VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I love this movie. My favourite thing about is how much of a loser Patrick Bateman is. Yeah, he's rich, handsome and on the surface seems to have it made. But he's a pathetic person with no friends, no one in his life who genuinely cares about him other than his secretary and has a fake job where he sits alone in his office all day pretending to work.

Oh absolutely that's what made me enjoy it so much. I was proper belly laughing at him and not with him. A real sad sack.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, FLips said:

Oh absolutely that's what made me enjoy it so much. I was proper belly laughing at him and not with him. A real sad sack.

The problem when it came out, similar to Joker, was the message was missed and people actually saw him as a role model, not a joke. I had a few college friends who definitely took on traits as they were such fans of the film.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The problem when it came out, similar to Joker, was the message was missed and people actually saw him as a role model, not a joke. I had a few college friends who definitely took on traits as they were such fans of the film.

One thing that stood out to me, and I suppose made me appreciate the comedy more as I saw this after Always Sunny, is how much like Dennis Reynolds he is.

To bump up how much of a loser Bateman actually is there's a theory that so much of the film never actually happens and it's just the sad sacks imagination of what he thinks would be cool and his fantasies, they pretty much point in that direction with the ending but in the book it was far more open ended and left you guessing even more so.

I personally think there's too much evidence that points to him being a killer of at least some of the people but then even then what we see is an exaggerated version of events and all the extreme shallow and commercial "coolness" is BS of what he wishes he was.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

Someone on here was urging people to go and see Argylle and to judge it on its own merits. Do not trust this person, whoever it was, or their opinions on anything ever again. Don't judge it on its own merits, trust all the reviews telling you it's shit and that you should not watch it unless you're an idiot. Like me.

All of Dua Lipa's scenes are in the trailer as well. Just fuck off.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Would love to know what @Carbomb thinks of American Psycho, especially the Huey Lewis scene.

No clue, but I bloody loved Kneecap, which I went to see on Saturday. Wanted to take advantage of National Cinema Day to get a cheap ticket to also see the French production of The Count of Monte Cristo at the same cinema, but unfortunately the showing times clashed. I will see it at some point, as the book is one of my favourites ever.

Kneecap was an absolute blast. Not 100% a true story (the estimate is about 70% true, but they're not saying which parts), but I didn't realise just how recent it was either. Essentially, three Irish speakers in Norn Iron form an Irish-language Republican rap group that puts the backs up of pretty much everyone (especially as the DJ is called DJ Provaí and wears a tricolour mask), except all the younger generations who embrace them, and who feel like they're finally being represented in a world that expects things of them but gives them nothing. Michael Fassbender is great as always in it. Ton of fun.

Edited by Carbomb

Emergency

Like Super Bad if Super Bad had a deep message about racism and the black college experience. I really liked it and it manages to straddle the lines between comedy and the serious nature of what could happen. 

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga

Great stuff. George Miller best get a move on and get as many of these out as he can before he pops his clogs. Great films.

Bullet Train

Brian Tyree Henry doing a cockney accent is a choice. By the numbers action farce set on a train that’s a bit too long and doesn’t really use the decent cast it has particularly well. Aaron Taylor Johnson and Joey King are alright I suppose.

A Family Affair

Nah, not buying Effron and Kidman as a couple in slightest. He had more chemistry with Joey King. Everyone in this is better than this. 

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates

I like everyone in this and it’s a good shit comedy but Anna Kendrick is miscast as a druggy loser. It hasn’t really happened for Adam DeVine but I like him. Get him teamed up with Big Match John for a good shit comedy straight to streaming bromance movie.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Emergency

Like Super Bad if Super Bad had a deep message about racism and the black college experience. I really liked it and it manages to straddle the lines between comedy and the serious nature of what could happen. 

Yeah it's dead good this, really deserves a wider audience than it got.

Been on an Alien binge and my new and correct rankings are:

3 > 1 > 4 > 2

I don't know if it was because it was "The Assembly Cut ' or anything but I adored almost everything about 3, the cast is outstanding and the grim hopeless atmosphere just pulled me right in. Adding back in most of the religious elements was a great idea, I'd kill the a legit Fincher cut but it seems like he hates everything about his time dealing with execs etc and has shut down all talk about the film.

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

ThumbsDownMLB.gif

His ranking of the Alien franchise is even worse than whoever suggested people should watch Argyle…. Right?

Spoiler

I didn’t say it was a masterpiece, it was better then Kingsman 2 and it was a perfectly fine Sunday afternoon turn your brain off film… having had to see it twice (not by choice) I didn’t enjoy it as much as the first time and the Beatles usage was fucking disgraceful.

• Paid Members

I don't watch horrors and I've never seen any of the Alien films other than "Vs Predator", and anyone who reads my opinions in here knows how wrong they are most of the time. That being said, even I know that Alien code is wrong.