The Golf Thread

PowerButchi

• Moderators
On 10/2/2020 at 3:00 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Golf is Tory as fuck. 

It really isn't in a lot of places. Where I play has a Golf For Everyone ethos. 

Wrexham Golf Club directly across the road are pure tory though. 

Edited by PowerButchi

On 10/3/2020 at 1:48 PM, Suplex Sinner said:

Well, Thursday night's lesson worked well yesterday, hitting the ball solidly, today not do much. 

Currently using every available radiator to dry my gear out 😂 Looking forward to the winter to work more on my swing. First season in four without a trophy which is disappointing so need to get myself back on track. 

Anyone else venture out in the monsoon this morning?

I drove up to Bristol for a round yesterday and got absolutely battered by the rain for the first 12 holes before it mellowed into an annoying drizzle.

It was an 18 hole par 3 course and I was on fire. Back 9 was 5 over par and front 9 only got ruined because I tried be clever and use a recovery wood off the tee. Twice 😒

For me it comes back to my previous post - Ended up 16 Over but know that if it was a full length course that would have been at least an extra shot a hole (in addition to the extra par) and would have ended up 38 or so over.

I think I might heed the advice above and spend the winter on the driving range with my big clubs and take some lessons. 

Excuse the pun but that should let me come out swinging next year.

Edited by DiscoPistol
Couldn't count my own score card!

• Paid Members
On 10/4/2020 at 9:31 PM, PowerButchi said:

Have an enjoyable round tomorrow @Suplex Sinner

When Covid tails off a few of us should go for a couple of rounds. 

This is a really good idea. Having lurked for a good decade or so before making an account, it would one of the most unexpected but interesting experiences to meet people from the forum. Particularly as it's golf related! 

In relation to the another post (Keith or Iain I think) having been a member of a fairly expensive club for the four years I've been playing golf I have to say I agree with PB that it is absolutely not "Tory as fuck" - I don't think I've encountered one yet. It is one of the most inclusive and friendly sports you can get and politics isn't a thing. I've had the extremes of being flown by helicopter by a multi millionaire in Florida to their "own" club having just met and chatted to them at a course I'd booked the play to walking round the local municipal course, in shocking conditions with a few cans. Both occasions were equally as fun and nothing mattered other than we'd turned up and got chatting. No extravagance, no pretensions, just folk being folk. 

Great sport. I await the inevitable roasting though 😂

Edited by Suplex Sinner
Spelling

• Moderators

Absolute shocker today. 52 over, and even worse when I kneeled to tie my golf shoes on in the car park before we checked in I split my trousers from arse to cock and had to play 18 holes with half a hairy brain hanging out. 12 shots on the 340yds 10th was a special highlight. 

It was a fourball as well so I took 3 sides of banter. 

Im blaming that bracing wind hitting my pants. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Moderators
On 10/7/2020 at 8:01 PM, Joe Blog said:

Can we all go to Butch's pub after our round to watch Bargain Hunt? 

Pub is shut unfortunately. Its being sold. I'm now labouring for a Tree Surgeon. Which actually pays more, which is nice. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Absolute shocker today. 52 over, and even worse when I kneeled to tie my golf shoes on in the car park before we checked in I split my trousers from arse to cock and had to play 18 holes with half a hairy brain hanging out. 12 shots on the 340yds 10th was a special highlight. 

"Hairy brain" and "3 sides of banter" has absolutely creased me!

Irrespective of the golf, and one of the reasons I love the game, is that there's ALWAYS a story to tell from the round afterwards. 

Playing again at the weekend so will report back. 

8 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Pub is shut unfortunately. Its being sold. I'm now labouring for a Tree Surgeon. Which actually pays more, which is nice. 

Sorry to hear that mate. Glad you have got some work though. 

And sorry again about the split trousers, no one should have to go through that. 

15 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

I'm slightly bemused that someone hasn't made a joke about why you should always take two pairs of trousers when you play golf (spoiler - it's in case you get a 'Hole in One') (c) my 9 year old son.

On the 12 shots, so far as I can work out the new scoring system means that the maximum you can score is a net double bogey (your supposed to pick the ball up at that point apparently). So assuming your normally a 36 Handicap and it was a Par 4 you should only put 8 on your scorecard.

Just picked up some Wilson Launch Pad irons in the Amazon Prime sale for £348.

Was looking to get a set of Hybrid/Irons and it was between these and the Cleveland Launcher HB Turbos but the £100 saving swung it.

It also allowed me to pick up this beaut from Druids Golf. 

I now define 'all the gear, no idea'

spacer.png