The Golf Thread

PowerButchi

• Moderators

So, I'm going on a holiday with the lads to Killarney next Spring for one of theirs 50th.but it's a golf holiday. 

So I'm going to play a proper round for the first time tomorrow. I've bought hybrid irons as it makes it easier. I go the driving range a lot and love it though. 

How can I not be shit at golf and be embarrassed as fuck? 

Edited by PowerButchi

You will be absolutely shit and feel like an utter toddler who can not control their limbs. Then you will hit a good shot and think you are improving only to return to shitness again on the next shot. 

Have fun though it's a great sport. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

You will be absolutely shit and feel like an utter toddler who can not control their limbs. Then you will hit a good shot and think you are improving only to return to shitness again on the next shot. 

Im playing a four balls tomorrow, is it decent etiquette to ask the people I'm playing with what club to use? 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

Also, is visualisation useful? I boxed as a child, and played rugby, football and cricket into adult years and did better for visualisation. 

I did it for snooker and I was absolute dog shit. If I visualise driving like John Daly am I going to shank the fucker and feel like a prick? 

I've been a best man for 4 people but I've never felt so nervous about a sport in my life. 

Edited by PowerButchi

Don't use your fucking driver on the 1st tee. This will be the worst 2 minutes of your life. 1st tee. In front of the clubhouse. In front of 3 of your mates waiting to piss themselves. Dont use the big dog and nob it 3 feet. Just hit a 4 iron 180/200 yards. You'll be fine from then.

@PowerButchi 

I am still a beginner but these are all the lessons I have been taught or learnt through trial and error.

The harder you try to hit it the more chance you have of it going badly. A nice flowing swing with the Driver should be alright to send it a good distance. Let the club do the work. 

Don't feel the need to bring your club all the way back either thinking it will add to distance. I bring my driver back to just below my shoulder, much easier to control, following through with your swing is much more important. I also aim to have my belt buckle pointing toward the flag after my swing as it reminds me to turn. Cock your wrists on the back swing as well, the more cock in your hands the better. 

Absolutely use visualisation, golf is fought in the mind as much on the course so a positive mind set is always going to be a advantage. 

If the people you are playing with are not total knobs they will absolutely offer advice on choice of club, and don't feel like you shouldn't ask, even the pros have a caddy. 

If you can hit a wood then that will be good for those longer fairways, I can't hit a wood for shit. I found the 7 iron to be a really consistent club for me so I would rather have hit 3 seven iron shots to ensure my ball went forward and was controlled.

Remember no one will be expecting you to be good so don't play for Par, it is far more important to keep going forward with every shot, you will flub a lot of shots and that is fine. When you hit a decent shot remember that feeling of pride and how good it felt, it will keep you wanting to play. 

Putting: I always used to imagine a manhole cover sized circle around the hole, I would always be happy if my first put stopped within that circle, from there it is hopefully an easy tap in. 

Have a good round. Let us know how it went. 

Edited by Joe Blog

• Moderators

It's been rain checked. Gutted. We're trying to get a round in next week. This is a blessing for me thougb as it's more opportunity to smack some balls around the park and practise. 

Thank s for the advice. I'll be keeping all that in mind. Top stuff! 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

If you're at a club that has a "pro" who does lessons, I'd definitely recommend having a chat with them. I had a half hour video lesson where he recorded my swing took a look at my fundamentals which were a bit off, made a massive difference and made sure I don't look like a complete novice in front of the others I occasionally play with. Good confidence boost as well.

Other than that not much I can add, @Joe Blog is spot on!

I've just taken up golf again after many years and it's both glorious and horrific in equal measure. 

My advice, for what it's worth, is that you can save your game with a decent short game and some dustbin lid putting. 

By way of example I can top, chunk and loop the first 3 shots off the tee and so long as they go straight I'm usually okay. 

Then assuming I don't have to go over or out of a bunker I'll grab the trusty 7 iron and chip it in the general direction of the hole. What I'll never do, unless absolutely necessary, is try a flop or a wedge; there's an absolute certainty I'll top it and it will end up further from the hole. Its a boring but effective strategy. 

And with putting just don't look at the hole. 

I have my first 18 holes on a proper course tomorrow for several years. 

I'm aiming to break 110. 

• Paid Members

Love golf me. Best thing to do - by yourself - is make some swings with your eyes closed and feel how your body moves. That's what you're trying to achieve. If I have a round going to crap (it happens often regardless of ability) I'll do a few practice swings with my eyes shut to regain my composure. Works a treat. Enjoy. And enjoy the pint afterwards when everyone is talking about the one unbelievable shot they hit....and...how unlucky they were 😂

Just relax is my tip your going to have far more bad rounds then good.

I played 6 times in 2 weeks on annual leave the other week and played outstanding once decent once and awful the other 4, extremely frustrating but you will feel your game is going somewhere after that one good game.

So just enjoy it and your favourite hole will always be the 19th

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

35 over for the day. Mainly the first 8 holes as I was being overly coached and i was tense as fuck and thinking too much. 

When I stopped listening and put the driver back and relaxed and went of the tee with the 3 wood it was far easier. Had my first par!!!!

And now I've caught the bug. Going for another game next Friday. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Absolute shocking front 9 today. It was like I'd never picked up a club before. Back 9 was far better, par on the 18th. 32 over for the day. the ground was awful after the rain we had yesterday. Drainage was a real problem. The greens were like sponges and there was no roll on the ball,  would keep on stopping dead. 

My back is fucked.