UKFF Questions Thread v3

Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members

Question for @BomberPat or any one else with an insight. Is there a kayfabe reason why referees ring the bell to start matches when one of the wrestlers is making their entrance in the ring in their walk on gear, and their opponent attacks them from behind, knocking them to the ground?

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, bbabba said:

Question for @BomberPat or any one else with an insight. Is there a kayfabe reason why referees ring the bell to start matches when one of the wrestlers is making their entrance in the ring in their walk on gear, and their opponent attacks them from behind, knocking them to the ground?

If both wrestlers are in the ring, you're generally taught to call for the bell on "first contact" if the match begins with a jump start like that.

On 9/20/2024 at 12:32 AM, Rockbus2 said:

I used to work in the Gamestation next door when IPW were running shows there. 

The building you're seeing when you Google now isn't the one where IPW ran. This is the only image I can find online of what it looked like at the time, but this has been completely flattened and rebuilt now to a much bigger complex. 

spacer.png

Locally it was referred to as the Village Halls, especially by the older generation, but at this time it was being branded as Orpington Halls. Although it's not good enough quality to read, you can see from the letter spacing to the top right of the doors that it says "The Orpington Halls". 

Now it's been rebuilt it seems to be being referred to as its original name again. 

Referring to it as an arena is generous to say the least though. Couple of hundred max was the most you could have fit in. Absolutely brilliant memories both of the shows seen there and of being the unofficial video game dealer to the IPW:UK roster. Remember selling games to both Martin Stone and Spud amongst others. 

Thank you so much for the detailed response maestro, appreciate it.

2 hours ago, Hernan said:

Thank you so much for the detailed response maestro, appreciate it.

It was to put it bluntly the shittiest best venue in the UK for a time. It looks a lot better on the outside than it did inside. The interior had peeling paint, musty curtains, urinals out of Victorian times and horrible old plastic chairs. However, the amount of brilliant matches and talent that performed for IPW:UK (and PWG) during it's time being used (05-08 I think) was remarkable. You can look through it on cage match but as well as the top tier talent of the time like Doug Williams, Jonny Storm, Jody Fleisch, Pac and Martin Stone, Drew Galloway/Mcintyre (To name but a few) you had appearances from Kevin Steen/Owens, El Generico, AJ Styles, Frankie Kazarian, Harry Smith, Colt Cabana, Matt Sydal even Becky Lynch (which I do not remember).  There were shows with 150 people there to some rumored to be around 500 like the PWG show and Final Frontiers which felt absolutely packed in. 

On 9/20/2024 at 4:32 AM, Rockbus2 said:

The building you're seeing when you Google now isn't the one where IPW ran. This is the only image I can find online of what it looked like at the time, but this has been completely flattened and rebuilt now to a much bigger complex. 

spacer.png

It's a little-known feature of Google Maps/Street View, but there's options to view (and interact with) all previous image capture dates, see for example the August 2008 view, with what looks like the same poster on the corner of the building.

On 9/23/2024 at 11:09 AM, Tamura said:

It's a little-known feature of Google Maps/Street View, but there's options to view (and interact with) all previous image capture dates, see for example the August 2008 view, with what looks like the same poster on the corner of the building.

Cheers for the trick, I will keep it in mind when I search venues.

I have two question about 1PW. First of all, it's about the arena called The Grandby that they used back in the day. I tried looking for information about this specific arena because it's mentioned in some sites that it's located in either Doncaster or Edlington. It wasn't until I Googled Edlington and learned it's part of Doncaster, located on Broomfield Lane. I tried looking for the arena and found this Facebook profile (pressumably being from the arena). Apparently, when searching on Google Maps (using the trick of searching for yesteryear's maps on street view), the letters matched the Facebook photo that says "Granby Rd WMC". I don't know what does "WMC" stand for but I'm curious if this is the arena or not.

Second question might be a little difficult because I don't have a way to check the show nor a photo saved. I have on my website that Adam Curtis, The Fight Club (Kid Fite & Liam Thomson) and an unknown person came out to the sound of an edited version of "Mein Herz Brennt" by Rammstein with a "Terminator" sound clip attached in the beginning. Does anyone know who was that four person that came out with the three aforementioned people?

Edited by Hernan

5 hours ago, Hernan said:

I have two question about 1PW. First of all, it's about the arena called The Grandby that they used back in the day. I tried looking for information about this specific arena because it's mentioned in some sites that it's located in either Doncaster or Edlington. It wasn't until I Googled Edlington and learned it's part of Doncaster, located on Broomfield Lane. I tried looking for the arena and found this Facebook profile (pressumably being from the arena). Apparently, when searching on Google Maps (using the trick of searching for yesteryear's maps on street view), the letters matched the Facebook photo that says "Granby Rd WMC". I don't know what does "WMC" stand for but I'm curious if this is the arena or not.

Second question might be a little difficult because I don't have a way to check the show nor a photo saved. I have on my website that Adam Curtis, The Fight Club (Kid Fite & Liam Thomson) and an unknown person came out to the sound of an edited version of "Mein Herz Brennt" by Rammstein with a "Terminator" sound clip attached in the beginning. Does anyone know who was that four person that came out with the three aforementioned people?

WMC stands for working mens club and that's all it was, a far cry from the Doncaster dome. 

In 2003, Bryan Danielson wrestled a UK tour under the name "Dynamic Dragon" allegedly because he didn't want to be booed as "The American Dragon". Would he have been booed using it? That seems more of a Yank assumution.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

In 2003, Bryan Danielson wrestled a UK tour under the name "Dynamic Dragon" allegedly because he didn't want to be booed as "The American Dragon". Would he have been booed using it? That seems more of a Yank assumution.

That's about when I started training & attending UK wrestling shows and any American on a show was beloved as the place where the WWE was. I presume he was doing Dixon's shows which often had some kind of "Brit vs Foreigner" as an easy face/heel divide so maybe wanted to avoid muddying that elsewhere on the show?

11 minutes ago, Jesse said:

That's about when I started training & attending UK wrestling shows and any American on a show was beloved as the place where the WWE was. I presume he was doing Dixon's shows which often had some kind of "Brit vs Foreigner" as an easy face/heel divide so maybe wanted to avoid muddying that elsewhere on the show?

Truth be told, Not sure. I saw it on Reddit, and found it utterly bizarre. I guess it was the height of the Iraq War and tensions were high.