't let me down, he still ended up with a 7 on the par 5 but could've been a lot worse.

11 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

Bryson is very frustrating to watch. The pure brutality of how he swings the driver and 3 wood is something else, I swear one of his practice swings yesterday blew me off my chair :). He will be slower than normal at this tournament especially given no green books are allowed. I mentioned in my post above how he likes to try to bash himself out of trouble and he didn't let me down, he still ended up with a 7 on the par 5 but could've been a lot worse.

Oh he could of fell to pieces but that’s what worries me is he’s had a bad round for him now can only see him getting closer to the top of leaderboard 

2 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Oh he could of fell to pieces but that’s what worries me is he’s had a bad round for him now can only see him getting closer to the top of leaderboard 

He mentioned in his interview that he didnt have his best round and was still 2 under, it's gonna be interesting what he can do with the extra length if the fairways firm up. I'm still sticking with Rahm or Thomas :)

Just now, stewdogg said:

He mentioned in his interview that he didnt have his best round and was still 2 under, it's gonna be interesting what he can do with the extra length if the fairways firm up. I'm still sticking with Rahm or Thomas :)

I just feel annoyed watching him play it’s his slowness more then anything 

I wish Rory had a 10th of his confidence 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

36 over but I don't care. So nice to be back!

Also me and my mate today and the other two who normally make our fourball (Can't in Wales make oe yet till the 26th) have booked a weekend away to this lovely course in Nefyn staying over in July for 3 days and 2 nights

https://nefyn-golf-club.co.uk/

With this one the next day

http://www.porthmadog-golf-club.co.uk/

The Nefyn Course looks absolutely spectacular. Especially holes 19-27.... The old front nine.

https://nefyn-golf-club.co.uk/the-old/

Edited by PowerButchi

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

So, I've got a free pass to Carden Park as my cousin has a business account there. Tee off 4pm tomorrow/today.

To be a posh fuck I've tried putting creases in my slacks. Iron went taught through them. I've an emergency pair though.

I'll be playing the Cheshire Course in Carden wearing these.... 

I fully be expecting to be asked to leave by the 5th.

IMG-20210621-WA0002.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So tomorrow I leave for Criccieth. Playing Royal St Davids in Harlech tomorrow, Abersoch on Thursday, and the 9 hole cliff top course in Nefyn on Friday. 

We've bought a shit load of water in advance, as it's going to be 35 degrees. Thank fuck we've hired buggies. 

But tomorrows and Fridays courses are some of the most picturesque in the world, especially Fridays. Would you be interested in seeing some photo's of my trip?